Stockholm Uilleann gathering 2008 - The Coyne set conundrum

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
liraman
antispam: No

Re: Stockholm Uilleann gathering 2008 - The Coyne set conund

Post by liraman »

[quote="Hans-Joerg"][quote="MarcusR"]

Jan (aka [url=http://www.tongang.se/liraman/The_Liram ... ience.html]Liraman[/url]) has put up some photos and clips
[/quote]

Hi,
could you post any more close-up shots of the set? Actually, the old unfocused photos depict the set itself better :sniffle: , except the one you posted here directly.[/quote]

I have now added a note on the above site just to underline that this is NOT in any kind a report on the set, just a few pics and a clip I took on a very succesful UP meeting in Stockholm. Nor the pics or the sound from the clip do justice to this complex instrument.

For all questions on close ups or details, please contact Bailey/Haneman who are active on this forum.
liraman

Re: Stockholm Uilleann gathering 2008 - The Coyne set conund

Post by liraman »

[quote="Hans-Joerg"][quote="MarcusR"]

Jan (aka [url=http://www.tongang.se/liraman/The_Liram ... ience.html]Liraman[/url]) has put up some photos and clips
[/quote]

Hi,
could you post any more close-up shots of the set? Actually, the old unfocused photos depict the set itself better :sniffle: , except the one you posted here directly.[/quote]

I have now added a note on the above site just to underline that this is NOT in any kind a report on the set, just a few pics and a clip I took on a very succesful UP meeting in Stockholm. Nor the pics or the sound from the clip do justice to this complex instrument.

For all questions on close ups or details, please contact Bailey/Haneman who are active on this forum.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

There seem to be quite an interest in this set as I get request for detailed photos of various parts.
This thread was as Jan pointed out just to let you know that there now is an Uilleann pipers Club in Sweden, that wee have had our first meeting (tionol) and little about what we were doing that weekend.

When it comes to the Stockholm Kenna/Coyne set there are some very unique features regarding the set that cant be seen in the previous pictures by Olle Gällmo and Stefan Kayat or the later by Tomas J as they were not allowed to take the set apart. We took some pictures during Bill's and Chris presentation of the set but as both of them took the time and effort to come to Stockholm, spending three days to measure and document the set I strongly feel we all better give them some time to publish their findings first instead of stealing all the raisins :wink:

I got quite a few PM's regarding the video clip from the presentation that might deserve some clarification.

First, that fact we got the hear Bill play the chanter was a big, and pleasant, surprise to us all, it was nothing we had anticipated. Bill got an ok from the curator just a before the meeting started with only a few minutes to get the feel of the chanter and try out his own reed. As this was something unexpected we didn't have a camcorder at hand and the video clip is recorded in video mode with a standard digital photo camera with limited audio capabilities.

Second, in the clip you can hear Chris talk about the "bore being rough" while the set and the chanter is in picture. Chris is here referring to the extra Bass regulator and not the chanter that had a bore in perfect condition according to Chris and Bill.

I'm sure where will be a lot more about this set with details, high resolution pictures and all when Bill and Chris are finished with their calculations and conclusions. We all just have to wait and give them some time. With a bit of wishful thinking this might lead to a new exhibition in the future, with a pro piper playing the set :wink:

In all we had a great weekend gathering 10 out of the ~15 known uilleann pipers in Sweden. Hopefully now when a pipers Club is being formed we will have a better opportunity to invite more pipers and teachers to next years event.

All the best!

/MarcusR

http://www.tongang.se/UP_sthlm08/UP-sth ... hlm08.html
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Am surprised that its history is unknown as it looks like a very complex set. Surely an instument like this would have been made to be played and could hardly have gone un-noticed

Has either Bill or Chris received a request for a copy yet and if so what was the price tag :o

John