A truly civilized society respects elders...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I'm not touching the intoxicants issue, but I strongly agree that a civilized society ought, indeed, to have respect for elders.

Too often I hear criticisms of spiritual or civil leaders based on age, as if age were a hindrance and not an asset, and it saddens me. Youth is a great thing, and not to be despised, but there is much experience that can only come with time.
Reasonable person
Walden
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

peeplj wrote:I think a pub in a nursing home is a wonderful idea!

And I think the concept implies a great respect for elders:

Just becaue you're old and can't get around on your own doesn't mean you're less human, or less adult, than you once were.

Anything to brighten up their lives is a Good Thing! :)

--James
Amen!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I think it's a wonderful idea. Just grand. I've been doing geriatric medicine for the last two years now, and hospital life can be very monotonous for the elderly. A pub, it would bring back some real-life atmosphere for the old chaps.
Great idea. :)
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I remember the night my grandpa died......

He was 85, and had never been sick a day in his life until a week before his death. He began having trouble eating, and we had him admitted for tests - they found a blockage of the colon.
They were going to do exploratory surgery the next day to decide what they were dealing with, and what they were going to do.
That evening, he ate all his dinner, the first time in a week. I teased him that the food must be pretty good since he ate it all. He said;
"Yeah - this place wouldn't be too bad if they'd give me a cold beer once in a while..."

He passed away peacefully in his sleep that evening.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I can imagine one call the bartender wouldn't call in the nursing home,"Time Ladies and Gentlemen," when all they have is time, or it might scare a few thinking that it was their time :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

dubhlinn wrote:Last drinks now please...

Slan,
D. :lol:
Mine's a pint of Old Peculier please... :D

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
amar

Post by amar »

SteveShaw wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:Last drinks now please...

Slan,
D. :lol:
Mine's a pint of Old Peculier please... :D

Steve
YEsss!!
Theakston's Old Peculier.
A great quaff. ;)
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The cult of youth has reach sickening proportions.

There was a time when you had to "earn" advancement in an organization. Now high level management positions are being filled by college grads with about as much life experience as my cat.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

amar wrote:I think it's a wonderful idea. Just grand. I've been doing geriatric medicine for the last two years now, and hospital life can be very monotonous for the elderly. A pub, it would bring back some real-life atmosphere for the old chaps.
I don't get why they close at 9pm, just as the sessions are getting started.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
amar

Post by amar »

Martin Milner wrote:
amar wrote:I think it's a wonderful idea. Just grand. I've been doing geriatric medicine for the last two years now, and hospital life can be very monotonous for the elderly. A pub, it would bring back some real-life atmosphere for the old chaps.
I don't get why they close at 9pm, just as the sessions are getting started.
good point...speaking of sessions, this sunday, 9pm, basel, anyone coming to join me? :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

Flying Xylophone wrote:Now high level management positions are being filled by college grads with about as much life experience as my cat.
That's because they are willing to work for much less than older, experienced people. Where I work it is a major part of cost cutting to get rid of anyone with over 20 years experience, as these people are at the top of their wage and benefit scales, and cost more to keep each year. Also, older workers tend to stay forever, whereas now-a-days, younger workers are more likely to move on, not staying to build any job equity with one employer. Many employers have come to expect this type of term employment, and it helps keep their costs down.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

djm wrote:
Flying Xylophone wrote:Now high level management positions are being filled by college grads with about as much life experience as my cat.
That's because they are willing to work for much less than older, experienced people. Where I work it is a major part of cost cutting to get rid of anyone with over 20 years experience, as these people are at the top of their wage and benefit scales, and cost more to keep each year. Also, older workers tend to stay forever, whereas now-a-days, younger workers are more likely to move on, not staying to build any job equity with one employer. Many employers have come to expect this type of term employment, and it helps keep their costs down.

djm
The Almighty dollar. When I see the incredible productivity and money wasted on trivial crap inflicted by some idiot who has to show off his or her "idea" I wonder if they really do save money. Someone with 20 years experience is likely to solve a problem with much less overhead then someone with little.

Our Dollar which art in my stock portfolio,
Hallowed by thy interest rate.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Do they give free Guinness to the players in the pub?

I hope it's around in, oh, about 40 years when I start losing my marbles. I just hope I don't get to the point where my false teeth come out when I try to hit a hard-D on the flute. Then I might have to pay for the guinness, and all the damage done by all the people laughing too hard.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

It is exactly in such a pub for geriatrics where I will first join, or start, a session. Everyone will check his/her hearing aid battery at the door.