Getting ripped in 23 weeks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

Re: Getting ripped in 23 weeks

Post by Lambchop »

Flyingcursor wrote:My question. Is 23 weeks enough?

Most important, is it physiologically doable?
I think 23 weeks is enough to improve things. Shoot, anything more than what you do now is an improvement.
Cotelette d'Agneau
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

I'm no expert, so all I can offer is my own anecdotes.

A couple of years ago, at age, uh... 44 I guess, I got on a moderate health kick. I lost 20 pounds over the course of a year. Not particularly rapid progress, but, not all that difficult to do either.

I never did get "ripped" but I felt a good sense of accomplishment, each time I'd pass another 5 pound mark. There's something about us humans (having 5 finger hands?).... we like to pass milestones that end in 5.

If your metabolism is like mine, then losing half a pound a week isn't very difficult. In 23 weeks, you could lose over 10 pounds, which will feel very good as you approach a, uh, significant birthday event.

But... ripped? That sounds dangerous, esp. if you have any history of health issues. Me, personally, well I have a herniated disc that once caused me bout of pinched nerve unpleasantness, requiring phyiscal therapy. And then, the next year when I was on my health kick, I overdid the exercise by just a little, I probably exercised with some improper posture I think, and.... aggravated the pinched nerve again, and had to go back to physical therapy AGAIN.

So I guess my advice to you is: Don't overdo it. Getting ripped sounds risky. You can lose 10 lbs without overdoing it, which will help you feel good about your age and your state. Overdoing it, and ending up in physical therapy, will not make you feel good about yourself! Your mileage may vary, of course.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

23 weeks is plenty to do just about anything. That's enough time to go slowly, which you should definitely do.

I'm not quite 50 yet, but I'll be running my first marathon in a couple of months. Ra willing. Getting in shape in the twilight of ones, uhmm, ability to get in shape is fun. Go for it
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Soory Flydood, I couldn't resist posting the Charles Atlas comic. (I always liked the one where the bully kicked beach sand on the skinny guy.) All joking aside, it is definitely possible to improve your physique in middle age. JES is right, though: it does take longer than if you were still in your 20s. Take it slow and steady. And discuss it with your doctor first, if you haven't already.

I'm 43 years old. I hike quite a bit, especially during the summer months, but that was pretty much the only exercise I got until last November. That's when I started taking a 1-hour strength & flexibility class 3 days a week after work. It's been longer than 23 weeks, and I'm by no means "ripped", but I'm in better physical condition than I've been since my college days. I have more energy, do better on long, strenuous hikes, and simply feel better overall.

I've found the class setting is best for me. Working out with others keeps me motivated, and the instructor makes sure we're doing the exercises correctly. (Don't underestimate the importance of proper form. It's all too easy to injure yourself by moving incorrectly.)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

chas wrote:23 weeks is plenty to do just about anything. That's enough time to go slowly, which you should definitely do.
Of course it is, especially if you are a trifle sane about it. Dunno how ripped you want to be but 23 weeks of consistent workouts will make you more ripped than you are now. Chas is running a marathon as he approaches 50; if you are aware of what YOUR body can or cannot do you can improve your physical condition at any stage of your life.

I just passed 74 and as a lifelong asthmatic I figured I would overachieve if it killed me. I wised up to the point that it hasn't killed me but I lead a better life than I ever thought I would (and a longer one, too), in part because I work out on a daily basis. Do I overdo it? Sure do. Do I pay the price for overdoing it? Sure do. Do other physical problems hamper my efforts to achieve perfection? Sure do.

Just be realistic about who you are and what your limitations may be.

Than exceed them. :D

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Great to hear all the good advice.
I have definitive monthly goals. I will discuss this with a trainer today after work.
I'll let you know. 10 lbs in 23 weeks is not an option unless it's a net loss after losing at least 20lbs in fat and gaining 10lbs in muscle.

I know with diet and exercise I can lose 15 lbs in 6 weeks. I've done it before.

I'll let you know how it went on my birthday. Feb 10th.

I'll send nude before and after pictures!!!!! :boggle:
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Flyingcursor wrote:
... ummm, errr, ummm, maybe not? :shock: :shock: :shock:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
... ummm, errr, ummm, maybe not? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Flydood, I think you just guaranteed that no one will open a thread you start on Feb 10th. :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Well, ripped or not, jumping the 5-0 hurdle is liberating and comes with plenty of perks of it's own.

Just wait.....you'll see.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hey, Fly, a couple pieces of advice that have been touched on but not quite said outright:

--find a workout you enjoy. Most people don't have the self discipline to do something they hate on a regular basis when they don't have to.
--get a friend to do this with you if you can. Then you're committed and less likely to wimp out after a hard day of work.

Tom (not ripped, but able to get the job done :) )
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

I sure do think you can!!!Of course, you won't get the shape of one of these youngsters anymore but I have seen some at my local sportschool of your age showing what you still can reach for.

What comes to mind is bodybuilding but you have to like that of course.
It is a challenge for yourself as you can see the results (or better said, feel the results) happen when you are pushing your limits.

Whatever you choose to do, do it on a regular base, say three times a week and also look into making a good food schedule.
Eating six times a day small meals instead of three big ones, helps keep up the energy for everything, with ratios like 50% carb, 25% protein and 25% fat. But that is personal and your trainer should be able to help you with this, depending on your work and chosen sports.

Wishing you good luck and waiting for the ripped pics.........
Berti
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Berti66 wrote:Eating six times a day
Yes!
Berti66 wrote: small meals instead of three big ones
Oh. Nevermind.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

awww poor lambchop.......it isn't as bad as you think, they are still meals....just not huge ones ;) if that is a comfort to you......

berti
ps thanks for the giggle
djm

Post by djm »

There was a newspaper article I read recently where the writer had taken it on himself to eat as much as the Olympic swimming medalist Phelps for one day. He couldnt do it. What he failed to realize is that muscle tissue is burning calories all day long, even at rest. If you dont have the muscles, youre not going to be able to handle those six meals a day. Start out with the exercise routines first, in order to bild up muscle tissue. Your growing hunger will start to dictate when and how much to eat. Then you just have to concern yourself with what you eat in order to support your goal of looking ripped.

Remember that once you outgrow your need ot look ripped, you will not be able to easily give up the increased capacity to eat, and the muscles will turn to fat eventually. Sometimes its better to just get trim rather than go to extremes like looking ripped.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote:There was a newspaper article I read recently where the writer had taken it on himself to eat as much as the Olympic swimming medalist Phelps for one day. He couldnt do it. What he failed to realize is that muscle tissue is burning calories all day long, even at rest. If you dont have the muscles, youre not going to be able to handle those six meals a day.
Kevin Cowherd, a Baltimore Sun columnist, did the same experiment for the purposes of a column, but he did point out that Phelps burns more calories sitting at a desk than a shlumpy reporter like himself burns jogging.
Cowherd went to the actual dining venues frequented by Phelps when he was training in Baltimore, so they gave him the precise favorite meals. It was a remarkable array of food. Cowherd--not a petite person--couldn't come close.