Caring Less

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Maureen O'Hara - babelicious! :thumbsup:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yeah! She looks just like you, Izz!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

missy wrote:I was told that "I couldn't care less" makes no sense because if I wasn't going to care why would I care less.

So - I was then told to use "I could care less", because I really didn't want to care at all about it.
Wait. Wait. Whoa Nellie. I am SO not getting any of that. With all due respect to your sources, missy, forgive me if I say that that's not making a lick of sense at all to me.

It makes absolute sense to me that "couldn't care less" would be the meaningfully correct form if complete dismissiveness is what you're after. After all, if one doesn't care at all, how could one care less, then? Where's there to go from nowhere? If one doesn't care at all, then one couldn't care less, as caring any less would be impossible. If I could care less, then, why, I must care. Some. Maybe not much, but I must. My words say so.

That being said, although I try to remember not to, I utter the careless 'Merkin solecism myself. Afterward, usually I temporarily excuse myself and go off to a secluded place and berate myself for not saying what I really meant. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Yeah! She looks just like you, Izz!
Nah...my hair isn't that red ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

jbarter wrote:(I do however have a bag of rats' asses and will gladly present you with one if you find a topic that bothers me)
Now there's a novel way to avoid topics you don't like! :lol:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

jbarter wrote:(I do however have a bag of rats' asses and will gladly present you with one if you find a topic that bothers me)
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Rat%27s_ass

I think the fact the phrase I could care less is rattled off without regard to grammar is part of the insult. Proper grammar is reserved for people that are actually respected.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cotelette d'Agneau
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Caring Less

Post by Walden »

jbarter wrote:
In another thread missy wrote:I could care less
From the context I took this to mean something along the lines of "This is a matter of total indifference to me". Here in the UK the equivalent phrase is "I couldn't care less". Does anyone know why the difference? Taken literally they do mean slightly different things but do they have the same inference on both sides of the pond?
When she posted that I started to say something about it, but I then decided not to because I wanted to say something else, and it would have detracted.

As for saying "I Could Care Less," which subject Dear Abby once dealt with, I always thought it was a case of over-compensating, much as one catches oneself saying "can't hardly" and then recalls being told it's "can hardly."
Reasonable person
Walden
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

izzarina wrote:...
I thought it was supposed to be a bag of spanners?? :boggle: Did I miss something? Or am I confusing it all....again? Not that I want a bag of spanners, or a bag of rats' asses for that matter.
In these parts, "A face like a bag of spanners" is an ungallant way to describe the aspect of a lady not overburdened with beauty or softness of countenance.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

As for Could/couldn't care less... It only takes a few moments' thought to see which makes sense and which is drivel.

A lady I know once related a long tale of her youth. She lamented the fact that during her school days she was always in trouble. Her reason was "I wouldn't do as my told".

What?

I finally figured out that she had, presumably for many, many years, misinterpreted the common instruction "do as you're told" as "do as your told", and had never given the actual meaning (or lack thereof) of the sentence any thought at all.

Odd.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
djm

Post by djm »

That's pretty crass, Buddhu. We would, for politeness' sake, use something a bit more constrained, like, "a face like a gym bag." We always aim for eloquence. :wink:

djm
Denny

Post by Denny »

and would that be from the French influence?
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

So is "face like a bag full of spanners" better or worse than "face like the back end of a bus"?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
djm

Post by djm »

I thought that was supposed to be, "a butt like the back end of a bus." Using "face" doesn't seem to make much sense in this case.

djm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:I thought that was supposed to be, "a butt like the back end of a bus." Using "face" doesn't seem to make much sense in this case.
I prefer, "If my dog had a face like yours, I'd shave its butt and teach it to walk backwards."
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."