Airport Security/Whistle Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yeah, seems like those airport x-ray techs don't give a darn about whistles. I've taken 6 flights since "The Day", each time with a bunch of whistles both wood and metal, High and Low in my carry-ons. Each time my bags went through x-ray I was totally surprised that those various sized tubes didn't bother anyone, not once did anyone say a word.

Perhaps it's because the whistles show up as hollow - aside from the fipple blocks - I don't know. When I look at the x-ray of my carry-on going through it looks like a bunch of sticks of dynamite! But then maybe that explains why I can't get work as a Radiologist :lol:

Loren
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I don't know why they don't look closer at the big whistles, but they should. In my experience at LAX with the Irish low D player, his wife said "I'm glad they didn't confiscate our whistle, but if they don't ask what that 'shotgun barrel thing' is in our baggage, what else are they missing?" It wasn't a very good feeling when I got on the plane.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

I don't think this is a real concern... real shotgun barrels are much thicker walled, made of much denser and heavier material, and require both ammunition and a firing mechanism to be effective. Trying to use a whistle body as a firearm (given the other components and no finger holes...) would turn it into metal confetti.

Try going on with a length of cold rolled steel with a .457 inch hole bored down the center and see what happens, and then we'll know if they're really sleeping on the job. :wink:

--Chris
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

For all the jokin, I really appreciate this knowledge as I am leaving for East Coast early Sat morning and wanted to take my Burkes. maybe even the new low one.
I have had the "confiscation nightmare" as a subtext leading up to this trip.

When other Weekender flew back there, they bent the nail file off of her nail clippers, thus rendering it "safe" for travel.
Wasn't she lucky?

As for packing steel stock just to see what happens: don't be givin' out ideas to those who might actually enjoy being strip searched!!
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Just slightly off topic:
I've traveled a couple of times with my flute(s) as hand luggage, and no-one's ever asked questions - which struck me as a bit odd, given the shape of the parts, the case they're carried in, and the metal keys sticking out at odd angles... but as for using instruments as weapons, flutes can be most effective blowpipes - just take some peanuts, cover all the holes, and blow through the embouchure hole! :smile: Those things HURT!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fluter d,

you sound like the voice of experience.

Just how loud were those tourists in that pub??!! HA! And did they know what hit em??????
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Well, just a bit loud... and
by the time they came 'round, we'd subdued anyone who might have told them. We explained that bits of the ceiling sometimes fell off at speed... They were fine by the time they went home...

No, seriously, I was ducking at the time. Nothing to do with me! :smile:
Deirdre
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

"Nothing to do with me."

I may not have kissed the Blarney Stone, but I know all about you Corkers, or Corkonians!! Coogan taught me all about the scrappin in his bio of Michael Collins.

It was that other bloke, honest!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hm. I'm bringing protection when i come to Limerick.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-21 16:45, ChrisA wrote:
I don't think this is a real concern... real shotgun barrels are much thicker walled, made of much denser and heavier material, and require both ammunition and a firing mechanism to be effective. Trying to use a whistle body as a firearm (given the other components and no finger holes...) would turn it into metal confetti.--Chris
That wasn't what I meant, Chris. I was thinking of the security guard watching thru the x ray machine, seeing this thing that looks like a gun barrel come thru, and he/she doesn't even question what it is. They have no idea what a low D looks like, in all probability, so for all intents and purposes, they might just let a gun get thru without blinking an eye.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey D: Didnt you know that airport screeners are HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS??? And soon, they'll all be FEDERAL EMPLOYEES!!!
Of course they know their metal densities..............
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-08-21 19:06, The Weekenders wrote:
Hey D: Didnt you know that airport screeners are HIGHLY TRAINED PROFESSIONALS??? And soon, they'll all be FEDERAL EMPLOYEES!!!
Of course they know their metal densities..............
Yeah, if you like the postal service, you'll LOVE the new screeners we've hired! And with the Americans with Disabilities Act, at least a certain percentage of them have to be blind, right? See my quote below:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

This just proves that the Crystal People are in control of more than we think...
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

My job rquires that I fly every week, and I always have several whistles in my laptop bag (2 Clarkes; 2 Sweetones; Susato D, A and sometimes low D; and Dixon D and A, usally all at once), and I've never had a bit of trouble. I've checked with both airline and security supervisors and been told there's no reason to restrict any of these, and I've never had them questioned by the x-ray screeners. I've seen what they look like on the x-ray, and if you know what a whistle is, you can tell what they are. And the image is clear enough that even if you don't know what a whistle is, you can tell these aren't anything that's prohibited.

The only time I've had anyone express any interest in them is when I've been picked for "random" search and they're going through my bag. I keep the whistles all in Susato bags, so they always pull them out and ask what's in them, but the most that ever happens is they ask me to take them out of the bag.

Once I offered to play one, and the security woman said "Go ahead if you want." So I played the A part of "Get Up Old Woman and Shake Yourself" while she went through the rest of my bag. Then she told me that the week before, they had a piper go through and one of the new security guys asked him to play, more out of curiosity than anything. "We won't do that again," she said.

Here's a list of TSA prohibited items -- nothing even close to a whistle. http://www.dfwairport.com/misc/pdf/banned_items.pdf
If any of the security people give you any crap, ask for a supervisor.

And finally, concerning federalization of airport security -- I've seen some very good airport security operations, and I've also seen security personnel who look like they either just got off work release or were the product of some security company's "Hire the Stupid" program. I will be more than willing to settle for post office standards; consistent mediocrity would be an improvement at many of the airports I've been in.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Weekenders:
I just know this won't make you feel any better, but the reason I was ducking was that the other flute players (one of them from very near Limerick city... hmmm :smile:) had very good aim, and had been practicing. So really I have a good excuse! So there! :smile:
Deirdre
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

I was stopped at X-ray with a whistle once - a guinness black. It wasn't because I might physically hurt someone, but that if I blew it, someone might get a shock. Well in my hands, I couldn't disagree with that!

But seriously, I fly with whistles in UK & Europe every week with no bother. Only last week I had 5 Sindts (don't ask, I'm not telling) through without a hitch.