Anybody know what Michael Flatley plays? Also, Poo vs Pooh.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
meemtp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by meemtp »

How active is he as a musician now though? Just curious, I know he did record an album and won an All-Ireland. I also know Seamus Tansey admired his playing. It seems like he's into the dance stuff more though, you never hear about him just playing tunes, dropping in at a session or playing a regular gig. Not digging at him now, honestly wondering.
Last edited by meemtp on Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corin
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Edison: Genius is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration.

One isn't born a genius, one becomes a genius -- it'll never be there without the work. I agree with David (and with the last part of Lamby's post) that Mr. Flatley is one to be respected. You don't have to like his persona or what he does with his abilities, but you do have to admire his abilities as a flute-player and as a dancer.

How many of y'all have heard his previous album? It's really pretty good.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

chas wrote:Edison: Genius is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration.

One isn't born a genius, one becomes a genius .

That's a different definition of genius. The point had been made that, basically, Michael was a genius AND that he was accomplished. That implied that the term "genius" was referring to his IQ, not his accomplishments.

Michael Flatley is a member of Mensa--it's no secret, as he was interviewed a few years ago for a "famous Mensan" article or something--therefore his IQ is above the 98th percentile. People don't become that . . . they're born that way and you can't affect it all that much. You either have it or you don't, and if you don't, you never will. As politically incorrect as that might sound.

Children test out in that range, and they haven't had the time or inclination to become anything yet.j

But, let's get back to the flute! Doc hasn't told us why he's interested in it . . .
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Lambchop wrote: But, let's get back to the flute! Doc hasn't told us why he's interested in it . . .

Somebody asked me and I didn't know.

Can anyone elaborate on a "patent head" ?

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Denny

Post by Denny »

Check Terry's site... The Rudall & Rose Patent Head
kenny

Flatley

Post by kenny »

To answer the question as far as I know, in a newspaper interview a few years back, he was asked about this, and the reply was that his two most-treasured posessions were two flutes by Rudall & Rose. This would have been about 7 or 8 years ago I think. Don't know what - or how often - he plays now.
While we're on the subject, does anyone know what happened to that much-heralded [ and much-ridiculed ] flute double album he was supposed to have recorded a couple of years back. Did it ever see the light of day ?
Small point of information - I don't believe Michael Flatley ever won the senior All-Ireland flute title. I think it was the 16-18 age group he won, possibly in 1975. He competed in the senior event in 1977, and had a play-off with Mick Gavin for 2nd & 3rd place [ can't remember the outcome ].
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Well, there are a couple of categories. This is the main one below (1sts, but CCE lists results for the top 3), but there is also a Slow Airs competition.

All-Ireland Senior Flute Champions

1951, Paddy Treacy, Galway
1952, Paddy Treacy, Galway
1953, Vincent Broderick, Galway
1954, Vincent Broderick, Galway
1955, Peter Broderick, Galway
1956, Peadar O'Loughlin, Clare
1957, Peadar O'Loughlin, Clare
1958, P.J. Maloney, Tipperary
1959, Michael Falsey, Clare
1960, Paddy Carty, Galway
1961, Paddy Carty, Galway
1962, Cathal McConnell, Fermanagh
1963, Paddy Carty, Galway
1964, Paddy Treacy, Galway
1965, Séamus Tansey, Sligo
1966, Matt Molloy, Roscommon
1967, John Brady, Offaly
1968, Mícheál Ó Halmhain, Dublin
1969, Mícheál Ó Halmhain, Dublin
1970, Billy Clifford, London
1971, P.O. Ceannabhain, Galway
1972, Patsy Hanley, Roscommon
1973, Eugene Nolan, Laois
1974, Josie McDermott, Sligo.
1975, Deirdre Collis, Sligo
1976, Peg McGrath Needham, Roscommon
1977, Pat Moloney, Limerick
1978, Tommy Guihan, Roscommon
1979, Marcus Hernon, Galway, and Leon Agnew, Antrim (tie)
1980, Marcus Hernon, Galway
1981, Michael Hearty, Tipperary
1982, Noel Sweeney, Longford
1983, Paul Gallagher, London
1984, Siobhán O'Donnell, London
1985, Claire Burke, Offaly
1986, Sharon McDermott, Tyrone
1987, Pat Fitzpatrick, Wexford
1988, Garry Shannon, Clare
1989, Attracta Brady, Offaly
1990, Thomas McElvogue, Leeds
1991, Sharon Burke, London
1992, Martin Glynn, Clare
1993, Paul McGlinchey, Tyrone
1994, Paul McGlinchey, Tyrone
1995, Paul McGlinchey, Tyrone
1996, Majella Bartley, Monaghan
1997, Sandra Deegan, Carlow
1998, June McCormack, Sligo
1999, Tom O'Connor, Kerry
2000, Sarah-Jane Woods, Dublin
2001, Louise Mulcahy, Limerick
2002, Isaac Alderson, Chicago
2003, Aoife Ní Ghrainbhil, Kerry

