"Wasn't that a great session?"

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

brianc wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I am probably going to ruffle a few feathers here, but IMO, any session held in a public place (especially a pub) is asking for trouble if they do not want a bunch of learner/Ginger Baker wannabes. Holding closed sessions in a public house is an exercise in futility within the theatre of the absurd. To avoid these problems, and maintain a good playing/session experience (I have said this a few times before), closed sessions ought to be held in a private residence. The idea here being QUALITY CONTROL. I am not overly fond of sessions, and even less fond of those who hold them in public houses but disdain the public.
A closed session in a private residence? I must disagree. I hold sessions in my home on a schedule that could be considered irregular at best.
However, if I were to refuse to invite any and all comers, myself and those in attendance (I dare say) would have missed out on some real performance gems.
It is just a suggestion for those who tire of having to deal with people and instruments they do not want around. A private residence offers such a sunctuary for 'sessioneers' who want the experience of a purely musical gathering, but without having to get nasty to 'unwelcome' musicians....you really can't do that in a public house, unless you rope off the playing area and post signs stating that the 'negative element' is unwanted. That is a session I would take no part of.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

I think I understand what you're saying Joseph, but that's my point about ensuring folks know it's a closed session in a pub. The excuses/reasons given to those that might want to join in (when you don't know their ability.... or perhaps when you DO know their INability) is to simply say, "Sorry, the owner wants us to keep the group size limited", or "We're here under contract to the manager, blah blah blah, and he wants just us playing, blah blah blah."

I've often opened up my home to anyone who wants to come by.... we've had a wide range of abilities, from people who are professional level to folks that come in, play a single tune on a whistle, and spend the rest of the night listening (hey - YOU try telling an 8 year old kid he's not welcome)!

We've even had the good fortune to have an incredibly talented fiddler who plays Klezmer (his main claim & fame in music) but who wants to learn more Irish music. Believe me, if I could get that guy to return to my house on each session, I would - it's a joy to listen to, and it offers a nice break from the usual jigs & reels.

Look at it this way: an open house session can accomplish two tasks simultaneously:
a) it can tell you who you would want playing at your pub session;
b) it can tell you who you wouldn't want playing at your pub session.

There's my $0.02.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Laban wrote:Maybe it's just me but 'performance' and 'entertainment'(for an audience) are words that I would not at all associate with what a session is about.
Please to note, Peter, that I wrote that a public session is a performance by default. There is no escaping that. A session is a social event for the musicians first and foremost, of course. I never said otherwise.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Peter Laban wrote:Maybe it's just me but 'performance' and 'entertainment'(for an audience) are words that I would not at all associate with what a session is about.
Amen to that, Peter. I once heard John Skelton say that the minute you hear people starting to clap at a session, you know you're in trouble. Suddenly it's a performance and everything changes, not necessarily for the better.

So far, it seems to have been my experience as well ... but yes, it's a fine balance between the personal and commercial. Especially since it seems most pub owners here in America host sessions because they provide "atmosphere" for paying patrons (being that the musos often get their beer for free). But me, I personally don't even mind when they leave the football on. It's more freedom for the musicians. :-) After all, I'm just there to play.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Cathy Wilde wrote: But me, I personally don't even mind when they leave the football on. It's more freedom for the musicians. :-) After all, I'm just there to play.
Agreed - to a point.

My first-ever participation in a session was the day before the beginning of Willie Week in 1997. The Clare hurlers were playing for the Munster final, and on that Sunday, a small group of musicians were gathered (I think it was Marrinen's (sp?) pub. Around 2:52 PM or so, it was evident that the place was filling up - and quickly. I was initially thinking that it was the high quality of the music that was bringing in the crowd. :lol:

At nearly 3:00, a rather large fellow with arms that resembled tree trunks looks squarely at me and says, "You're going to stop the music now, RIGHT?"

Noting that it was more a directive than a request, I looked around the circle quickly and that was when I realized there was a large television set above my head... tuned in to the final. "That's it for me," says I, to anyone who cared to hear it.

It turned out to be a great match. Clare won the Munster final, and a day later we were treated to the arrival of the team on the bus, rolling through town. They eventually won the All-Ireland that year.
Joseph E. Smith

Sorry for changing the subject, but Brian, who is that fellow in your avatar? I can't put a name to him, and it has been bugging me for months.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Amen to that, Peter. I once heard John Skelton say that the minute you hear people starting to clap at a session, you know you're in trouble. Suddenly it's a performance and everything changes, not necessarily for the better.
That is ALWAYS an issue for me....applaud or not. It at least acknowledges that you heard and enjoyed...appreciated. When someone in our session plays a brilliant solo, you can bet we applaud them. So why shouldn't the fellow who came to hear the music? More important, why should applause bother anyone?

Then again, in most sessions where its usually just the 'regulars', an outsider applauding could be seen as intruding on a private conversation.
Here in the US there is never/rarely an opportunity for spontaneous music making among friends in a bar. The venue has to shut off the jukebox or TV. It becomes entertainment, whether you want that or not.

In re: house session...I'm delighted to have friends over to play. I wouldn't be happy at all to have some people in my home. In some instances I really don't want these people to know that I have music going on...Mr Random Notes is a nice old man but a lousy button box player. I have no intention of having him trample the music here, but I don't want to insult him either. Even having just friends doesn't solve all the issues. Their goals for gathering aren't necessarily the same. One dear friend is really intent on making tunes 'performance ready' -- not just her music, but as a group! -- even though I've said time and time again that my absolute goal was to have music in my house, a casual gathering, not a practice for something else. (heaving great sigh)

Happy Holidays, everyone. . .hope the music is good for you, and that your New Year is filled with joy. The sun is coming back. . .
Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brianc

Post by brianc »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Sorry for changing the subject, but Brian, who is that fellow in your avatar? I can't put a name to him, and it has been bugging me for months.

That's me.

In 5 years.

Heh heh.

Actually, I have no idea what that man's name is.... I believe the picture was found on Patrick D'Arcy's website Uilleann Obsession.

Cheers.
djm

Post by djm »

The name that has been bandied about for that particular image is Turlough McSweeney.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

brianc wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Sorry for changing the subject, but Brian, who is that fellow in your avatar? I can't put a name to him, and it has been bugging me for months.

That's me.

In 5 years.

Heh heh.

Actually, I have no idea what that man's name is.... I believe the picture was found on Patrick D'Arcy's website Uilleann Obsession.

Cheers.

Turlough McSweeney indeed. He was from Donegal and a contemporary of Touhy. He was one of the featured performers at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, along with Touhy. And a mean-looking SOB if I ever saw one. I showed a flute playing friend of mine a full length portrait of Turlough that appeared in the April 2004 An Piobaire, and his immediate reaction was, "He looks like he's coming to kick your ass!" :)
Joseph E. Smith

Thanks Pat and djm, appreciate it. :)

Here he is a little bigger.

Yup, he looks like he would put his boot in your arse as soon as give you the time of day. :lol:

Would anyone sit next to this guy at a session?
djm

Post by djm »

Bit harsh, fellas. Remember that the style of pose for photos from that era was to appear dead serious. Maybe he was embarrassed by his missing teeth? :D
Anyway, he was a piper, so there must have been a bit of fun in him.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:Bit harsh, fellas. Remember that the style of pose for photos from that era was to appear dead serious. Maybe he was embarrassed by his missing teeth? :D
Anyway, he was a piper, so there must have been a bit of fun in him.

djm
....pose or not, he's one mean looking mother.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

So .... who wants to be the first to clap at one of his sessions? :D

KIDDING!!!!! <narrowly dodges justly-hurled tomato>
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.