how to learn to relax?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jack Bradshaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Doug_Tipple wrote:This talk about relaxation has gotten me thinking. While I think that the "screw it" manta may be a real winner, I can't help but think that there may be something completely different that could be used along with the mantra for a synergistic effect. To further this end, I propose to soon offer at a nominal charge an add-on device called "relaxation booties". They are little bags of lead shot that you wrap around the flute with velcro. The name is not firm at this point, so I am open to suggestions. The way the booties work is that you start with the half pound weights and gradually progress up to the master-class weights at 3-4 pounds. The idea is simple. The weights will work just like ankle weights for the runner. You train with the weights, but when you perform or compete, you remove the weights. After playing with the training "relaxation booties", when they are removed, the flute will literally feel like it is floating in mid-air, making for effortless, tension-free playing.
What a great idea ! I think I might market the concrete flute as a strength trainer........ :D
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Blayne Chastain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Haven't finished reading it (read most of it) but effortless mastery has been a good read... There's some stuff that you can take or leave but the whole book is centered around the idea of playing effortlessly so it might be worth picking up... It was in stock at Borders when I was looking for it... Kenny Werner is the author... Too much content to try to rehash here...

Best,
bang

Post by bang »

cocusflute wrote:Tension usually comes from playing too fa[s]t - which is another way of sayng that you're trying to do too much. Most intermediate players (you've been at it for three years, right?) can hear more than they can accomplish comfortably.
If you always play within your comfort zone you will be relaxed and the music wil be better.
thanks cocusflute for this excellent point. put another way, we can only play relaxed what we know very, very well. and this knowing must be in the the body, which only comes from lots of practice. in particular, we can only play relaxed as fast as we can play the hardest bit of a tune easily. otherwise we tense up at the hard bit, stumble, tense up more to catch up, & so on. this is how train wrecks happen. :^)

the challenge, as cocusflute says, is that we tend to hear a tune in our mind the way we wish to play it, instead of listening to how we are actually playing. by playing in our comfort zone, even for the hard bits, we can notice how it feels to be relaxed as we play. as we come to recognize this relaxed feeling it becomes more & more natural.

now if i can only get that sonic image of Matt Molloy's playing out of my head... :^)

yours in reiteration, /dan
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Interesting idea tossing the flute in the air. Perhaps tossing something else like a coin has a similar effect. It gets the muscles moving, the brain focused on motion, the breathing more relaxed. For those who are always tense, it sounds worth a try, tossing something like a coin or a pillow or something. An expensive wood flute, I would not do it either.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Denny wrote:
Tintin wrote:A weird relaxation technique a teacher had me use years ago was to gently toss the flute up into the air in front of me (roughly from stomach level to head level), catch it with both hands, and promptly begin playing.
one word...Tipple
Nanohedron wrote:Just say "screw it". :)
:lol: I like it! :lol:
"It" being. . . the Tipple?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wormdiet wrote:
Denny wrote:
Tintin wrote:A weird relaxation technique a teacher had me use years ago was to gently toss the flute up into the air in front of me (roughly from stomach level to head level), catch it with both hands, and promptly begin playing.
one word...Tipple
Not my context. You'll have to ask Denny!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Tintin wrote:
A weird relaxation technique a teacher had me use years ago was to gently toss the flute up into the air in front of me (roughly from stomach level to head level), catch it with both hands, and promptly begin playing. It's odd, and it initially disturbed me to see my flute airborne, but it does help the the upper body relax.
Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any dropped flutes.
reminds me of when I saw Jethro Tull in the 70's, that flute was being thrown all over the place... :boggle:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
cocusflute

Flute tossing

Post by cocusflute »

There is no difference between tossing a $100 Tipple into the air and a $3,000 blackwood flute for which you've waited a while.
No offense, but there's a huge difference if you drop it.
I would tend to get less relaxed if I tossed my main flute up in the air.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

How to relax?

What works for me is a couple of pints of Guinness and a good curry.

If that's not an option, just listen to some Bob Marley; I don't know if it's possible to not relax whilst listening to 'im.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wormdiet wrote:
Denny wrote:
one word...Tipple
perhaps I should have put them in two seperate posts?
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Denny wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:
Denny wrote: one word...Tipple
I dunno - there is nothing wrong with liking a Tipple - they are very good flutes. What did you think I meant?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

This article is helpful to me in that it talks about practicing relaxing just like any other aspect of playing---it was a helpful idea because I find relaxing very difficult. I can't just say "Screw it"---I'm tense unless I concentrate on relaxing and not just when practicing. Tension is what feels normal to me. This article helped me become more aware of the tension.

http://galaris.com/modules.php?op=modlo ... =0&thold=0
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Denny

Post by Denny »

Wormdiet wrote:
Denny wrote:
Wormdiet wrote: "It" being. . . the Tipple?
I dunno - there is nothing wrong with liking a Tipple - they are very good flutes. What did you think I meant?
Fine...just fine...

I like both the Tipple and the "Just say "screw it"."

:lol:
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Doug_Tipple wrote:This talk about relaxation has gotten me thinking. While I think that the "screw it" manta may be a real winner, I can't help but think that there may be something completely different that could be used along with the mantra for a synergistic effect. To further this end, I propose to soon offer at a nominal charge an add-on device called "relaxation booties". They are little bags of lead shot that you wrap around the flute with velcro. The name is not firm at this point, so I am open to suggestions. The way the booties work is that you start with the half pound weights and gradually progress up to the master-class weights at 3-4 pounds. The idea is simple. The weights will work just like ankle weights for the runner. You train with the weights, but when you perform or compete, you remove the weights. After playing with the training "relaxation booties", when they are removed, the flute will literally feel like it is floating in mid-air, making for effortless, tension-free playing.
I believe this is going to be more detrimental than helpful. For one increasing the weight of the flute is going to aggravate the tension which is already inherent in one's body positioning, which will in turn hinder relaxation. That is the crux of the problem. Flutes at the end of the day are not very heavy things and if you have trouble holding them up without tensing, the problem lies in the way you are using your body, not resistance training.

I would recommend techniques that make you more aware of your body, and the unnecessary tensions that you might be holding within your body unconsciously. Oftentimes tensions in the hands or arms have roots in the shoulders, neck, or other areas. People do often tense up these parts of the body in their everyday activities without realising it. I had some a few Alexander technique classes which helped me be more aware of this, and although I can't say I live my life always bearing in mind the principles of the technique, it has helped me with more comfortable flute playing.
m31

Post by m31 »

Well I don't know about adding tiny weights, but playing a Bb flute will magnify any tensions that one already tends to have. It's remarkable how going from a Bb to a D flute feels like playing a tin whistle!

My chiro puts me on the TENS machine at the beginning of each visit. The idea is to stimulate and tension the muscles to the point of fatigue so that they stop "tensing up". It does work, but the effect is relatively short lived and does not address underlying causes.