Tom Waits

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Here's one of my favorite interviews of all time. Please do listen. I promise you'll be entertained (24 minutes):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... yId=898645

Best wishes,
Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Freeman on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

#1 on my top three most brilliant songwriters of all time list -- and he once dated #2. :-)

As an intro, I often recommend "Closing Time" -- his first album. That's more traditional/less scary for many, and after "Martha" brings a tear to your eye, "Grapefruit Moon" will break your heart.

Then it's on to fun stuff like "What's he building in there?" :-)

But everything he does is genius. Freaking genuis.

All the best from the land where
'no one speaks English and everything's broken',

cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

TW is great...
anyone heared Solas' version of Georgia Lee?(I think that's the name of the TW song they do, but I might be wrong...just checked the CD out from the library instead of buying it)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

wow, more re-dos than I knew about. Thanks for tips!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cathy Wilde wrote:#1 on my top three most brilliant songwriters of all time list -- and he once dated #2. :-)

As an intro, I often recommend "Closing Time" -- his first album. That's more traditional/less scary for many, and after "Martha" brings a tear to your eye, "Grapefruit Moon" will break your heart.

Then it's on to fun stuff like "What's he building in there?" :-)

But everything he does is genius. Freaking genuis.

All the best from the land where
'no one speaks English and everything's broken',

cat.
Mmmm..he was married to number two a few minutes ago..
who is she..Ricki Lee?

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

The Weekenders wrote:Whatever happened to Leon Redbone.
Leon Redbone is alive and drinking :lol:. Drinking from his little tiny glass during performances, that is. I just saw him a few months ago. He continues to be very mysterious, hat always on, muttering away, humming, :lol: . He has now a young pianist and a young cornet player performing with him. As odd as it sounds, they make an excellent trio. All three are really excellent musicians. The show is a bit short perhaps, but a lot of fun. He does a quite excellent imitation of a coloratura soprano with his hands by projecting their shadows on a screen. I think he has to conserve his voice a bit now.

Okay, back on topic. Sorry, folks.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Ah, 2 of my faves. Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen.

There's a two-disc Leonard Cohen retrospective, "The Essential Leonard Cohen," I think, that's indispensable.

I love Tom Waits' work and I'm presently obsessed with the song "Make It Rain" from the most recent CD.

I DO understand how some don't get Tom. The voice can be....offputting.

Dale
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

DaleWisely wrote:Ah, 2 of my faves. Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen.

There's a two-disc Leonard Cohen retrospective, "The Essential Leonard Cohen," I think, that's indispensable.

I love Tom Waits' work and I'm presently obsessed with the song "Make It Rain" from the most recent CD.

I DO understand how some don't get Tom. The voice can be....offputting.

Dale
Yeah, at my last job, a guy in the office played "The Essential.." quite a bit. At first, being completely oblivious to the guy, I winced and suffered, but after a while, started to approach at least the far outer boundaries of his world. And now, years later, at least one of his songs is quite the rage.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I saw Randall Bays and Daithi Sproule do Grapefruit Moon live a couple of times. Great stuff.
/Bloomfield
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Speak of the devil (advertisers, I mean):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050915/ap_ ... ts_lawsuit

Guy's got integrity, seems like.

(Since seeing this thread, I haven't been able to shake from my head a scene from Jim Jarmusch's film "Down by Law" wherein Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Roberto Benigni(!) march around a jail cell shouting "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"

Or the episode of "Fishing with John", where Tom sits miserably seasick aboard a rusty boat, not catching fish, and later puts an unlucky fish inside his pants.

Guy's got weird, too.)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Cathy Wilde wrote:#1 on my top three most brilliant songwriters of all time list -- and he once dated #2. :-)
So, who's #2? He's been married for 20-someodd years, so it must be old news.

If y'all want another good introduction to Waits's personality, y'al might want to see a couple of his movies. I'd recommend Down by Law, an early Jim Jarmusch movie, or Ironweed, a depression-era movie in which he plays (can you believe it?) Jack Nicholson's drinking buddy. (He may have still been drinking then, although I don't think so.)

Here's a link to Letterman interviewing Waits about a year ago:

http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/vid/twinterview04.mov
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've got to get out more. The last time I listened to Tom Waits was in the early 80's. I remember a song about Whistling past the Gravyard, stepping on a crack.....

And Romeo is Bleeding. I suppose I better pick up a CD or so.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jmurray

Post by jmurray »

"Used Songs (1973-1980)" could be a good choice...