Low whistle case

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Welshman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Welshman »

Thanks for some of the suggestions. What seems to be emerging is that there is no purpose-built canvas/ leather case for a low D! Most of us seem to find things we botch together, or alternatively, we find individual artisans (often very talented - as I have seen from the links) who are willing to make things for us.

But isn't this a sad state of affairs given the number of whistlers in the world. I don't want to have to 'make-do' with a plastic roll, a cardboard tube or a piece of piping - my music is of a better quality than that and I want my instrument and me to be respected. The whistle companies (Generation, Feadog, Waltons, Howard, Abell, Kerry and Overton) are quick to take our money, but less inclined to offer us the peripherals. Can you imagine Canon selling you a printer, but not selling the ink? Not sure about the rest of you, but it feels like they are offering me a pint of Guinness - with no head! Tastes good enough and if I drink enough it would get me drunk, but there is something badly missing.

So come on all you business-folk out there, stop ignring the needs of your customers and start coming up with a case we can use, something that looks good, something that is waterproof and something that is hard-wearing.
Makar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Makar »

There are folk out there doing 'production' answers to your question - if you don't want bespoke. Have a look at this flute case for about £23. You would need to get it shipped to the UK, but still...

http://www.flutecase.com/fc/index.php?o ... &Itemid=34
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Welshman wrote:Thanks for some of the suggestions. What seems to be emerging is that there is no purpose-built canvas/ leather case for a low D! Most of us seem to find things we botch together, or alternatively, we find individual artisans (often very talented - as I have seen from the links) who are willing to make things for us.

But isn't this a sad state of affairs given the number of whistlers in the world. I don't want to have to 'make-do' with a plastic roll, a cardboard tube or a piece of piping - my music is of a better quality than that and I want my instrument and me to be respected. The whistle companies (Generation, Feadog, Waltons, Howard, Abell, Kerry and Overton) are quick to take our money, but less inclined to offer us the peripherals. Can you imagine Canon selling you a printer, but not selling the ink? Not sure about the rest of you, but it feels like they are offering me a pint of Guinness - with no head! Tastes good enough and if I drink enough it would get me drunk, but there is something badly missing.

So come on all you business-folk out there, stop ignring the needs of your customers and start coming up with a case we can use, something that looks good, something that is waterproof and something that is hard-wearing.
just thought I mention that every Overton comes with a nylon padded bag and this has for years been part of the package and Bernard Overton always used to have a quite thick felt bag they came with.

Brigitte

Added: And Chris Abell offers an additional bag on his page for his instruments.

P.S. It is not nice to find oneselves name listed and blamed for something that is not correct and could be easily checked, so please in the future do check before you name or accuse makers for something they do not deserve or have nothing to do with.
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

I have a real nice low D whistle case from Sweetheart whistles. I think it cost $35.00 but it is canvas and has a Velcro closer. Also has some pretty good padding. And the whistle is in two parts in the case. I do not know it this would help you or not but you can check out Sweetheart flutes site or email ralphsweet@aol.com . I also do not know if this is just made especially for his whistles or not. Good Luck . :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

violinmyster wrote:I have a real nice low D whistle case from Sweetheart whistles. I think it cost $35.00 but it is canvas and has a Velcro closer. Also has some pretty good padding. And the whistle is in two parts in the case.
How long an instrument will the case accommodate?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rance wrote:Those look like the Tony Dixon carriers that his whistles come in.
That's right. I'm not sure about the drill bits. :-) I have the smaller one with my Dixon trad, and it's quite clever. Sturdy, lightweight, transparent, easy open-close, fits different sizes of whistles. The only caveat is that it's nearly air-tight. So don't store a wet whistle in it for any length of time.