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
David Levine

IQ?

Post by David Levine »

Lamby, if you think that IQ (as determined by a mid-20th. C. white man's test) is the real measure of intelligence then you're way behind the times. There are many different measures and types of intelligence.
Most psychologists today accept the fact that brilliant people may not achieve high test levels. Many make the argument that as humans we have the same basic intelligence, which can be developed or not when we are very young.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Harry

Post by Harry »

MENSA: Men Engaged in Neo-traditional Silliness Assoc.?

...Massive Egos Nurtured for Saleability Assoc.?

...Mature Elder Needs Some Ass(ociation)?

...My! Energetic, but Needs Sophisticated Ammendments?,

...Member Envy Negates Sense Apparently...?

Regards,

Harry.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Indeed, MENSA membership is to intellectual genius as a Comhaltas prize is to musical genius. I doubt we'll find that analogy in a Stanford-Binet or Wechsler exam.

Edit to add links to articles on Talent and Innate Gifts. You know, Nature v. Nurture type stuff (these lean towards Nurture).
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

Olwell Pratten, with the aforementioned reflective mylar tape.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Michael's collection of flutes is purportedly vast, including several Rudalls.
His long-time friend Brendan McKinney in Chicago land (a very accomplished flute player himself with moves that completely astound me) supposedly got his first (or thereafter) Rudall from Flatley. They were roommates or something years back.

Flatley I believe plays an Olwell on stage. It's been "reworked" to accommodate the showman that he is. But I don't doubt that a Rudall makes its way on stage from time to time.

Again, this is all my own conjecture. I have never spoken to the man, although probably wouldn't mind some day. His flute work is incredible. He was a student of Kevin Henry's some years ago.

And that double-album project was one he financed. It was the Seamus Tansey deal that released last year. An interesting project indeed.

County Conal OGrada among those who played Rudalls on stage....until his cracked on a trip to the USA and now he's been using a Hammy (i think)

Molloy used to, but then changed to the Boosey before the Olwell came along.

Frankie GAvin was well known Rudall player, too.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Lamby, if you think that IQ (as determined by a mid-20th. C. white man's test) is the real measure of intelligence then you're way behind the times. There are many different measures and types of intelligence. Most psychologists today accept the fact that brilliant people may not achieve high test levels.

Many make the argument that as humans we have the same basic intelligence, which can be developed or not when we are very young.
Whoa - that oversimplies things as much as relying solely on IQ testing, and the last sentence is simply wrong. Does the child with profound MR have their parents to blame for not being properly "developed" when young?

I do fully agree that a genius by IQ test could be thick as a brick whereas someone with a low IQ score could be simply brilliant in some areas. However, individual differences do exist - nature vs. nuture is a fun debate, but too many twin studies show we're not tabula rosa (or would that be tabula rosi if plural?).

Eric
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

David Migoya wrote:
County Conal OGrada . . .
Conal's had an entire Irish county named for him? Who knew flute players had gained such status in Eire . . .

:wink:
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

chas wrote:Edison: Genius is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration.
Talent does what it can, genius does what it must.
William Bajzek