My new choice for best "tune sucker" recorder

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
thirdfipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

DS 20 & Mac

Post by thirdfipple »

Cathy,
My DS20 and Mac work fine together. I do recall that I had to get on their website and download the latest software...the version on the cdrom didn't work.
wolvy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

Cathy -

That was my concern, too, since I am a Mac bigot. The good news is that it appears that Olympus is supporting OSX. Here is the latest software download site:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... =1153&os=m

I think the DS-2 and DS-20 software are identical, but don't know for sure.
I'll get one of these soon.

- Tom
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

wolvy wrote:I wish I had bought the small one. I just don't use that much space. It is only temporary storage space after all.
Take it to work and use it as your flash drive hanging from your badge. The ability to put test procedures and spread sheets boggles the mind as well as listening to Mick O'Brien on the off hours ;-)
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

eskin wrote:The DS-20 does have the stereo mike, it is identical to the DS-2 just with double the internal memory. Perhaps you're thinking of another model number. I have a DS-20, originally had and returned a DS-2. Both are identical except for the memory.
Hmm. Amazon has this listed as a difference, and they are different in appearence as well. But I will certainly take your word for it, they may have the wrong info posted. Thanks for the suggestion BTW, I should have the DS-2 by tues.
I am tired of running out of cassetes and having to buy one at the last minute for $5 at a bodega.
djm

Post by djm »

Can we get this straight regarding which model you folks are talking about? I am on the Olympus site and there are a couple of lines of digital voice recorders. Eskin started out with the DS-2. There is no such model as a DS-20 per the Olympus site.

The Olympus models are numbered:

D-1000 Digital Voice Recorder
DM-1 Digital Voice Recorder
DM-10 Digital Voice Recorder
DM-20 Digital Voice Recorder
DS-1
DS-150
DS-2
DS-2000
DS-2200
DS-2300
DS-3000
DS-320
DS-330
DS-3300
DS-4000
DS-660
DW-90 Digital Voice Recorder
DW180
NoteCorder 300

I would love to get rid of this Sony Walkman crap thing I have for something that dumps WMA to PC (if the price isn't too dear), but I'm not certain what models you folks really mean.

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
thirdfipple

DS-20 sighting in area 51

Post by thirdfipple »

I know it is frustrating djm. I went through the same thing when I was checking them out. I too could not find the DS 20 on the Olympus web site. Nonetheless I kept finding reviews of it elsewhere. I finally found a Radio Shack 80 miles away that said they stocked it. That is why I drove there and paid full retail.

It does exist (it is sitting right next to me). BTW for the earlier question posted, I can confirm that it does have a stereo mike built in. To reiterate it works fine with my Mac (and you can turn the files into mp3 that Itunes can play.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Thirdfipple, does it look like this:
or like this?
This is confusing.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Looks like the second of your pictures. It looks exactly like the DS-2
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

The second picture is supposedly a DS-2, and the first is what they are showing as a DS-20. So it would seem that the DS-20 is the same (except for memory) as the DS-2, and the documentation is incorrect. They sure are making it difficult.
thirdfipple

which one

Post by thirdfipple »

Bless me Father because I have...uhmm sorry about that, old habits die hard. It is the 2nd (bottom) one pictured.
djm

Post by djm »

Great! Radio Shack in Canada has been renamed to The Source by Circuit City (TheSourceCC.com) and does not carry either of these models from Olympus.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

I bought a DS-2 off of ebay for about $54 and it works great. I can report that the DSS software seems to work just fine on the Mac w/Tiger. It is super easy to use. I like it! a lot !!!!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thank you guys, esp. for the Mac and mp3 crossover info! Next time I get some money (which the bank informs me I have woefully little of -- *%@! gas prices!), I'll be looking for ... the bottom one, I guess? I hope the Radio Shack near me (oddly enough there's one out in the sticks where I live) isn't sucked into a conglomerate in the meantime.

Hurry up, payday! (Hurry up, money, period!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Some people have Consumer Reports, we got Eskin! Thanks a bunch. I am very interested in the DS-20, even if I have to go to the Satanic Radio Shack to get one. I put all of this off after purchasing some mini-studio thingie and returning it when I found it was way too complicated for what I wanted to do...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
eskin

Post by eskin »

Then, there is this:

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/global/brochures/Flashmic.pdf

Sennheiser mike with a built-in flash memory based audio recorder. Only $1200.00 :-)