Where does a beginner start?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Congratulations wrote:The real trick for a beginner (and this is, of course, my opinion) is to buy a cheap whistle, then spend the rest of your money on CDs.
Sounds wise.

I'd second (or third...) the idea of a Freeman Mellow Dog. Great value, no bad habits.

Regular D whistles are normally thought of as the most versatile and easiest to learn, but I can't think of a good reason not to try a Bb or mezzo A whistle, for a mellower sound without the challenges of a really big whistle. Well, you can't easily play along with tutorial CD's, so have a D whistle, too.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Frogwing
antispam: No

Post by Frogwing »

Thanks for the tips I've gotten so far!
I think tomorrow I'll try making an order, if I can decide by then, I'm terrible when it comes to desicions! And have a look at the only local musicstore.

Any tips for good, well-describing tutorials, books and cd's too?
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Congratulations wrote:The real trick for a beginner (and this is, of course, my opinion) is to buy a cheap whistle, then spend the rest of your money on CDs.
I think this is one of the better bits of advice I've read on the forum. You'll more likely become a better player having more good music to listen to than having many different whistles, as tempting as it is to buy them.

Another thing I regretted is getting many different whistle tutors because after a while you'll find that you'll only end up using 1 or 2 most of the time and they'll lose their usefulness within a year if you're dilligent. Moreover there are many free online resources that is in many ways more useful than what has been published I think - to date I have not read an explanation of how to do basic rolls that rivals the simplicity and clarity as that on Brother Steve's website. Whistlethis.com also provides a platform where your playing can be critiqued for improvement.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Congratulations wrote:I play a feadog. I suggest a feadog. Perhaps two feadogs?

The real trick for a beginner (and this is, of course, my opinion) is to buy a cheap whistle, then spend the rest of your money on CDs.
A *fairly* cheap one... like a Jerry Freeman Tweeked Mellow Dog... and *then* the rest on CDs. :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Hello Malin...
Welcome to the wonder of the whistle! And, you'll quickly find out that when beginning this quest there are MANY WAYS!
Those of us who have gone through the whistle initiation stages each have a unique story.
Like you, I was drawn to the whistle because of hearing the beautiful tones of the Low Whistle. That was years ago, when it wasn't so easy to find Low Whistles. But I did find one, a Low F Chieftain...which was the largest whistle I dared to try! I also bought a cheap high D whistle at that time...since the high D seemed to be the very heart of Irish Whistling.
I also thought it would be easier to learn on the high D, as it was smaller and initially easier to handle. But, I quickly discovered that by using the piper's grip, the Low F was playable! YES! And, since I didn't care for the ear-piercing tones of the high whistle, I learned to play on the Low F.
So, my actual experience allows me to say to you that you CAN start your whistling "career" on a lower keyed whistle. If you have the desire, you can do it! This isn't an endorsement of any particular brand, by the way. Just a personal testimony and encouragement. I've gone on to play the lowest-keyed whistles I can handle...and my original love affair with that wonderful haunting, earthy, mellow sound LIVES ON. Good Luck!
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
lisdoonvarna

for now skip the feadog-get the sweetone

Post by lisdoonvarna »

Hi Malin-
I originally bought a Feadog on an impulse in Ireland. I had a terrible time getting good sound out of it across the two octaves. I can play it now, but I actually abandoned learning the whistle for a couple years because that whistle is a tough one IMO to learn on. I agree it could be a good (but harsh) teacher for breath control etc., but beginners need early successes and encouragement and I found the Feadog to be discouraging.

When the little voice in my head convinced me to try again (I actually think the little voice was the soaring Joanie Madden tune The Immigrant) I bought a Clark. It was much easier to learn on. After a couple years the Clark began to clog and fail me so I read that the Sweetone is just a Clark with a terrific plastic mouthpiece designed by Michael Copeland-one of the world's best whistle makers. So now for the high D whistle I always play Sweetones--it's just a gem. It's much more forgiving. Its very inexpensive. It never clogs, its in tune, both octaves sound great, I can lean into it some without fear of squawks. It has that breathy quality I like, but doesn't overdo it. I also like the volume.

Pat
if at first you don't succeed, buy a new whistle
Frogwing

Post by Frogwing »

Thank you all for the advice. Even if it's still hard to decide with so many opinions, it's very inspiring to read this forum! And I feel I'm beginning to get a very small grip of the market atleast, as opposed to none! =)

To avoid getting too many or bad tutors, anyone have a tip for one that's a good start and describes the basics well? Maybe some cd as well?

