OT Rufus Harley

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I found a CD in Amazon.com which has sound samples in Windoze and Realbadaudio formats: [Click]

Obviously the guy doesn't have correct technique. Just someone who picked up a GHP set in a pawn shop and taught himself to play. But if nothing else, it's a quirky tribute to the instrument, that after being neglected for a long time, it surfaces in such unexpected places.

One wonders what he could have done with a set of UPs.

I don't actually like the tracks i heard, but still, more power to him.
Last edited by glauber on Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
brianc

Post by brianc »

:lol:

The POINT is - I doubt very seriously that Rufus gives a flip about whether or not he's got "street cred" with the "GHB community" (whatever that is).

He's doing what he enjoys - that much is obvious. I'm sure that a certain segment of classical pianists were aghast when Jerry Lee Lewis began playing his music on the 88's - - even, on some occasions, with the cheeks of his arse. Do you suppose that Lewis cared what they thought?

Same thing applies here. Don't like it? Don't listen to it.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Thanks for the link, Glauber.

I listened to "Kerry Dancers" - hey, it isn't for everyone, but give the guy some credit - how many GH pipers can play staccato like that?
glauber

Post by glauber »

brianc wrote:Thanks for the link, Glauber.

I listened to "Kerry Dancers" - hey, it isn't for everyone, but give the guy some credit - how many GH pipers can play staccato like that?
I was thinking the same thing. How the heck he does that?
--Wellsprings--
brianc

Post by brianc »

Glauber, - Probably a fairly soft reed, I'd think. It seems to be fairly quiet in tone compared to a couple of the other tracks.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

The Man Himself
glauber

Post by glauber »

A quote to go with the pictures:
Rufus Harley wrote:The drone uses the ancient vibrations of the universe. Bagpipes represent the ultimate sound of philosophy because it sustains. It brings the yin and the yang together, the male and female. The human anatomy is the original instrument. When people first came to America, they brought their instruments with them. Their bodies. Now it’s the time for people to understand that we got to get our asses in tune.
--Wellsprings--
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

brianc wrote::lol:

The POINT is - I doubt very seriously that Rufus gives a flip about whether or not he's got "street cred" with the "GHB community" (whatever that is).
The GHB community? street cred ?

If a gang of them turned up my my street, I'd be the first one out wth the rotten cabbages. :lol:

Back to Rufus. Is it me, or is Rufus out of tune with all of his backing tracks?

Mukade
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

brianc wrote:[Why? Because he doesn't play dress-up and march in a straight line with the rest of the "GHB community?
Doesn't play dress up? :o OK, I guess you posted that before Ben posted those additional pics. I'll let you off easy on that one.

I'm not saying having no street cred among GHB players is good or bad. It just seemed relevant because the individual in question plays the GHB. And I think I clarified my perspective well enough.

As far as GHB "street cred"... yeah it's pretty laughable. But we definitely have more street cred than the recorder community.

Cheers,
Aaron
mukade

Post by mukade »

brianc wrote:Thanks for the link, Glauber.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but on that track he is playing saxophone, not GHB.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

He is playing Sax on Kerry Dancers clip.
A friend of mine has a RH record he played me a bit down the phone.
It was a version of the tune Windy on GHB with R and B backing. It was certainly "different". :o
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

The Differernt styles were too great an obsticle for a "Harmonius" duet
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

It sure looks awkward (and weird) to me to see someone playing the GHB's on the right hand side. I am fine with someone taking a non traditional approach, but put them on the left side please.

I used to play the GHB's in a rock band and I sure would get a reaction. Blacks were often more taken with the instrument. I have played the pipes a few time marching through crowds of moshers who would body slam me as I played. I told them it was fine with me as long as they didn't slam into my chanter.
pgf102

Post by pgf102 »

I was fortunate to meet Rufus Harley last year in Philadelphia (my brother is involeved in the jazz scene there and arranged the introduction). Maybe a little eccentric but one of the nicest hospitable people I've ever met. His apartment, although a little run down, is a shrine to the US and the constitution and photographs everywhere of his carreer and some really big names he's played with. His philosophical ideas that he presented went over my head at the time but actually made sense to me later as I thought about them.
He wanted to "jam" so we went into his bedroom where he had a large amplifier stack and plugged in a Jamey Abersol backing track CD, opened all the windows (he said the neighborhood should hear this) and we wailed (I had my GHB's). God was that fun (and loud)! He told me to forget what I learned on the pipes and just play. We played Coltrane, Rollins and even Mancini. He showed me some unusual cross fingerings (they worked better on his chanter than mine). It was an unforgettable experience and I really enjoyed it. By the way, he was getting ready to leave for Scotland the next week to perform at the paid request of the College of Piping at a special outing they were having.
Thanks for listening -
Paul Fehrenbach
brianc

Post by brianc »

I see in the pic that Ben posted above that Rufus is wearing the traditional "bathrobe with Reebok trainers". Wouldn't want someone from the "community" challenging his 'street cred' now, would he?

:lol: