Doorley

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Re: Not a Pratten

Post by Jonathan »

David Levine wrote:That was a keyless cocus with medium holes.
Actually, the one I'm talking about was up a couple of months ago; it was a blackwood pratten with a split mid section.
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.

Post by Jonathan »

Ah here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7339075087

Anyway, I thought these were an oddity and that he normally does the "Prattens" with a single mid section. But hey what do I know; I don't own one! :D
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

We saw Danu play a concert at the Copenhagen Irish Festival this last weekend. They played very well even though Tom Doorley wasn't with the band. Jessie Smith was back on fiddle instead of Oisin McAuley and a guitarist who we at first thought was Artie McGlynn, but turned out to be a John Williams (not the classical guitarist), replaced Donal Clancy. Also Donnchadh Gough is back, recovered from his broken leg and thumping his bodhran in his usual restrained and dainty manner, and playing very well on the pipes. Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh was in great form, singing well and playing the flute and whistle. Her flute did get a little lost in the mix, though overall the sound was very good. She has a great voice and personality. Jessie was also in great form and had a nice warm sound from his fiddle. We were at the festival Friday & Saturday so missed Kevin Crawford who played on the Thursday evening. We didn't see anything of Davy Maguire, pity as they say he's very good on the flute.

Gossip column: We had a close encounter with violin virtuoso Frankie Gavin and exchanged a few words in the restaurant next door to the festival local. Frankie came in with a beautiful, black haired Irish lady, and sat at the table next to ours.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Steampacket wrote: Gossip column: *snip* ...a beautiful, black haired Irish lady, and sat at the table next to ours.
Michelle Lally Egan
I thought since there's a picture of Mr. Doorly, it's allowed to post a picture of her too.

Link to picture

She sang with his band on saturday night. Lovely clear voice and nice choice of songs too.
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

What's the title of the Danu DVD? I've got to put that on my Christmas list!

Thanks, Jeanie
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

One Night Stand (live from Vicar St. Dublin)
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

peeplj wrote:I've tried his flute.

It's kinda nice. :)

--James
James,
Was it a "pratten" ?
Thanks
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Jonathan wrote:
peeplj wrote:I've tried his flute.

It's kinda nice. :)

--James
James,
Was it a "pratten" ?
Thanks
If memory serves it was a large-holed Olwell; I don't remember much else except that it seemed a very "eager" flute, very loud and very responsive.

I had brought my Seery with me to the concert as I knew it would be crowded and am a little paranoid with the Hamilton under those circumstances. He played my Seery and made it sound phenomenal!

We played Richard Dwyer's and Handsome Sally together and it was a great honor. He is an outstanding musician and an extremely nice young man.

--James
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well ya know Tom did play a Seery on the First three albums (Danu, Think before you Think, and All Things Considered) so I would assume it is a Pratten modeled Flute.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

peeplj wrote:[If memory serves it was a large-holed Olwell; I don't remember much else except that it seemed a very "eager" flute, very loud and very responsive. We played Richard Dwyer's and Handsome Sally together and it was a great honor.
That's great; thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I've played Tom's flute, a week after he got it. He was through the moon excited about it and was forcing everyone to try it and then showing off on it. It was, if I recall correctly, a fully keyed cocus Olwell pratten. It was a beautiful red color.

Chris