Why do hounds howl?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: From John Gallagher, DVM, Danville CA, vet/musician

Post by dow »

David Levine wrote: My belief: it is a lost form of communication, a forgotten language. Domestic dogs don't howl at each other at all, but wild dogs, wolves and coyotes clearly communicate over long distances. I always enjoy hearing coyotes calling out at night.
I grew up hearing the coyotes on a nightly basis. Years ago we had a female Doberman that would howl back at the coyotes. Possibly the worst sound imaginable is a Doberman howling. Totally indescribable, but equally unforgettable.

We also had a bluetick coonhound when I was in high school that would sing on queue. My dad would stand at the back door, sing "Deck the Halls" and direct while Spec would howl for all he was worth from the back porch. Thanks for bringing back great memories, both of Spec and of my Dad.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Last year I heard coyotes for the first time in Virginia (the whole development thing has driven them into our are). I was intrigued and decided to get out the bombarde to play along. For some reason they stopped. . . Blasted critics!!!

Anyway, my late dog, Jackson, would come lay at my feet when I played flute, yet go to the opposite end of the house when I played whistle. No howling in either case, though. My cat however, yowls and tries to bite my fingers when I play the box.

Mark
CountryKitty

Post by CountryKitty »

Boy this post brings back memories!

Back when I was in High School, my Mom picked up a cute little coyote mix that was limping down the road. Half-starved, friendly as the dickens, and turned out to be the best mouser we ever owned. One of the smartest dogs we had too.
Whenever my brother would play his harmonica she would come flying into the room, tail wagging furiously, and join in.

And if he went up an octave, so did she! :lol:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

One of the places near town I take my telescope is called (appropriately) Coyote Lake. I hear them on and off all night. I like it, though it sometimes scares some of my friends that don't have my country background. (The coyotes aren't a bother. It's the way-to-clever raccoons you need to watch for - those little rascals will grab any food you're not holding the moment you turn your back.)

I sometimes play the whistle when I'm out there, but I've never heard the coyotes (or the raccoons) respond to it. I should take my flute along next time and see if that suits them better. :lol:
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

My cat howls at the whistle, especially in the upper octave, and the roosters wake up and crow when I play it in the nighttime with the windows open.

I always figured it was a sound-frequency thing; needless to say I don't get much practice on the whistle. :-(

As for when I play the flute, one dog comes into the room and lies at my feet; the other goes upstairs.

I've noticed no effect on the local coyotes with either instrument, but I'm rather glad they don't try to come lie at my feet! :-D
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

Maybe our music is approaching another language, something ancient in both the player and the animal who's joining in.

My favorite sound memory comes from winter nights in Unalakleet, where I used to teach on the Norton Sound. There were probably at least as many dogs there as people, mostly sled dogs, who seem to remember their wolf heritage more than most.

The church bell would ring at ten o'clock for curfew, back then. And at the first crack of sound from that big bell, every dog in the village would begin to howl. Add the squeak of snow underfoot and a little wind song. A sound that still makes me want to add my own voice.

Thanks for bringing that one back David! :)

Jennie
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

i went hiking once. brought my flute along. one night i played. bigfoot emerged from the forest. he curled up on the ground next to where i was sitting and began to howl as i played. when we stopped, we shared a smoke and then bigfoot returned to the woods. man, did he have really bad breath. i think he stole my toothbrush too.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

rama wrote:i went hiking once. brought my flute along. one night i played. bigfoot emerged from the forest. he curled up on the ground next to where i was sitting and began to howl as i played. when we stopped, we shared a smoke and then bigfoot returned to the woods. man, did he have really bad breath. i think he stole my toothbrush too.
That's quite impressive, rama. Was this somewhere in North America, or was it an Australian marsupial Bigfoot? Any road, it sounds like he was sensitive about his bad breath if he wanted your toothbrush. Perhaps next time you meet him he'll be a bit less offensive.

As far as I know, the North American variety's main weakness is strong beer - one of our California breweries makes a special batch for them each year. But I've never got one of them to share with me - they're greedy that way. :(
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

rama wrote:i went hiking once. brought my flute along. one night i played. bigfoot emerged from the forest. he curled up on the ground next to where i was sitting and began to howl as i played. when we stopped, we shared a smoke and then bigfoot returned to the woods. man, did he have really bad breath. i think he stole my toothbrush too.
:lol:

All right, you got me. Good one!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I was playing in the room where the Fish rside in my house and I noticed that while I was playing one of them came up to the glass and swam around a little bit. I thought it was pretty cool.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

DCrom wrote:
That's quite impressive, rama. Was this somewhere in North America, or was it an Australian marsupial Bigfoot? Any road, it sounds like he was sensitive about his bad breath if he wanted your toothbrush. Perhaps next time you meet him he'll be a bit less offensive.

As far as I know, the North American variety's main weakness is strong beer - one of our California breweries makes a special batch for them each year. But I've never got one of them to share with me - they're greedy that way. :(
it's the north american beer guzzler, he's kinda a loser if you ask me
David Levine

Rama, bigfoot, smoking and toothbrush...

Post by David Levine »

LOL. What might rama have been smoking to attract bigfoot?
Regarding the toothbrush, did you buy another one or just do without?
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
rama

Re: Rama, bigfoot, smoking and toothbrush...

Post by rama »

David Levine wrote:LOL. What might rama have been smoking to attract bigfoot?
Regarding the toothbrush, did you buy another one or just do without?
well i roamed about, with really bad breath and decaying teeth, still in a fog from that stuff we smoked which was bigfoot's homegrown.
i try to sneak into my neighbors' houses late at night just to use their toothbrush. i got caught once. was put in jail. my cellmate was a hell's angel. i asked him why he was there. he said he beat five guys at once, ripped one guy's arm off and beat him over the head with it.
he asked me the same question. i told him why i was there - because i used my neighbors toothbrush.
we bonded instantly. it's all about respect. i got to choose which bunk i wanted. oh yeah, he had to give me his toothbrush, or else...

top dawg gets to howl first.

funny, that toothbrush looks familiar to me...
David Levine

yeah...

Post by David Levine »

That's the ramalamadindong we love so well. We're using bandwidth like all the other idiots.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.