Looking for info on Ed Maloney

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
WhistlingGypsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingGypsy »

bradhurley wrote:The Moloneys of E. Galway are a long line of flute players going back to the 1800s, starting with James Moloney who was originally from Limerick but settled in Ballinakill after living in Yorkshire and America. His son Stephen was a member of the original Ballinakill Ceili Band (late 1920s-1940s)

Eddie (one of Stephen Moloney's sons) played in the "new" Ballinakill Band (1950s), as did his brother Ambrose.

As Peter mentioned, Eddie's son Sean is also a well-known flute player. The two albums he put out last year on Claddagh, Music on the Wind and Potsticks, are a bit of a gold mine if you're into the music of East Galway...there's more than 40 tracks of music between the two CDs (one track actually appears on both!). Some great playing and some wonderful tunes, including a jig composed by Sean called "Missing the Wren" which I learned last month and cannot seem to stop playing.
I actually remember Eddie playing the fiddle most of the time that I knew him. I grew up with Sean in Galway - we were good friends all the way through school - and played regularly in sessions with Sean and Eddie in the Cottage Bar in Galway in the late 70's. Eddie always played the fiddle and Sean the flute (he used to play the concert flute as oposed to the Irish Flute). Great times!
Cheers Image
Gerry
Think before you Think before you Post!
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

WhistlingGypsy wrote: I actually remember Eddie playing the fiddle most of the time that I knew him. I grew up with Sean in Galway - we were good friends all the way through school - and played regularly in sessions with Sean and Eddie in the Cottage Bar in Galway in the late 70's. Eddie always played the fiddle and Sean the flute (he used to play the concert flute as oposed to the Irish Flute). Great times!
I bet! Thank you for the memory; it makes me smile.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.