Malaprop, malaprop, oh mala-malaprop...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Montana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Montana »

In the song "Love Shack" by the B-52's, in the middle of the song the woman yells out, "Tin Roof... Rusted!". But I could never understand what she was saying. Since it was about people going to the Love Shack, I thought she was acting like some wife who found her husband there. So I thought she was yelling, "Henry! Busted!"

Hey, where did the eye-roll smiley go to?
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Montana wrote:
Hey, where did the eye-roll smiley go to?
It was depreciated by Dale.
djm

Post by djm »

Song lyrics are a great source of amusement, since its impossible to make some of them out ... so we invent our own. Like England Dan and John Ford Coley's "Really Love to See You Tonight" - "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in" sounded more like "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen", or in Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing", I could never understand "I believe in Milko". I mean, what the hell's "Milko"? :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Two Tickets to Paradise = Two Chickens to Paralyze.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

djm wrote:Song lyrics are a great source of amusement, since its impossible to make some of them out ...
djm
John McCutcheon sings a song on an old LP I have called Who Will Sing for Me. For years I thought the words were "death's cold pharmacy." I couldn't figure what that was about till I finally realized it was "death's cold form I see."

On another LP an old time band is singing a song and they sing "village cellini" where the c is pronounced ch. Obviously I couldn't get that. Did they have Benvenuto there in Texas? Later I learned that is was "village committee."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

djm wrote:Like England Dan and John Ford Coley's "Really Love to See You Tonight" - "I'm not talkin' 'bout movin' in" sounded more like "I'm not talkin' 'bout the linen"
I didn't realize I was hearing that wrong. Thanks.

For years I was confused by Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light",
specifically the lyric: "wrapped up like a douche, another runner in the night"
Turns out it's "revved up like a deuce." Doh.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

A man stood looking in the ditch at his car that had veered off the highway, the tape player was still going, and he thought he heard the singer sayin, "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel."
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Just peruse a few 'lyrics' sites and you will find what the old game of 'telephone' so clearly illustrates... three sets of ears begets at least three different interpretations. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

For years I could have sworn that the Queen song "One Vision" ended with the words "fried chicken". Imagine my relief when I found out it was really....

...Fried chicken! :lol:

From http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1510& ...
The final line, Freddie sings the words "Fried chicken" instead of what almost certainly should be the climax of shouting "one vision". While in the studio, the band made numerous versions different 'spoof' versions of the song with altered lyrics. One of there turned the song into a shopping list. As a joke, and to confirm that they were not 'taking themselves too seriously' they left this line in the final version of the song.
- Andy, Halifax, England
I love the ending of the song when they sing "just give me give me give me FRIED CHICKEN!" Its a hilarious input that Jim Hutton pursuaded Freddie to add. But was later put off as just a joke until Freddie played it for him. And at the end Freddie indeed put in the Fried Chicken Part in it. Very good song and I always crack up at the end.
- Alicia, Tamaqua, PA
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I've heard tell of a recipe for stew that's made by biling the ingredients in one of them crotchpots.
Joseph E. Smith

avanutria wrote:For years I could have sworn that the Queen song "One Vision" ended with the words "fried chicken". Imagine my relief when I found out it was really....

...Fried chicken! :lol:
I recall wathcing a video entitled "Queen, The Magic Years", and there were quite a few out takes of that song, one of which included the 'fried chicken' ending. Anyway, they all had a blast recording it so they decided to keep the ending 'fried chicken'.

They were my favorite band as a kid, still are actually. Miss you Freddie!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

When my sister was still in a high chair, one day at dinner she very proudly announced, "I'm a GRILL!"
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Joseph E. Smith

Nanohedron wrote:When my sister was still in a high chair, one day at dinner she very proudly announced, "I'm a GRILL!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hey, my family's rife with that sort of thing. Pinot nee-Or, Yick-a-ma (for jicama), bra-Shetta (for bruschetta). Mom still calls astilbe Ashtabeulah.

I've tried to help. *sigh*
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hmmm... not quite the same, but the tendency locally is to "warsh end wrench year lawn dairy in the zinc".
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com