I'll be Bach..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Cork wrote:So, while perhaps great respect could be due to a master, perhaps it could also be considered that perhaps even he, JS Bach, could have a human side, as well.

;-)
Even if that's true, be sure that he left them quite different than he found them. There is no composer with a greater insight into the very nature of music and how music works than Bach.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The funny thing is that I am an Atheist but yet I get very emotional about many works of religious music.
Hmmm...perhaps there is a common musical thread in the tunes that really "get" you? Or you are picking up on the emotions the composer intended?

:) Or is it that you are wrong :o and it really is GOD sayin' "hey" to you...

it's my second night of being up waaaay too late at night and I can't think any more....
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chrisoff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Dunno about Bach, but I love some gospel blues songs, even though the lyrics don't mean anything to me. Still can't stand christian rock though. It's like they forgot that it's still supposed to, well, rock.

But is there a point when the song meaning is too important to ignore? I can listen to religious inspired music and ignore the meaning behind the song or make excuses for myself to like it, but what about other stuff I disagree with? There's a certain type of hardcore punk for example that writes white supremacist songs, would it be ok to listen to that if the music was good? Personally I can't sell myself that argument, but it's a thought that occurs to me now and then when I hear Kelly Joe Phelps singing "I Am The Light Of The World" or some other religious song I actually like.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Lambchop wrote:
Richard Katz wrote:dubhlinn,

God is pursuing you.
Beat me to it! :D
beatin' bach
cowtime wrote:
The funny thing is that I am an Atheist but yet I get very emotional about many works of religious music.
Or is it that you are wrong :o and it really is GOD sayin' "hey" to you...
:D nice shot dear!
djm

Post by djm »

chrisoff wrote:But is there a point when the song meaning is too important to ignore?
No, it has no more meaning than you choose to give it. It's all in your imagination. There's nothing wrong with imagining all sorts of things to the music, as long as you know enough to leave it behind when the song is over.
Denny wrote:beatin' bach
No, that's the bach beat. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

djm wrote:
Denny wrote:beatin' bach
No, that's the bach beat. :wink:

djm
You can't lose it.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D good to see you two again!

Nicely played

setup wasn't bad....IMNSHO :wink:
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Cork wrote:So, while perhaps great respect could be due to a master, perhaps it could also be considered that perhaps even he, JS Bach, could have a human side, as well.

;-)
Well of course he was only human. Certainly had to deal with all the BS that goes along with being a working musician, with kids. in fact at one point he was living with wife & kids IN the same classroom wher he had to teach IIRC.
Congratulations wrote: Even if that's true, be sure that he left them quite different than he found them. There is no composer with a greater insight into the very nature of music and how music works than Bach.
We hear JSB this way because his life work was a summary of the epoch prior. he absorbed diverse stylistic differences of works from the early 1700's, and re-cast them, so that we hear subsequent music through a 'bachian' lens..(for lack of a better analogy)
Previously harmony and counterpoint were regarded as opposing forces ( you could have one, but not the other in equal measure), look at early baroque composers like Montiverdi.
Melody and polyphony were looked at the same way: you coule make a polyphonic texture , but it wouldnt be 'cantabile', likewise, you could write a pretty melody, but it would be built on chords realized from figured bass, with just enough passing tones, suspensions, anticipations to give the illusion of polyphony.
JSB's unique skill was melding these four forces in to one unified whole, consicely, while preserving the seperate characterishs of each quality. Although the idea was 'in the air' at the time ( rameau, vivaldi, + handel all were chipping at the same idea)
We also have to consider the composers who influenced JSB and his tradition directly, Buxtehude, Pachelbel, Corelli, Legrenzi.
& as someone has already said (and as I was taught)
good composers steal material from other composers,
GREAT composers steal material from themselves, and there is no shortage of examples of this in JSB. You would too, if you had to write a new cantata every week.

one final thought: when Mendelssohn 'rediscovered' JSB several generations later, a lot of his works had been lost, "legend is" they were being used as wrapping at a shop Felix frequented. one likes to surmise these may have been the bawdy songs of Sebastian, eh?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It seems that some intervals have the potential for emotional impact regardless of genre. I really enjoy hearing a C and F# played together followed by a G and C#. It's pure rapture.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dubhlinn

Re: I'll be Bach..

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote: ~~

But for you, belief and atheism are both functions of the intellect, but music's metier isn't thought, it's emotion.

Bach's music communicates the emotional content of his religious beliefs, not those beliefs themselves. You don't have the beliefs, but you--everyone--has the emotions, and that's what you're experiencing when you listen.

Most interesting.

A fine thought indeed.

By way of returning the compliment I would like to let ye know that Guitar George, who knows all the chords is from Dire Straights song "The Sultans of swing"...nothing to do with Steely Dan at all, at all.

Having said that, Steely Dan take me to places that Bach never even knew existed.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

dubhlinn wrote:By way of returning the compliment I would like to let ye know that Guitar George, who knows all the chords is from Dire Straights song "The Sultans of swing"...nothing to do with Steely Dan at all, at all.
Right you are. For some reason, I've always associated "Hey Nineteen" and "Sultans of Swing", without much liking either.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

s1m0n wrote: Right you are. For some reason, I've always associated "Hey Nineteen" and "Sultans of Swing", without much liking either.
Another wonderful thought there from your good self.

"Hey Nineteen" is a truly great Steely Dan song whereas "The Sultans of Swing" is a very well crafted pop song.

It did cross my mind way back then that after the "Sultans" became a huge hit, every band that came after modelled their guitar sound on Knophler but before him every electric player was going for the Hendrix sound.
So many bands came out later and had great success but Knophlers trademark sound/riffs were ever present.
He did - Knophler, that is-(is there a h in Knophler?) make a great album with Chet Atkins and when Atkins was asked for his opinion of K. he replied..

"The guy can play but you can tell he's self taught."

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Music is a language of emotions that can't be expressed in words. Great music is devalued if you start describing it as "joyous," "sad," or even "emotional." To talk of it in these ways is to misunderstand it and to stunt your ability to let it realise its full potential. It's a mystery that, in spite of centuries of scholarship, remains inchoate in the human soul. I'm a terrible pagan but I'm moved by great cathedrals, the Book of Kells, the Pietas and all manner of religious art and music, and not just Christian either. No-one's going to tell me what should move me as I'm perfectly capable of deciding for myself. I can't imagine life without the B minor Mass or the Goldberg Variations. But I think Beethoven outdid Bach finally with the Diabelli Variations, and certainly with the five late string quartets. I don't need to reason with myself why I like religious music.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cork

Post by Cork »

dubhlinn wrote:..."The Sultans of Swing" is a very well crafted pop song...
Re: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lyh0dhCekt0

;-)
Cork

Post by Cork »

SteveShaw wrote:...But I think Beethoven outdid Bach finally with the Diabelli Variations, and certainly with the five late string quartets...
IMpnsHO, in terms of Western Art Music, nobody, but nobody, has ever outdone JS Bach.

Beethoven holds but a second candle, at most!