Take a look at this guys and girls

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
johnkerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by johnkerr »

I clearly see now what has been holding me back in my own attempts to become a decent flute player. I mistakenly was thinking I needed to leave my shirt on while playing. Obviously it's having the chest exposed that enables the player to summon all that power. It has nothing to do with the type of flute being played.

The leather vest helps a lot too in focusing the skin exposure towards the lung area and the diaphragm. Also, it conveniently conceals any love handles on the player, which can detract from the visual aesthetic. I hear Patrick Olwell has a few prototype vests going and will be selling them soon. Already there's a three year waiting list, though. Bummer. Us older guys need to have the hope of being able to wear one sometime before we develop man boobs.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

John, have you developed a theory for the mylar tape? Is it some sort of substitute for hose clamps?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
sponge
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

So am I right in thinking the rest of you male chiffers are not always clad in leather with you chest hanging out when playing the flute :D

And back to the question, so far Jim would compare his Byrne to Flatleys flute as being close to the tone, I know there are a few guys out there with original Rudalls, how do your models compare to Mr Flatleys.

sponge
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Aanvil wrote:

Ya don't suppose that there might be a little syncing going on do ya?

Just a wee bit meeby?

;) :D
Yep, my thoughts also. I also wonder whether that the object in his hand is a flute at all but, more likely, a flute-like-object with silver tape, one that he converts into a twirling baton at the end of the performance. Can you see someone twirling their blackwood Olwell flute like that? OK, I'll take off my Scrouge outfit now. Gosh, everything looks much nicer with these rose-colored glasses. .
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

All these Celtic Tiger clips led me to the inevitable strip tease:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=F1AfRJ-YS8w

People don't seem to realize that real dancers don't have any body fat.
Go see Zoomanity or the Mulin Rouge, and you'll know what I'm talking
about.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I have a whole new respect for the man now that I know he puts his Teflon tape on just like the rest of us. (Although I definitely must try the dangly-bit idea and see if that improves my playing)

I saw keys there. I also saw heard the thing rattling around loose in that nice leather briefcase. :o

Erm, one more question ... isn't he from Chicago? Never met someone from Chicago who sounds like that .... ?

Brilliant flute player nonetheless, and a heck of a performer, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I like how he handled that first G roll & the rest of the A part rolls/rhythm on the Crooked Road.

Smart! Cool! (And DUH! to me -- I've always been a bit flummoxed by the rhythm there.) That seems to give the tune the punch I've never been able to give it.

Thanks, Mr. Flatley! :-)

And my apologies for the jokes.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Aanvil wrote:

Just a wee bit meeby?

Yep, my thoughts also. I also wonder whether that the object in his hand is a flute at all but, more likely, a flute-like-object with silver tape, one that he converts into a twirling baton at the end of the performance. Can you see someone twirling their blackwood Olwell flute like that? OK, I'll take off my Scrouge outfit now. Gosh, everything looks much nicer with these rose-colored glasses. .
Certainly MF is capable of covering an Olwell
Pratten with silver tape and twirling it like a baton. (Maybe
he wouldn't do it with a keyed version.) Madness,
no question, but hey, that's show biz!

This guy is extraordinarily gifted on several fronts.
As to his being a ham, well, as Will Durant said about
Attila the Hun, he's the sort of man he needs to
be to do the things he does.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

sponge wrote:So am I right in thinking the rest of you male chiffers are not always clad in leather with you chest hanging out when playing the flute :D

And back to the question, so far Jim would compare his Byrne to Flatleys flute as being close to the tone, I know there are a few guys out there with original Rudalls, how do your models compare to Mr Flatleys.

sponge
As to the first question, you ain't tried nothin till you've tried
busking nekkid.

As to the second, well, a revision of it--Rod Cameron's flutes
are very close copies of 19th century rudalls. He copied
Chris Norman's rudall for Chris and it does what the
original did. Maybe even an improvement.
cocusflute

Post by cocusflute »

Flatley is admired and respected by Matt Molloy and by Mike Rafferty.
The man's a genius - that's clear to me if not to ye slackers.
Give the guy a break. You don't have to love him.
If you lived in Italy wouldn't you try to sound like an Italian?
What's wrong with trying to sound like an Irishman? The rhythms are lovely, speaking as well as playing.
And do you really think Flatley needs to lip sync?
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Now, now .... What good is being a punter if you don't get the odd kick now and again?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Gabriel wrote:His flute must be brutally loud. Or can anyone spot a microphone?
Mr. Flately is dressed for sound in the video linked to by Henke. He is wearing wireless in-ear monitors as well as a wireless micro headset microphone. The mic is on the left side of his face with the capsule just under his left cheekbone.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

cocusflute wrote:Flatley is admired and respected by Matt Molloy and by Mike Rafferty.
The man's a genius - that's clear to me if not to ye slackers.
Give the guy a break. You don't have to love him.
If you lived in Italy wouldn't you try to sound like an Italian?
What's wrong with trying to sound like an Irishman? The rhythms are lovely, speaking as well as playing.
And do you really think Flatley needs to lip sync?
What I cannot figure at all, as much as I attempt to understand
or to calculate, is how MF can maintain a vertical position.

Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Jon C. wrote:Elvis reborn!
He wishes. I've always thought of him as a Liberace type. Looks like him, too.

matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Aanvil wrote:

Just a wee bit meeby?

I would venture to say that's his real flute he's taped and is twirling about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Lv1y2l ... re=related

~Tiff
~Tiff