RingFlute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
EricWingler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by EricWingler »

DCrom wrote:Obviously most suited for playing reels :D (the "round and round" ones)
Or you could play a round. :D
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

glauber wrote: I could be wrong, but i think that little end-pipe is just decoration.
One sure way to end the speculation: I've written the maker...hopefully he'll answer soon.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I belive it is a flute, and there is a wall in it. If it were an orcarina there would be no need for the vent. what is it made of? Seems to be a resonable price. Who will buy the first one and tell us All about it?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Is it tunable? Does the embrocher hole slide or can the plug be reached with a plastic coated cable to move it? Or does every one have to tune to it?
glauber

Post by glauber »

DCrom wrote:More seriously - it appears to have a flutelike embouchure, not the whistle-style mouthpiece I'd expect on an ocarina.
You can make an ocarina with a blowhole too. I have one. The "lip plate" seems to be pure decoration. I guess we'll know eventually.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I don't think it's an ocarina...it's a flute that's simply not straight: the shape shouldn't have a significant impact on tone. Bore size, fingerholes, and embouchure cut will determine most of the tonal qualities. Brass instruments, for instance, are curled up to make them space efficient, but you could just as well play a straigt trumpet or tuba, from an acoustical perspective.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Tintin wrote:I don't think it's an ocarina...it's a flute that's simply not straight: the shape shouldn't have a significant impact on tone. Bore size, fingerholes, and embouchure cut will determine most of the tonal qualities. Brass instruments, for instance, are curled up to make them space efficient, but you could just as well play a straigt trumpet or tuba, from an acoustical perspective.
More bends more mellow... Trumpet/Cornet same length.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

piperdoc wrote:if you ask me, the thing is clearly dangerous. what if the sound, rather then coming out the end, keeps going around and around? you can loose control completely.

meir
Kind of like a cyclotron...

I asked these folks what the range of this beastie is, and how is it tuned; diatonic vs pentatonic. The reply:

Hi Paul,
I will do my best to answer your questions. Please
note that I am not a musician and have a group of
flautists that are consulting for me. So I will
regurgitate what they have told me.

-this is an A Key instrument
-3 octaves are possible
-the instrument is not tunable (more like an ocarina in
this respect).

Thanks for your interest,

James
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Rin

Post by Rin »

DCrom wrote:You could probably make one that sounds OK, but I don't really see the point unless you're really worried about packing the musicians in tightly.
Hey, there are times... ;)
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I still wonder if it is worth while relearning my fingering method and what sort of traditionist will accept this flute. Anyway the truth is that I will die before this becomes popular and important.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I am sure Kenny G is busy with his own instrument today. But all it will take is for one person to learn to play the ring thing on TV or the movies and every one will want one. Just like guitars drums whistles ect. The only hesitation I have with this is the finger sequence or it would be here next day delivery.
benbrad

Ring Flute

Post by benbrad »

What do you think it is made of? The website says nothing about it's construction.
Ben
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

There is another instrument to compare with, The <b>Gemshorn</b>.
This is an "Ocarina" with a vent hole at the bottom of a tapered horn. Sometimes this instrument has a "tuning ring" vent hole near the voicing.

The apparent "Tube within a tube", seen through some toneholes in the photo, may be a means to taper the inner bore by reducing its cross sectional cubic volume. This would give it an external cyclindrical shape with a tapered "Recorder" bore. There is a possibility that the tube travels twice around the ring, inside itself(?)

All things considered, I don't think this instrument has a very large range (I refer to the reference of ocarinas in China). If anyone buys one, I would like to cut it in half and look inside (just send an e-mail and I'll give shipping instructions :roll: )
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Kinda reminds me of the movie, the Jerk, where Steve Martin invents an eyeglass holder device that turns out making everyone crosseyed. In other words, I have ergonomic doubts about its design.

For all we know its the flute of the FUTURE!!!!!

It also reminds me of the OXYGEN channel. Some kinda chick thing.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

About ergonomic issue,it depends on whether he/she treats this flute as completely new instrument or as a similar instrument he/she knows. If he/she treats a new instrument as a similar instrument he/she knows,it is easily going to be 'inferior' instrument to him/her.

For example if I want take full advantage of off-set hole placement of a whistle, I 'must' use the whistle exclusively because the old method interrupts(indeed),etc.,

Although this flute is not my concern anymore,I saw many winding flutes of this sort and this flute has the most bearable look(at least an improvement to my eyes). :)