Struggling Newbie

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Post by Guest »

Cal wrote:Cranberry, sorry, I stand corrected. Perhaps you could explain why though, for the sake of this dumb old Yorkshireman? I'm used t' bein' misunderstood 'ere in t'South o' England (due to my accent), but don't normally have problems in text... :-?

Incidentally are there any sorts of 'Avatars' that I shouldn't use also, to avoid further offence? (assuming I'm reasonably civilised)

...and I thought it was just keys, octaves, rolls, crans etc. that I didn't get...

Cheers
Cal :cry:
Don't pay any attention to saucy men!

I 'blowby my' higher notes on TW ...open a vent on the side - allowing me make horsey faces as I huff along,

Make of Whistle makes no difference, lots of rubbish about buying a higher costing TW based on the false misleading and utterly ridiculus claim that cheapies are worse.

What makes the TW or Flute sound better is how you use it and the condition of the air where you are playing.

Air contains apprx 80% nitrogen 19% oxygen 1% co ..but the temperature, the humidity and altitude also have an effect.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cal wrote:Cranberry, sorry, I stand corrected. Perhaps you could explain why though, for the sake of this dumb old Yorkshireman? I'm used t' bein' misunderstood 'ere in t'South o' England (due to my accent), but don't normally have problems in text... :-?

Incidentally are there any sorts of 'Avatars' that I shouldn't use also, to avoid further offence? (assuming I'm reasonably civilised)

...and I thought it was just keys, octaves, rolls, crans etc. that I didn't get...

Cheers
Cal :cry:
Actually, icon is a perfectly acceptable term to use, if we're talking about words' meanings:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b ... ry&va=icon
Main Entry: icon
Pronunciation: 'I-"kän
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek eikOn, from eikenai to resemble
1 : a usually pictorial representation

But the apropriate jargon ("the technical terminology or characteristic idiom of a special activity or group") is avatar because that's the general term that's come to mean "a graphic representation of a person on a computer network", and so that's the term the writers of the board software chose to name the picture http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?mode=editprofile

But, I think all of that is going much further than the lighthearted silliness that I feel was actually intended over the subject ;)
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

But we're not talking about the meaning. We're talking about what this forum uses. It's special, if you hadn't noticed. I like Benutzerbilder. I just learned that word the other day, and I can't stop saying it.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Cranberry wrote:But we're not talking about the meaning. We're talking about what this forum uses. It's special, if you hadn't noticed. I like Benutzerbilder. I just learned that word the other day, and I can't stop saying it.
Right...like I said "icon" works fine for meaning..but "avatar" is more correct jargon. ;)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Using pictures of rude cats is probably a bad idea. :wink:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:But we're not talking about the meaning. We're talking about what this forum uses. It's special, if you hadn't noticed.
But what if your avatar IS an icon? I think that waitingame's is:

Can we call it an icon avatar then? :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.