What Is JavaScript, And How Do I Get It?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

oscartherabbit wrote:As a matter of interest, have you ever actually had this happen? I know it's possible in theory, but I've been surfing the web for much longer than JavaScript has been around and I've never actually seen it happen.
Well, yes, sort of, and just earlier this morning. I clicked to download Shockwave on this very computer (a fairly new one), and it's an XP box with the Microsoft Antivirus loaded. I clicked to start the download of the Shockwave file. When the next box popped up to start the download, I clicked OK before I recognized that it was for a Yahoo toolbar, which I didn't ask for and didn't want.

After my intended install, I went to the control panel and deleted the Yahoo toolbar.

Ah, computers!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

oscartherabbit wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:Active Scripting (including Javascript) can be a security hazard on the web. There are many hostile web pages that, if you visit them, will automatically attempt to load programs onto your machine without your knowledge. Particularly in Internet Explorer, the favoured target of hostile scripting (and you can blame Bill Gates for that too!).
As a matter of interest, have you ever actually had this happen? I know it's possible in theory, but I've been surfing the web for much longer than JavaScript has been around and I've never actually seen it happen.

In fact, I've never had any kind of attack or virus on any of my computers. Maybe I'm just lucky.
You hope!

Yes, I've been around since the days of 300bd modems and bulletin boards. I've suffered all sorts of hostile attempts, some of the successful. From the cheesy but annoying browser hijacks (where you home-page is re-written, usually to some lichen site) to modem hijacking scripts (so that instead of dialing your ISP, your modem connects you to a high-cost international premium line). Trojans, malware, spyware, and yes viruses, but the viruses almost always arrived in email.

In the early days I switched exclusively to Netscape, then Opera, as my browser, and Foxmail as my email client.

Today this machine (at home) is running linux.

I wouldn't put a windows computer on-line without first installing Zonealarm, Adaware, and for my own preference McAfee antivirus.

Zonealarm as a firewall is okay, but it's main strength is that it provides an alarm when *any* program on your machine attempts to connect to the internet. You have to allow the programs to do so. Thusly are you able to spot malware and spyware trying to 'phone home', and take the appropriate action.

It's surprising how many processes running in the background of the average home user's windows machine try to connect to the 'net... often to Bill Gates HQ.

Today I was looking for a particular piece of marketing material from a car manufacturer, and found a site which had a motoring review on it. Up popped a window asking whether I wished to accept and run a download which would've put a shedload of lichen on my machine... I was at work, where we're obliged to use IE. Fortunately our internet settings are preset to 'High Security' on the Internet Zone, otherwise that sucker would've run in the background and done its thing without any knowledge on my part.

Even so, I still occasionally get messages from Adaware asking if I want to permit a registry change, when all I've done is mooch the web.

So yup, you're either very lucky, or you haven't noticed.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

oscartherabbit wrote:...In Firefox (and probably Mozilla/Netscape too), go to Tools->Options->Web Features and check the "Enable JavaScript" option.

In Internet Explorer - um - use Firefox.
LOL :D

Dead right!
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

GaryKelly wrote:...So yup, you're either very lucky, or you haven't noticed.
Prolly haven't noticed.

I've had viruses on every PC I've had (The old dual-boot HP i used to have had Windows viruses but the Linux partition ws clean), and the only reason I knew about most of them was because my antivirus prog told me about them as it scrubbed them away.

A couple of them over the years have caused real bother.

My antivirus works hard as does my firewall.

If you're connected to the web, even over dial-up, it'd be a miracle if you've not been infected, port-scanned, hacked...

Firewalls, spyware cleaners and anti-virus (with regular updates) are essential in the same way that seat belts and parachutes are.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

oscartherabbit wrote:
Cynth wrote:"JIT compiler for virtual machine enabled (requires restart)". Unfortunately, I have no idea what this all means.
That's the Just In Time compiler for the Java Virtual Machine. Java and JavaScript are, despite the similar names, completely unrelated.

Probably best if you just leave that one alone.
Oooops. I have a hazy memory of checking those "unchecked" boxes. I need to undo what I did. Then I think I'll let my wife look at it when she gets home.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh lord Will. I hope you can remember what you did. The last time I fooled around with my computer my husband seemed a bit grim about trying to fix it back up, and he told me to just stop it, so I did. :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Cynth wrote:Oh lord Will. I hope you can remember what you did.
You're joking, right? You're talking to someone who can't remember if he ate breakfast today. All I remember is that I did something. I think. :-?

Will O'Ban

Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, actually that's okay too. Then when telling partner something seems to be wrong, one can honestly say "I can't really remember what happened" and then they don't have to find out what you did. :lol: Well, if you just tell her about the Java thing and the 3 boxes I'm sure she can deal with that. She'll have some other computer to look at the settings on if nothing else. Or she might be a computer whiz---that would be handy!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Cynth wrote: Or she might be a computer whiz---that would be handy!
Yeah. She's usually pretty good about fixing my mistakes.

Will O

djm

Post by djm »

Will O'B wrote:Yeah. She's usually pretty good about fixing my mistakes.
Oooo, where can I get one of those? I could keep one or two pretty busy for life. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

djm wrote:
Will O'B wrote:Yeah. She's usually pretty good about fixing my mistakes.
Oooo, where can I get one of those? I could keep one or two pretty busy for life. :D

djm
Sorry, but lately I have her working overtime. :)

Will O'Ban

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I truly dig Javascript. It's only drawback is the lack of persistant data handling.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

buddhu wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:...So yup, you're either very lucky, or you haven't noticed.
Prolly haven't noticed.
Nope - I'm serious. I'm a programer by trade, and have been since 91, so it's not as if I'm hopelessly naive or don't have a clue.

I've got ZoneAlarm and Command AV running on my machines at home, and I regularly run AdAware, and you know what? Nothing. Nada. Not a sausage. (I'd be really cross if I'd actually paid money for these progams :D )

ZoneAlarm occasionally tell me about stuff trying to access the internet - mostly outgoing - but it's all kosher and no malware. It also blocked a lot of scans a couple of years ago during that whole Netsky thing, but nothing for a while. AdAware cleans out a few tracking cookies but nothing else.

I use Firefox and the Pegasus mail client. I don't even get virus attachments - no I tell a lie - someone sent me one about three years ago, I think, but I just deleted it.

You know all those viruses that are supposed to spread by sending emails to all the addresses in your contacts list? Well I never get any of those either. Sometimes that worries me. Am I not in anyone's address book?

I understand the JavaScript can be used to expose security flaws in a PC, but I've never actually had it done to me. Not even a home page hijack (which happens to one of my neighbours all the time).

Just lucky, I reckon.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I'm with Oscartherabbit on this. I'll go further and say I believe the whole thing is a scare tactic. Yes there are viruses etc but I haven't had a virus scanner or software firewall in three years. Never a problem.

Get a good popup blocker. Most all spyware and malware come from pop-ups. Run Ad-Aware frequently. I also user Window Washer.
Watch the crap you click on.
Delete all emails if you don't know who sent them.
If you get to a site that automatically tries to download, reach down and hit the reset switch on your PC.
Learn which sites try to download stuff.
Don't click banner ads on sites.

Avoid popular software that claims to be helping you but is really spyware like Real Player and a lot of Virus scanning software packages.

Use online spyware scanning instead of installing.

Lots of other things.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
oscartherabbit

Post by oscartherabbit »

Yup. I reckon the biggest security hole in any computer is usually sat right in front of it. I just read this article on The Register which kind of confirms just how jaw droppingly daft some people can be.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.