To fly or not to fly

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Remember the difference in time zones and plan your arrival time accordingly.

Whenever possible (and considering the difference in time zones) try get a flight that will allow you to sleep through all/most of the flight.

One of the main factors to jet lag is dehydration on the flight. Drink lots, yes, but drink water, not alcohol.

Breaking up your regular daytime and sleep patterns for the week before you go can also help you to restructure your body habits to minimize jet lag.

You don't want to waste the first few days of your trip feeling wasted and overtired.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: To fly or not to fly

Post by Redwolf »

izzarina wrote:I am flying over the pond in June, and I'm a bit anxious about it. Yes, my name is Izz, and I am afraid to fly. I'd much rather be Ireland bound on a ship called Titanic at this point....I almost think my chances would be better ;). But seriously, what do you do to get over such a thing? Or does this border on a medical type posting? I'm not asking for cures, just something to keep my mind off the fact that I'll be waaaaaaaaay up in the air, flying over a huuuuuuuuuuuuge body of water. :) Anyone?
Hey Izz...

Have you done much flying? I ask because, as someone who used to suffer from extreme flight anxiety, I've found that the more I know about what's going on, the more comfortable I am. The first time I flew (when I was 18 ), my family and friends had made the mistake of telling me "Oh, those planes are so big, you'll never even know you're moving!" Bull sh*t! I was totally unprepared for all the normal sounds and movements the airplane makes...let alone routine turbulence...and was utterly terrified every time the plane banked or rocked, or made a noise I didn't expect. What really helped was marrying a guy who had grown up on airplanes (my husband has traveled all over the world, starting when he was about three years old). When we started traveling together, he pointed out everything to me...this sound was the landing gear coming up, that sound was the flaps being raised, etc. When we'd hit turbulence, he'd talk about why this particular patch of air was rough, and why it really wasn't a problem. I'm one of those people who really has to KNOW things, and I found that incredibly helpful. I've since talked a lot of nervous fliers through the experience.

I'm with Steve here. Don't let yourself build this up into a phobia. It's NORMAL to have some anxiety over a situation that's unfamiliar. You need to remind yourself that this is a form of transportation that MILLIONS of people take advantage of every day and, as unfamiliar as it may be to you, to many, if not most, people, it's routine. I find it helpful to look at the flight attendants and realize that, for them, each flight is just another day on the job...no different from going to the office. Familiarize yourself with what's normal and routine. Think of it as getting on a bus or a train.

Flying is just how people get places. You're going to be fine. If you're really, truly, terrified, ask your doctor for something for anxiety (I have a friend who actually does have a crippling flying phobia, but she's so totally into the idea of traveling, she just takes her prescription and deals), but seriously...in most cases, familiarity is all it takes. I KNOW how much you're looking forward to this trip, so if there's anything I can do to help, drop me a PM. Hell, if you like, I'll give you my phone number, and talk you through it whenever the FTA will let us use cell phones!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Never really had problems actually flying, but take-offs and landings bother me. These days they pipe music through headphones connected to the armrests of the chair. I found that was very relaxing. The best was on the Saudia flights, where they had one channel devoted to the Koran being sung. It was so new to me at the time, and so alien, that it really relaxed me. They tend to have films on long flights. These are a useful distraction too.

It might cheer you up to consider that airmail letters very very rarely go astray. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Redwolf wrote: whenever the FTA will let us use cell phones!
That's my idea of the very depths of hell -- trapped for hours next to some babbling myspacer or self-important bidnessman. Airplanes are our last refuge from these ill-mannered phone whores who think that their sad little lives are so interesting that everyone needs to share their story.

Please, god, please -- don't let the FAA allow cell phone use in flight.
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Gonzo, they're starting to plan for allowing it in the UK. :(

I used to get very ill on flights but somehow I grew out of it over time. I absolutely LOVE flying - the whole experience, even the annoying bits on each end. In the past few years I have developed an aversion to the landings but I just try not to think about it, and deal.

