Ray Sloan pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
snoogie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by snoogie »

John, I have Ray's CD as well and agree its remarkable that he can play so many different types of pipes so well. :boggle:

When Neil Anderson (formerly of Seven Nations) was here for Celtic Day I had a chance to chat with him. He plays a set of Ray's border pipes and had high praise for them, and they sounded great.

Made me think about learning the border pipes (once I master the current little UP beastie!).

Joseph, I've worked on moving the reed in and out (watch that dirty mind of yours!) and am able to adjust the overall pitch, but not sure how that would affect one note. When I get to FL maybe we can spend a few minutes and discuss.

-gary
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

snoogie wrote: Joseph.... (watch that dirty mind of yours!)
...dangit!!! :P

Yeah, I look forward to the Tionol. We'll do some mad scientist experimentation on your reed (I'll bring the blow torch and Geiger counter) and get that puppy whipped into humbled subservience!!!! YEAH!!! YEAH!!!.....or.... maybe it is time for much, much more medication. :D :oops:
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

snoogie wrote:When Neil Anderson (formerly of Seven Nations) was here for Celtic Day I had a chance to chat with him. He plays a set of Ray's border pipes and had high praise for them, and they sounded great.

Made me think about learning the border pipes (once I master the current little UP beastie!).

-gary
I came to Ray's Border pipes, which he calls Lowland pipes, after playing another maker's Border pipe for a number of years. The craftsmanship, easy playability, and quality of tone of Ray's pipes immediately put me over the moon.

Of all the Border pipes I heard and played, Ray's has a tone most like uilleann pipes. I didn't want an instrument that sounded like a small GHB or like a French bagpipe. I wanted a chanter for Scottish fingering with "nyaa." I don't think anyone would mistake it for a UP, but they won't mistake it for a GHB either, which is the case with most Border pipes, imho.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Yeah, that's what made me enjoy hearing Neil play Ray's pipes...it had some UP character but with more of the Scottish GHB sound. That sound that either you love or hate, (unfortunately) the Scottish side of my genes loves that sound.

-g
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Sloan pipes sure do look purty on his site. Really nice worksmaship there.

Joseph, your avatars just keep getting better and better! :D When was that picture taken.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

MikeyLikesIt wrote: When was that picture taken.
what? You mean it's not current? :boggle:
:lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

MikeyLikesIt wrote:Sloan pipes sure do look purty on his site. Really nice worksmaship there.

Joseph, your avatars just keep getting better and better! :D When was that picture taken.
This particular avatar photo was taken back in 1985-86, I think, ummmm.... anyhoo, it is my lovely wife and myself posing for an 'art project' of hers when she was in college..... though that wasn't the first, nor the last, time I stuffed a Camel 'straight' up my nostril.... :oops: :D :lol:

But, to get back on topic, Ray's pipes are extraodinarily beautiful up close and in person... but, more importantly, their 'sound' or tone is equally as pleasing.
John Dally

Post by John Dally »

It might be worth noting that Ray has taken Border/Lowland pipes and Northumbrian smallpipes off his website. He's putting most of his time into uilleann pipes these days. That will make it easy to get a quality set of pipes in a timely fashion from him.
:D
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

It is too bad Ray doesn't make full sets in "C". He only makes full sets in "D".
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Just a matter of time. Last time I spoke to Ray he was going to start production of full c sets (and full B sets) I have a b half set on order with ray. His b chanter was a cracker!!!
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Geo

Sloan Pipes

Post by Geo »

I have had a set of Ray's Uileann Pipes for almost a year and, although I'm new to Uilleann Pipes, (I'm a GHB player) I would heartily recommend them to anyone.They are very easy to play, sound great and are very well made :D
Geo