sets made by Hevia

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Keltia-Art
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Keltia-Art »

Hevia doesn't make pipes, they are made by Parrado and Aragón.
Elmek
antispam: No

Post by Elmek »

Keltia art - read the thread title "pipes by Hevia" - are you saying that Hevia only sell the pipes and they are made by a third party ?

So I was correct in calling them a bunch of box shifters. Not much chance of support then
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

As far as I'm aware, Hevia the piper & Muscian, owns the company Arhpa, Paragon & Aragon is the side of the company that makes the pipes & Whistles. all the best. 8)
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Well you can always check here, as to whether they make thier pipes or not.

http://www.arhpa.com/ingles/flash/index.htm#

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Keltia-Art

Post by Keltia-Art »

Keltia art - read the thread title "pipes by Hevia" - are you saying that Hevia only sell the pipes and they are made by a third party ?
Hevia is one of th three owners of a business called ARHPA (AR for Aragón, H for Hevia and PA for Parrado). After the successful publishing of Hevia's first recording for EMI Hevia wanted to set up a business devoted to make and sell Asturian gaitas, he was looking for bagpipe makers for his project and he found Aragón and Parrado in Andalucia, they made UP and Irish flutes for years before to meet Hevia. After that they set up ARHPA.
They use CNC lathes and computer design, each piece of their bagpipes has a serial number and can be replaced if it breaks. It's a new concept for make bagpipes, the most of UP or gaitas are made by craftsmen they apply technology to that job.
The quality of their instruments is fine but in my opinion their bagpipes are too expensive.
ARHPA also sells bodhráns made by Víctor Barral and Premier drums.
Cheers
PD: Sorry for my English I must increase my skills :D
ARHPA

Post by ARHPA »

Hello dear people.

My name is Juan Miguel, and I'm the manager at Hevia Parrado y Aragón pipe making company in Spain.

Well, after reading all of the posts regarding to this thread I thought it could be a nice idea to write a post and by the way, introduce the company and myself in its name to this nice forum.

First of all, a little bit of history about us, the company "Aragon y Parrado" was founded by a couple of young guys in Cordoba (the south of Spain) with the aim of manufacturing quality woodwind instruments. They started to grow up until the day that Hevia appeared in their workshop. For all of you who don't know who Hevia is, you can Google his name and will see that is a big international artist, over two million of cd's sold, and of course a first line piper. (So, we are players) www.hevia.es

He trusted so much the project that decided to join the adventure and moved all the workshop to a bigger place in Madrid. And now here we are. Nowadays we have customers from more than fifty countries (some of their names are Paddy Moloney or Fred Morrison, Armagh Willy Clancy Piping Club with Brian Vallely) and top-level uilleann pipers (most of them are good friends aswell) like Mick O'Brien, Jarlath Henderson, Brian Valelly, Robbie Hannan and others, have been impressed with the work that we make and said so. We also have record delivery time in our sets.

In spite of Carlos Aragon is the designer of our instruments, we have a nice relation with Alain Froment who has visited us and decided to work with us in the development and manufacture of our flat set. He even let us use his own working plains.

Regarding to this thread I will like to say that we are available to solve any dubt about us or our instruments, we always like to keep a close relation with pipers so they can be 100% sure who are they talking to. We also think that in a complex instrument like this, the dialogue, the change of impression between pipers and makers is essential. We can supply information about our company to any one who requires it, by visiting our website or dropping us an email. Many pipers also visited us which is important aswell. Past week we spend a nice day here with Terry Moylan, archivist at Na Piobaire Uilleann, he is also writing an article about ARHPA that you could see in next issues of the mag.

Now, some particular issues:

To Elmek: We have never worked with 3rd party makers from Pakistan, nor dealed with them. Only Alain Froment has worked with us in the manufacturing of uilleann pipes. Of course, advices and tips coming from pipers like Fred Morrison or Paddy Moloney are always welcome.

The use of CNC machines and other drilling machines is only for PRECISSION. The guarantee that each chanter, drone or reg is exactly like other one we made two weeks ago, is definitively a goal. But don't think that we have a "pipemaking machine"! Hands do the fine work. Absolutely.

You also talked about the experience. Our luthiers here, Carlos Juanma and Jaime, are the ones making the pipes. They have been for 12 years in the world of windwood making, (mainly irish flutes and pipes) be sure they're everything but newbies.

To Stew: Our sets are in fact made of ebony, we also think that it's the best wood for this instrument, in spite of we have several kinds of woods that customers use to reject.

To BigDavy: This set for sale at ebay is an old model. Now we work only with ebony and stainless steel. I can provide hi-res pictures and soundclips to anybody who request them. We are updating our website but all this stuff will be available online shortly.

To everybody: Thank you for reading this post, and as I said before, we are at your disposal to make you know whatever you want about us or our company. We will be glad to listen to your queries and hope to talk to you shortly. Thanks aswell to all the members of this great forum.

Best regards and good piping.

