cooler name for whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Screeeech!!!
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I've always had George Bush down for a kazoo player. It just somehow really suits him.

Back to the main topic, i just call it a "whistle".
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

fearfaoin wrote:
I liked his suggestion of changing the name to "coolmaphone", but
no one has adopted it yet.
That is about to change.
talimirr743

Post by talimirr743 »

slowair wrote:Perhaps it would be best to enlighten people to the joy and beauty of the instrument. Don't worry about them belittling you because of their ignorance. It's your opinion of yourself and your music that matters most.

Call it what it really is and be proud of the history and tradition.
Couldn't have said it better my self. I definately agree.
Cheers!
~Andrew~

"As imperfect as we are, we each hold the world in our hands"
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

slowair wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Well that takes care of the o. But what about the first part. Is it Feadog,
or Feadog?
Yes. :)
Thank you. That has been on my mind for a long time. From now on I will say Feadog. :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: cooler name for whistle?

Post by Walden »

greg wrote:while personaly i like the term tin whistle however i was wondering if anyone had ideas for a term that doesn't involve 'whistle' i tell people im learning tin whistle and i can actualy see the picture of a kazoo forming in their mind lately i've been using 'irish flute ' but :oops: thats also a bit misleading any sugestions?
• cooltxistu

• radicahorn

• swellophone

• groovytoob

• neatopipe

• keentooter

• flageolawesome

• hepcatone
Last edited by Walden on Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
fearfaoin

Re: cooler name for whistle?

Post by fearfaoin »

Walden wrote:• groovytoob
Awesome!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I usually explain it:
"I play penny whistle. It is like a recorder, and to many people it looks like a flute. It was a popular instrument in 19th century England. The name penny whistle is because they sold for an English penny back in 1843."
Footnote--that English penny was worth about five U.S. cents at the that time and that works out almost perfectly when input into inflation calculators to a current value of $8 USD--amazing.

Some people learned the term. At one open mic that I regularly performed at, I became known as the "whistle guy."
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

If we are out to give it a name that sounds more impressive, I think some of the suggestions already given will work. Let me recommend a few more names we could tell folks (who generally won't care, but who we want to make sure don't think it's a recorder, or who we want to make sure will be more impressed). Try these:

An Irish French Horn
A Silver Whistle (so they don't think it's just tin, or only worth a penny)
A Mountain Folk Haunter
A Celtic ________ (Choose something here to follow--won't matter much what, you'll already have them with Celtic.)

Don't give it a name, just say "This musical instrument is very popular right now in Asia, South America, and Africa." Most will identify or think they should identify with one of those places and love whatever you play.

For a very high whistle:
A Dog Whisperer

For low whistles (played the way I do):
A Moose Caller

Also, any of the whistles you own can sound more impressive if you simply call them by their brand/maker names but with a French accent. (This won't work with "Laughing Whistles" so you will neeed to find a French translation for "laughing" and hook it to flageolet. It also won't work with Silberton by Foky Gruber because you can't say that without smiling.) If you have a Spillane whistle, give it a Chinese name.

Hope this helps.
Keith
greg

c&f experiment

Post by greg »

ok i confess i'm more intrested in the resposes than an alternate name though i might actual use "celtic [fll in the blank] "
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: c&f experiment

Post by Walden »

greg wrote:ok i confess i'm more intrested in the resposes than an alternate name though i might actual use "celtic [fll in the blank] "
• Celtophone

• Celtinette

Also, for unknown reasons (probably to up the times their item pops up in searches), some eBay sellers have listed them as guitars. You could say it's an eBay guitar.
Reasonable person
Walden
Black Mage

Post by Black Mage »

When someone asks me what a tin whistle is, I just say that it's an end-blown fipple flute, though that never really helps them understand what it is. Plus end-blown fipple flute is kind of a toung twister. Half the time it comes out as "end-blown flipple foot." :lol:
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
dapolishunicyclist

Post by dapolishunicyclist »

khl wrote:
Also, any of the whistles you own can sound more impressive if you simply call them by their brand/maker names but with a French accent. (This won't work with "Laughing Whistles" so you will neeed to find a French translation for "laughing" and hook it to flageolet. It also won't work with Silberton by Foky Gruber because you can't say that without smiling.) If you have a Spillane whistle, give it a Chinese name.
technically to be a flageolet it must have one or more thumb-holes on the back. (however since these people you are talking to don't have the slightest idea what it is it really doesn't matter)

coolmaphone
still has my vote
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

To combine from earlier posts

How about calling it your Celtic Groove Tube
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I refer to the instument as an Irish whistle. It connotes the origin of the instrument and, I feel, gives a point of reference to the uninitiated.

If, after that, I get quizzical looks, I start pounding my fist into the other hand and pose multiple rhetorical (I think) questions regarding the persons ancestry and sexual preference.
As they back away, I throw an inexpensive Bohdran at them for good measure.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Skyclad01 wrote:How about calling it your Celtic Groove Tube
I dunno. Sounds dirty, somehow.