I've ordered myself a Clarke and a tweaked Sweetone now, might get a Freeman Mellow Dog a little later when I've tried them out, and decide what I like best.
If I make a little progress with this I'm definitely gonna get a low whistle. A little expensive for now though.

A-Musing: Sound like a hopeful story, maybe I can get the hang of that low whistle too! Can I ask if you have small hands or something like that? Are you a guy or gal? :)
Maybe I won't be able to handle the largest but atleast one of the low!

lisdoonvarna: That sounds encouraging since it's just those two whistles I've ordered, I should be able to handle one I think ;)

Don't you nice people get a fit now, but I don't think I've heard any Joanie Madden *hides*
I just had a look at one of the biggest cd-stores here and found 3 of their cd's to choose from. But I can always order something =)
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

For Joanie Madden, look for Cherish the Ladies.

You'll do fine with the Clarke and Sweetone.

As for tutors, the Bill Ochs book/CD set is relatively inexpensive and very good. It's pretty short (like 80 pages or so), but it's clear and well-written. It gets the point across without getting too confusing.

Hope that helps!
Jason
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Malin...
I'm a guy with medium/not large hands. If your hands are very small, or have very slender fingers, you'll have to be careful about graduating from the smaller whistles to the larger. I can comfortably play most low Ds. (Though there are some with holes either too big or too far apart. There is some variance in the various makes and models.)
Listen to all the advice here, get your whistles, listen, read, play, LEARN. You'll soon be on your way. There's a lot of joy in these "simple" instruments! Good Luck.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Frogwing

Post by Frogwing »

Jason Paul wrote: As for tutors, the Bill Ochs book/CD set is relatively inexpensive and very good. It's pretty short (like 80 pages or so), but it's clear and well-written. It gets the point across without getting too confusing.
Is that the one called The Clarke Tin Whistle Book? It's the only one I find in bookstore here but there's always the option of ordering.
Frogwing

Post by Frogwing »

A-Musing wrote:Malin...
I'm a guy with medium/not large hands. If your hands are very small, or have very slender fingers, you'll have to be careful about graduating from the smaller whistles to the larger. I can comfortably play most low Ds. (Though there are some with holes either too big or too far apart. There is some variance in the various makes and models.)
Listen to all the advice here, get your whistles, listen, read, play, LEARN. You'll soon be on your way. There's a lot of joy in these "simple" instruments! Good Luck.
Thank you!
I'll begin with the couple of whistles I got and maybe I can get a chance to try out what low whistle I can play later somewhere.
I think I'll be having some fun with this instrument!
Slaris

Post by Slaris »

Hello everyone :)

I hope you don't mind me continuing this post Frogwing, as I don't want to clog the forum with another beginner thread just for myself, hehe.

I'm a "newbie" as well to the whistle and most certainly would like to learn this instrument as the sound is beautiful. I've been reading up on the advice and opinions everyone has been giving through their experience with various whistles and I'm being very careful about what exactly I'd like to play.

I'm into the low pitch (mellow, earthly?) sounds and not sure which whistle/tone would work best for me and should I have to start with a moderate pitch sound whistle, that's great with me, lol. I just don't want to pick a whistle at random just because of how cool looking it is and such, I'd like a little more guidance than just "Clarke" and such, as I'm a bit picky about things in life, lol.

Help would most appreciated!
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Slaris, I think the advice you'll usually get is to start with a high whistle, (D or C). They finger the same as a low one, are very inexpensive, and much easier to get started on. If you find that the whistle suits you, and still have an interest in low ones, you "graduate" with a good foundation.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Hi Frogwing,

Sorry for the late reply, I was away from computers for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Yes, that's the one. It's generally a black cover with a child playing the whistle on the front.

Jason
Frogwing

Post by Frogwing »

Slaris: No problem! It's just interesting to hear about another newbies questions and experiences.
Can't really give much advice myself, except that I like my Clarke original so far. Easy to get tones on and has a nice, little airy and mellow sound I think. Atleast compared to the sound of the Sweetone.

Here I've been reading some quite good reviews: http://www.tinwhistler.com/reviews.asp

Jason: Thanks! I'll get that book I think. No problem with the reply, I've been away as well.