Wisdom teeth and whistling

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I do grant that a good dentist is far better than a bad one, but people can have a bad experience with a really good dentist as well. It all depends on how deep rooted your molars are and how thin and brittle the bones are supporting them.

We all have different teeth, different jaws and different skulls. Me, i lucked out with a thin hard palate and deep rooted molars. Although i lucked in with getting the most attractive dentist in London. :D

?
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

chas wrote:
FenianForFreedom wrote:I don't want mine removed now! :sniffle:

How long are you in pain afterwards? Like a day or a week? That's tense domestic!
I think Steve oughta look for a new dentist. I had mine out quite awhile ago, and I would hope that techniques have improved in the last 25 years. I was on codeine the rest of the day, and by the next day I was back to normal except for the stitches that I popped a few days later. One difference between my experience and those of most is, my dentist wouldn't even give me nitrous oxide, nevermind the heavier sedatives/anaesthetics that most dentists or oral surgeons used. I suspect I traded a couple of hours of anxiety and a few minutes of pain (the novocaine wore off more than once) for a much easier recovery. I had full control of my jaw, and I think a lot of the problems people have
I have to agree--trauma all over has a lot to do with it. Your choice of oral surgeon is important.

I had mine out one side at a time to minimize the trauma. They wanted to do them all at once, but an oral surgeon I worked with, after looking at the size of my mouth (kiddie small) screamed "NOOOOOOO!" -- he said I wouldn't be able to open my mouth again for a year -- and so I insisted on two sessions and an oral surgeon with a good track record.

As I had to drive home afterward, there were no sedatives or pain meds. None before, none after. Just locally injected anesthetic. They all had to be chiselled out of the bone, one from the side.

I took a couple aspirin before going to bed, I think, but got up in the morning just fine. Went off to work, able to eat nearly normally by chewing on the other side.

Your jaw is not actually intended to open as wide as some oral surgeons would like, so the ligaments around the joint get pulled a bit too much, I think. It might pay to check around for people who didn't have trouble after having theirs done and go to their oral surgeons.

My personal feeling about sedatives is that the surgeon is going to be a lot more careful with a patient who is not sedated. First, you will protest if he's heavy-handed. He has to work more carefully if you're not zonked. Second, you'll clearly remember if he was heavy-handed, rushing, obnoxious, or exhibiting other inappropriateness, so when you go to sue him later for complications the jury won't discount your testimony. If he's not inclined to be careful all the time, that will inspire him to be more careful in your case.

Get all this established at the first visit, before the surgery. Get exactly what will take place in writing, with no omissions.
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Well, i went to the same dentist that took out my sisters teeth, and he did a good job with that, but all four of mine were completely impacted, nad were quite hard to get out. I'm almost better not, just a little bit of swelling, but I can at least play a little now. :)
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

So i was able to play for a couple of hours today. It felt quite nice. Since I'm on break from school, I can sti and learn new songs, which is a very nice feeling. I hope everyone else's holliday is going nice. :D

Post by Guest »

lambchop: I think you totally freeked me out with the mad doctor bit lol, I'd rather have teeth than money from a sued doctor! :o
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I've still got all my wisdom teeth...couldn't afford to lose any...!