movies and music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hillfolk22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hillfolk22 »

I love movie soundtracks.
My husband built his own speakers.
The bass is the size of a washing machine.
Seriously!!!! It can really put out the sound
There are two mid-sized speakers and two tweaters mounted on the walls.

It's like being in the theater when we rent out videos and crank up the sound.

We have a few compilations of movie soundtracks.

Hollywoods greatest hits by Erich Kunzel
Which has theme song from Jaws, Doctor Zhivago, Out of Africa (my favorite), Rocky...

Star Tracks by Erich Kunzel to name a few titles, Star Wars main theme, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters...

Then we cannot forget the Cartoon Classics from the Bugs Bunny days... The Barber of Seville, Hungarian Rhapsody.

One of my favorite soundtracks is Mission Imposible.

There are times when I lay off of the Celtic music and slip in these CDs.

Makes for some great motivation for the kids when I need housework done... they like it.

Laura
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Is this supposed to be just soundtracks with Irish music?

I find I love anything written by John Williams.

But my all-time favorite soundtrack so far: Dances With Wolves
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

The film <i>Treasure Island</i>, starring Charleton Heston, has some wonderful music by The Chieftans on the soundtrack.
Best regards,

Neil Dickey
ndjr

Post by ndjr »

I answered my own question from page 1 of this thread. The movie ( VHS ) <i>Waking Ned Devine</i> and a CD of the soundtrack are available at Amazon.com. Here's the URL:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 77-4707340

Neil Dickey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ndjr on 2002-04-04 11:56 ]</font>
cj

Post by cj »

O Brother Where Art Thou, which someone else already mentioned. The City of Angels (1998ish, Nick Cage and Meg Ryan) soundtrack has some great blues on it.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2002-04-03 22:34, jim stone wrote:
Fantasia, but I think that's cheating.
My mother took me to see that when I was quite young. To be honest, a lot of it scared the stuffing out of me. Particularly Night on Bald Mountain. Round About Midnight may be cheating too because it was about music and Dexter Gordon played the lead character and also really played the tenor saxophone. I watched the original version of DOA about three times just to see one scene in a bar with a jazz sax player. How about the music from Stalag 17. Anybody remember that?

Steve

Steve
Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

Don't forget Hans Zimmer's "Crimson Tide" (too bad he wasn't able to combine the richness of the CT theme with the multiple themes of "Gladiator"). His rendition of the Navy hymn "Eternal Father Strong to Save" is the best I've heard.
Vangelis' "1492" is also a personal favorite for its ethereal soothing style

Stonewall
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

It amazes me how often my favorite movies had common contributors in the soundtracks. Even movies that weren't that good with plot and acting, would get multiple rentings because the soundtrack carried it. Here some examples.
  • The Keep: Tangerine Dream. (w/ tracks on Escape from New York and Risky Business)
  • Patriot Games, Last of the Mohicans, BBC TV Series - Robin Hood: Clannad.
  • Braveheart, Legends of the Fall, Devil's Advocate: James Horner
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I didn't mean to confine it to Irish music at all, more to any film where the music was a big part of the experience. What about Latcho Drom, which has been on my list for ages, but I still haven't seen? And then there's Bird, with Forrest Whittaker as Charlie Parker. And Buena Vista Social Club. And I heard of a documentary which follows an African musician back to his native village.

Some of the most memorable scenes in movies, for me, are those which remind me that music was once an integral part of everyone's life, not just a commodity to buy off of the shelf. I'm sure there are more like that which I haven't seen yet, especially since most of my few precious evenings out are spent doing something musical.

But with all of these great movies you've all mentioned, my local video store will be busy for weeks. :smile:
MikeClem

Post by MikeClem »

I'll add my voice to those who have mentioned 'Waking Ned Devine', but my all-time favorite soundtrack is 'Gettysburg' (music by Randy Eddleman).
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Magnolia is my favourite soundtrack.This film was created around the incredible songs of Amy Mann.The soundrack from Orlando is pretty amazing as well. :smile: Peace,Mike
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

My current favourite is The Brothers McMullen. The soundtrack was put together by Seamus Egan and the music basically comes from his CDs "Juniper" and "A Week in January". It is a fantastic soundtrack, and the fact that he plays most of the instruments on the tunes is nothing short of amazing. I haven't seen the movie, although based on reviews of those I trust I'm not dying to see it until it's free on tv.

Someone earlier mentioned Dexter Gordon's movie and accompanying soundtrack. I'd highly recommend it to all the sax addicts out there. The correct name is Round Midnight. Not to be picky, but if you go looking for it under another title you might miss it! :wink:

Jef
PS I know I'm not the only sax addict out there! I'm still looking for the button I had on my wall when I was a teenager that read "The Joy of Sax"... I'm pretty sure my mom burnt the thing.
WhistlingSouthpaw

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

Here is where I reveal my age and gender:
I actually really liked the sountrack on "Ever After" which, incidentally, would sound great on a whistle.
A Whistling Southpaw (and proud of it!)