Juan Miguel López

Chief Manager
Hevia, Parrado y Aragón S.L.
www.arhpa.com
instrumentos@arhpa.com
+34 918542343
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

Stew Wrote
I find blackwood far to strident in tone,o.k for the busker, ebony and rosewood give a much more sweeter tone, but every one to there own. all the best. 8)
To Stew: Our sets are in fact made of ebony, we also think that it's the best wood for this instrument, in spite of we have several kinds of woods that customers use to reject.

I totally agree Juan, :-? ebony is the best wood for Uilleann Pipes, welcome aboard.

Best regards,

stew. pipemaker.
mayo_piper

Pipes

Post by mayo_piper »

Talk about class! I think Juan Miguel López handled this issue above and beyond the way most people would.

Welcome Juan - visit here often. :D
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels..."

~Groucho Marx
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

BigDavy wrote:Hi boyd

Joe got second in the all britain this year as well :D

As to Hevia, if the set Joe has is typical of Hevia's manufacture, then I think that any buyer of thier pipes will have little to complain about. It is a robust well manufactured set, the chanter is in tune, the drones and regs work well.

Uilliam likes it, and I can see why, it looks and sounds lovely, is easy to set up when you take it out of the case and is stable once set up.

falcon 16 nut - is this the reason you are enquiring about the pipes?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Uilleann-Pipes-By ... dZViewItem

So you may guess that my vote would be to take Hevia into consideration when you are making your purchase decision.

David
Note this quote from that listing...
"Since this is a special order item, it may be returned in new condition within 90 days for exchange only minus shipping and any nonrefundable fees. Call or email for details."
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Just saw the post from the makers. Top Hole! And there you have it.

Interesting site!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

anniemcu wrote:Just saw the post from the makers. Top Hole! And there you have it.

Interesting site!
Yes, agreed. As past topics have proven, this could've gone far the other way. Thanks folks.
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Hi, Juan Miguel.

I've only ever tried one of your sets, when your French agents brought it to the Belgian Tionol.

All of us found the reeds extremely hard to blow, and this made it impossible to judge the set. They seemed to us to be as hard to blow as those of Scottish "war pipes".

With the agreement of the people who were showing the set, one of the participants made some adjustments to the chanter reed, and the general consensus among experienced pipers was that the set certainly had potential. He didn't want to interfere too much, so judgement had to be left at that conditional level, but saying that the set had potential is not a polite euphemism, it just reflects our limited capacity to judge what seemed to be a potentially good set, certainly well-finished.

On the basis of that judgement I have just in the last few days advised someone who has a half-set of yours to upgrade by getting regulators from you, though with the important proviso that he has a reed-maker living near him who will help to reed it in a manner more comfortable for an uilleann piper.

I would suggest that you do some more R&D on all the reeds, with the help of an experienced uilleann piper and someone more used to making reeds specifically for uilleann pipes, and then, through your agents, show the improved sets around at uilleann pipers' gatherings so that experienced people can hear and play them "in the flesh" and form a more balanced judgement.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Beau Comiseau

Post by Beau Comiseau »

No, we're not going there...
ARHPA

Post by ARHPA »

Thanks to all for your good words.

Dear Roger: Thank you aswell for posting your impressions here about the set, let's see what shall we do. A couple of years ago, we had a sales manager in France who wasn't a piper at all, so it was very dificult to her to keep the pipes ready. Of course, as all of you know, the reed is the heart of the thing, and as you say well, you can't judge a set that has not been well reeded.

As you can see at the link here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td_rLl-kH9w

Brendan is part of the William Kennedy Piper's Club in Armagh, and he should not be older than 9 or 10... You can see he has not trouble at all to play his set, even with drones and regulators. The reason is simple: Carlos did set it up 5 minutes ago.

We have dedicated lots of time and efforts in the R&D for reeds, indeed. Many courses have been done, methods, guide sheets, and also we go at least twice a year to Dublin or Armagh where our customers can get their pipes tuned up in a while. In spite of that, we can't be with the pipers all the time, so we try to give as much support as we can in the distance.

Our fight now has two different directions, first we try to push pipers to know more about their reeds, and in the other hand, to keep in touch with the maker. Don't wait or try to find a reed maker elswhere. Ask us, email us, becouse we are the first one interested in our pipes working perfectly, and 90% of the times the problems can be solved without replacing the reed.

This is a nice thread, I hope we keep it on this way.
esticmec

I've got an ARHPA set

Post by esticmec »

I've bought a second hand ARHPA set and I'm very happy with it, I know more people that has ARHPA sets and they are happy too. You could ask in www.uilleannpipe.es forum

I've bought a pakistani set too and be sure that ARHPA sets has nothing with this sets. ARHPA sets are made in Spain...In fact Spain is in Europe... like Ireland :lol:

I use Antonio Obrero reeds http://obrero.uilleann.es and its easy to play.
We (Antonio and I) lost 2/3 hours to make the pakis chanter sound tuned while the ARHPA set was plug and play :boggle:

I think ARHPA's sets is a very good choice today. The only thing that I don't like about ARHPA is that I mail and phone to buy reeds, ask for prices, it was long, long, loooong time ago and They havent reply. . .

This is my point of view, as I'm not a master of uilleann by now :twisted:

esticmec
www.uilleann.es