Sorry, I don't know of other sources besides Big Whistle.
Welshman wrote:What seems to be emerging is that there is no purpose-built canvas/ leather case for a low D!
You don't say what kind of whistle you have, but every $100+ whistle I've bought has come supplied with a reasonable case. And I can vouch that Brigitte and Colin's Overton whistle case is very nice. Sturdy black nylon canvas, trimmed and finished, reinforced seams, amply padded, smooth lining. with a tough velcro closure. It's my preferred case for carrying other whistles when my Overtons stay at home.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:That's right. I'm not sure about the drill bits. :-) I have the smaller one with my Dixon trad, and it's quite clever. Sturdy, lightweight, transparent, easy open-close, fits different sizes of whistles. The only caveat is that it's nearly air-tight. So don't store a wet whistle in it for any length of time.
I learnt that lesson after finding some unwanted mould on my Shaw whistle. I keep meaning to drill some air-holes in the case, which should cure the problem.

stay hoopy,
Mike
Welshman

Post by Welshman »

The whistle is a tunable Dixon low D aluminium which cost me about $150 US currency (£85) and only came with a thin transparent case. I want something far more substantial.
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

Steve Bliven wrote:
violinmyster wrote:I have a real nice low D whistle case from Sweetheart whistles. I think it cost $35.00 but it is canvas and has a Velcro closer. Also has some pretty good padding. And the whistle is in two parts in the case.
How long an instrument will the case accommodate?
Its a double compartment case, 16" long in one compartment, 12" in the other. the current low D in it is 1-1/4" wide. If you want a photo, let me know and Ill post one.
Cindy :thumbsup:
walrii

Post by walrii »

Welshman wrote:I don't want to have to 'make-do' with a plastic roll, a cardboard tube or a piece of piping...

...something that looks good, something that is waterproof and something that is hard-wearing.
This might not fit your first desire but it will definitely fill the second. Make your own from PVC pipe. Line the pipe with felt or thin foam, glue a cap on one end and a screw-on plug on the other and you'll have an almost indestructable case for very little money. The same hardware store that carries the PVC pipe will likely have cans of spray paint designed for PVC plastic. I painted mine emerald green.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

violinmyster wrote: Its a double compartment case, 16" long in one compartment, 12" in the other.
Drat. I was hoping it was just a bit longer - need something slightly larger.

Thanks.

Steve
azw

Post by azw »

walrii wrote:... Make your own from PVC pipe. Line the pipe with felt or thin foam, glue a cap on one end and a screw-on plug on the other and you'll have an almost indestructable case for very little money. The same hardware store that carries the PVC pipe will likely have cans of spray paint designed for PVC plastic. I painted mine emerald green.
That does work well. I've made a number of them. I don't glue the end caps. That way, any end is the right end. I think you'll need to drill vent holes in the tubes to prevent the growth of mold.

Some of the examples others have pointed to are made in this manner, too. They're just duded up more:
Flutecase.com
OregonFluteStore.com
Art Zoller Wagner
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

For smaller whistles try drumstick cases. Should accomodate sizes at least up to non tunable Bb and tunable (removable head) lower whistles.

Owen
Makar

Post by Makar »

I like that idea. Easy to put together and very tough. I have two weeks holiday coming up in a remote little highland cottage - I will take some bits and pieces up and make one and take some relaxing time over the paintwork. I imagine foam padding the screw-on plugs either end but maybe just leaving a 'wrap' of thin foam inside to remove, wrap whistle and put back in? Quite tricky to adhere foam to the inside of the tube permanently I would guess? Line of drill holes down one side to let it breath.

thanks for the thought
Stephen
walrii wrote:
Welshman wrote:I don't want to have to 'make-do' with a plastic roll, a cardboard tube or a piece of piping...

...something that looks good, something that is waterproof and something that is hard-wearing.
This might not fit your first desire but it will definitely fill the second. Make your own from PVC pipe. Line the pipe with felt or thin foam, glue a cap on one end and a screw-on plug on the other and you'll have an almost indestructable case for very little money. The same hardware store that carries the PVC pipe will likely have cans of spray paint designed for PVC plastic. I painted mine emerald green.
ambaiste

Low Whistle Case

Post by ambaiste »

Howard Music's top of the range Tuneable Low D comes with a solid Oak presentation box. see image