Izz remember - this is the plane getting you to IRELAND! It's worth a bit of anxiety. And once you're at crusing altitude and they turn on the video screens there will be so many good movies to watch that you'll wish the flight was even longer. ;)
dwest

Post by dwest »

Last edited by dwest on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HampshireWhistler

Post by HampshireWhistler »

izzarina wrote:I am flying over the pond in June, and I'm a bit anxious about it. Yes, my name is Izz, and I am afraid to fly. I'd much rather be Ireland bound on a ship called Titanic at this point....I almost think my chances would be better ;). But seriously, what do you do to get over such a thing? Or does this border on a medical type posting? I'm not asking for cures, just something to keep my mind off the fact that I'll be waaaaaaaaay up in the air, flying over a huuuuuuuuuuuuge body of water. :) Anyone?
Don't forget to pack your parachute? :wink:
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged." - G.K. Chesterton
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

HampshireWhistler wrote:
Don't forget to pack your parachute? :wink:
Oh ha ha ha....where have you been lately anyway? Did you hear about my birthday pressie? It's WAAAAAAAAAY cool :party:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

anniemcu wrote:Knitting, crossword puzzles, loads of mp3s, books on tape, meditation, someone new to talk to, a silent whistle to practice with ... (I'm looking for similar distractions, a month earlier!)
Are you allowed to take knitting needles again? Not that I really knit, but I'm just wondering ;) I do have other things too, and it's not like I'm REALLY afraid...just a wee bit anxious. I've actually been flying since I was about 9... twice a year at that time to go visit my dad in the Philly area. I've also flown from Seattle to Syracuse, NY (and back again....how Bilbo-esque of me! ;) ), so I've done longer flights. But I have NEVER actually gotten to the point where I liked it, or wasn't anxious about it. This time, we're going from Syracuse to Boston first.....on a little prop-job. :boggle: I hate propeller planes. But then, once we get to Boston, we take Aer Lingus to Dublin. I do know that one shouldn't be so bad...it's just the THOUGHT of being up so high over a vast body of water. I don't think I'll really get to the point where I'm terrified, and I know I'll get on the plane. It's just the thought of it all. Bleh....

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :) I can't believe I'm leaving in what....10 weeks-ish???? :party: :party: :party:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

SteveShaw wrote:Just don't go near alcohol at all (not even Doom Bar! :D ).
That's big advice from you, Steve! :lol: You can't get Doom Bar in Ireland, can you? That's just a Bude thing, isn't it? (yes, I'm hijacking my own thread ;) )
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

SteveShaw wrote:Just make sure you're good and ready well in advance and avoid last-minute hassles like the plague.
True. The plague would be quite a hassle. They probably woudn't even let her onboard.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Those little motion sickness arm bands really work. Get one if you've never flown; you never know whether you'll need it.
They are made of nice strong coated paper, and make great gift bags if they are not used (if you have friends with a sense of humor)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

izzarina wrote:I hate propeller planes.
:o I'd rather have some glide path :o
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

izzarina wrote:
anniemcu wrote:Knitting, crossword puzzles, loads of mp3s, books on tape, meditation, someone new to talk to, a silent whistle to practice with ... (I'm looking for similar distractions, a month earlier!)
Are you allowed to take knitting needles again? Not that I really knit, but I'm just wondering ;) I do have other things too, and it's not like I'm REALLY afraid...just a wee bit anxious. I've actually been flying since I was about 9... twice a year at that time to go visit my dad in the Philly area. I've also flown from Seattle to Syracuse, NY (and back again....how Bilbo-esque of me! ;) ), so I've done longer flights. But I have NEVER actually gotten to the point where I liked it, or wasn't anxious about it. This time, we're going from Syracuse to Boston first.....on a little prop-job. :boggle: I hate propeller planes. But then, once we get to Boston, we take Aer Lingus to Dublin. I do know that one shouldn't be so bad...it's just the THOUGHT of being up so high over a vast body of water. I don't think I'll really get to the point where I'm terrified, and I know I'll get on the plane. It's just the thought of it all. Bleh....

Thanks for all the advice everyone. :) I can't believe I'm leaving in what....10 weeks-ish???? :party: :party: :party:
Nope...still no knitting needles, I'm afraid. At the Louisville airport, as we were going through security, they had a big display of things that were allowed and things that weren't. The "not allowed" side was absolutely full of all kinds of day-to-day objects, and the "allowed" side only had a small bin.

I used to be nervous about the prop jobs too, but I've flown on several turboprop planes now, and have never had a bad experience.

When I referred to cell phone usage, Gonzo, I was referring to the time when you're taxiing after landing or before the airplane lines up with the runway, when you ARE allowed to use cell phones.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Redwolf wrote:When I referred to cell phone usage, Gonzo, I was referring to the time when you're taxiing after landing or before the airplane lines up with the runway, when you ARE allowed to use cell phones.
I tolerate patiently cell phone use while taxiing up to the gate, because those kind of have a purpose and are generally brief. But before the door closes -- not so much. I tend to whistle or talk to myself or just have a nice hum and generally make irritating noises if some pinhead is sitting next to me braying into a cell phone.

If they are ever allowed during flight, I shall have to start reading out loud.
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow