Keys? Metal working? Wood working?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Another option is to check with the folks on the board who refurbish antique flutes. That's how I got my Hall and Son six-key, and it's a great flute. Keep your eyes open, and if you see something that you like, then email whoever is working on it. You never know until you try whether it's for sale or not.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hibiki wrote:Cork - Wow, such practical ideas! I knew there had to be an easy way to make my own keys.
Sounds easy, but it is not. Fun and worthwhile trying, but I promise you, it will be anything but easy.

Loren
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I like Dow's sig line for this question.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool. :D
dow

Post by dow »

:D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Following on from Cork's post, I long ago thought, after my own experiments with conduit tube flutes, that it would not be too difficult to work out ways to make simple keys in the self material - it is quite stiff and not too hard to work. One could build up laminated "blocks" to glue on where necessary, cut key-arms the hole-covering flap of which would be set at the right curvature for the tube surface by warming it, and a seal provided by attaching a layer of that very thin "craft" sheet foam that is a bit like felt. Springing could be achieved in various ways - magnetic repulsion, a sliver of the same plastic, purchased woodwind "spares" new bronze springs attached by screws to the plastic key shank, etc.

It would take a bit of planning, some experimentation and some practice, and might be a bit fiddly until you got through several prototypes, but I reckon it would not be "difficult" as such.

Note that the electrical conduit tube we get in GB (and I presume across Europe) is quite stiff, yet can be warmed up with a hot air gun (paint stripper) to shape it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

You are talking about plastic conduit, aren't you? I wouldn't trust a metal that could be bent by a glorified hair dryer. :D
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Ronbo wrote:You are talking about plastic conduit, aren't you? I wouldn't trust a metal that could be bent by a glorified hair dryer. :D
Indeed yes. (Said so, didn't I? - "simple keys in the self material ".) I wouldn't let one of those stripper guns anywhere near hair, though! The plastic of the conduit goes hard again when cooled!

Of course, silver/German Silver/brass keys can be bent by bare hand or other untoward occurrence without any heat. Flex the plastic (tube or a strip cut out of it) at room temperature and it will just spring back unless very severely bent and twisted.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Never considered the idea of making a flute key from pvc or cpvc or related plastic. Might work very well, and a little easier to work with than metal.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Loren wrote:
Hibiki wrote:Cork - Wow, such practical ideas! I knew there had to be an easy way to make my own keys.
Sounds easy, but it is not. Fun and worthwhile trying, but I promise you, it will be anything but easy.

Loren
You're right, Loren, there are a lot of details to work out, and as Jem later noted, it's likely that a few prototypes will need to be made. However, I proceeded on the basis that "where there's a will, there's a way," etc.

To better align the key to the hole, it might be better to make the block, the key, and the pin, as a complete assembly, before attaching it to the flute.

It may be necessary to include a small, wedge shaped block on the bottom side of the key, on which to mount the spring, to give the spring the right angle. Also, the spring would need to have a slightly curved "foot" to it, where it comes into contact with the flute, such that the spring could then slide on the flute, and not wear a hole through the flute.

Unfortunately, hacksaw blades tend to break when trying to bend them. However, another possible source for a spring might be to go to an automotive supply store, and get a small set of feeler, or thickness, gages (the kind once commonly used for adjusting spark plugs, ignition points, and intake and exhaust valves, etc.), which are "springy" and, since they come in a set of different sizes, they therefore would have a range of "springiness" to the set of them, allowing for a choice of spring strengths.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

As the old rabbit recipe stated: First catch a rabbit.

That can be applied to making a good-enough sounding simple flute to put a key on. It can be fun, but not always easy, even if you have a recipe to follow. Make yourself a good-sounding keyless flute then worry about the key. Then post us a clip. :)