For those of you with a "good" Generations D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mike.r
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike.r »

Generations without a doubt are the most controversial cheap tin whistle on the market.In a way I agree with Bloomfield that your average Gen is "crap" but if one knows how to deal with this quirky instrument it can rival some of the best and most expensive whistles out there, which are also not immune to criticism.A Generation is a "kit" that has the advantage and potential to be personalised to the players needs and taste.The mythical good one is just that and the great paradox is that you most likely are in posession of it already.Whistles and fiddles have much in common in that they both require the player to fully unleash the instruments potential. Peace,Mike :smile:
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Jelaludin Rumi
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

So that's what's wrong with my generations - they're not fully unleashed!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Like violence in the Middle East, the Generation war on this board just seems to erupt once in a while. Where the heck's the pro-Generation preemptive strike force (Stevie & Peter) when you need 'it?

:smile:

Seriously, some people (such as, like, me) will dispute the fact that you need to "go through" several Generations to find a good one.

Cheers,
Jens
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I have 2 Generation Ds in Nickel and one in Brass, and having moved the head out until they're in tune, I like them all.

I also have at least one in every other key, all of which are fine.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased, but I can't see what all the fuss is about Generations.

My only complaint is that in the UK the coating they put on the brass is often not uniform, especially if the shop has stuck their price tags on them, leading to a crappy looking whistle.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Hey Bloomfield, I remember someone saying something like "let them eat cake" ... when someone else was talking about the Rose being the perfect whistle.
- Claudine "Cookie" Picard -
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I think people make such a big fuss abt Gens' inconsistent quality because they've seen just how good a good Generation can be. Some of the other low-end whistles (like Feadogs) don't get the same sort of kudos a good Gen gets. It's like people don't expect those other brands to approach greatness.

I have a good nickel Eb and C (well, except the C's tuning is a bit off & can't be played with other instrumts). The Bb and the other C ain't so great. But I think it's all linked to the mouthpc, namely the suckiness relates to lousy breath requirements, harsh tone, difficulty in blowing.

All 4 have really nice barrels. The feel/size of the holes, the thinness of the barrel metal is just right. The overall diameter of the barrel is comfortable. They're not too heavy. The whistles seem to be very responsive to ornamentation. The "glug" chiffiness sound you get when you ornament is satisfying.

Also, other than my Clarke original, the Gens I own have the most reliable 3rd octave ability (1st 3 or 4 notes) of all my whistles. My Dixons & CPVC Hoovers can't match this 3rd octave ability, though it's not an essential quality for whistles, unless your aim is to upset all the animals in the area.

Unfortunately, no Gens or other whistles are sold in Singapore. I want reliability and no-fuss in my whistles. That's why I've plumped for Dixons and CPVC Hoovers. I know what to expect when I order them from overseas. And I can't say I don't love them as well, though they're different.

But if I ever visit a place where Gens are sold, I'm sure I'll buy some if I can find good ones.
Pywacket

Post by Pywacket »

I have only one Generation. A Nickel D that sounds just fine to me.

Of course, I am tone deaf!

Craig
(Is that a pennywhistle in yer pocket or are ya just glad to see me?)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-04-04 02:39, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Where the heck's the pro-Generation preemptive strike force (Stevie & Peter) when you need 'it?
As for me, enjoying Co Clare in bright sunny weather, cutting half an acre of grass, going shopping in Ennis, playing tunes and minding my own business. I only bought four gen D's in my life and have no problem with any of them.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I think I've figured it out:

The quality tester at the plant has a quick toot on each whistle as it rolls off the line.

If it sounds good, he puts it in the pile marked "UK & Republic of Ireland".
If is sounds duff, he puts it in the pile marked (reject, crossed out) "Export Approved" .

Taa Daah!:grin:
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Kelhorn Mike

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

Martin,
In all honesty that might be the truth.
Here at susato we do it the other way
round and send the good ones to Europe.

"JUST KIDDING"

Kelhorn Mike
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

As for me, enjoying Co Clare in bright sunny weather
A rare occurance obviously, so enjoy it while it lasts. :smile:

Cheers,
Jens
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

According to Yahoo maps, Voorheesville is just outside Albany, whereas Rochester is betwwen Syracuse and Buffalo. 4 or 5 hours to get there depending on speed and breaks (or brakes).

I don't think I'll be taking a day trip there anytime soon! :smile:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-04-04 03:44, claudine wrote:
Hey Bloomfield, I remember someone saying something like "let them eat cake" ... when someone else was talking about the Rose being the perfect whistle.
- Claudine "Cookie" Picard -
Funny you should mention that. :smile: Chris didn't. :wink:

I don't even own a Rose or Abell. (I played an Abell once and a Thin Weasel once, and I like the TW better, but did not have them side-by-side.)

Next time I'll put aderyn_cryddesk amounts of smilies in my trollish posts. :roll:

See you then, Claudine! :smile:

Elliot "Goofball" Bloomfield
/Bloomfield
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Ahh, Bloomfield, I thought we'd finally begun to understand eachother.... alas, it is still not quite so! I actually knew you were joking and was joking back at you... I guess I didn't quite hit my intended target. Well... I've just placed an order for a set of fully keyed Generations in indestructible, light weight, space-age titanium, with Tempur-pedic cushioning on the fipple to avoid lip-fatigue, rests for each finger to help avoid finger fatigue, and a robotic finger guidance system to help avoid mistakes. If this doesn't work I'm going to give up whistle altogether (except, of course, for the Kesh Jig and My Heart Will Go On).
Best,
Chris
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Chris, I guess we can't agree on whistles, but at least we both like good Celtic music, like Celine Dion. :wink:
/Bloomfield