I just bought a Walton Irish brass whistle. ?????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

True, there are all sorts of cheapies, and true, the more you practice the better you are able to make "any" whistle sound, but from "my" experience, the Walton's was the least acceptable of any of them. I am happy some of you out there are satisfied with yours, but as far as I am concerned, you'd be better off with something else.....

Flame away.

M
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hope that meets your expectations, Mary! :lol:
Last edited by Cynth on Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

Great animation, Cynth

D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I just googled something like "flamethrower smilie gif", I can't quite remember. I got some page called "Smiley's of mass destruction" or something like that. I just didn't want you to think I made it up myself---I guess some people can do that. It is a bit different :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

talasiga wrote:It is then, and only then, that you are ready to ask questions and they will be questions about musicality.

:)
But if monkey had waited until then, he would never have had the benefit of your answer.

Monkey,
Talasiga is right. Play for a while - have fun - experiment. Try tightening your abdominal muscles for control and blow lightly like you want to move a feather across a table at a snails pace.

Be happy you didn't get a Hoover brass whistle for now, which takes uber-breath-control and is one of the sweetest whistles around. Master the Walton, then go for the Hoover if you want a real challenge.

Every whistle has it's quirks and personalities. The more you play, the more flexibility you will gain. Eventually you will settle in to a type of whistle you favor for it's quirks, characteristics, and voice.

Ask questions. You'll get the benefit of someone saying "Oh yeah, I remember that challenge, keep playing." It's nice to hear that. You'll need it again when you decide you want to play Irish Flute in a couple years. :D
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:from "my" experience, the Walton's was the least acceptable of any of them.
I tried a Walton's LBW for sh*ts and giggles because it was less than US$6. It's a little quirky, but it's a hoot. :)
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Dazzle1 wrote:[Ye Banks and Braes is a nice tune.
What is with all those songs about underpants??? Braes this, braes that . . . ??? :-?
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

A couple years ago, I had just moved into a new apartment. Unfortunately all of my whistles were too loud for my neighbors. Mack Hoover had made me a few quieter whistles that I loved but they were still too loud. I asked Mack if he would make me an ultra quiet high D. He did.

The problem was that ultra quiet and easy playability just don't go together. Every time I played the whistle, it would squeak and squawk. I mentioned this to Mack and being the man he is, he didn't hesitate to offer to modify the whistle or replace it or to give me my money back. I chose none of the above because I was pretty sure the problem was the player (me) and not the whistle.

I was right. I practiced and practiced on that whistle developing my breath control over time. Today, that whistle is one of my favorites and squawking is a thing of the past.

The moral of the story is "just keep practicing".
Dazzle1

Post by Dazzle1 »

Lambchop wrote:
Dazzle1 wrote:[Ye Banks and Braes is a nice tune.
What is with all those songs about underpants??? Braes this, braes that . . . ??? :-?
Must be the countryside :)
D