Anyone else here like Gaelic Storm?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Duffy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Duffy »

fearfaoin wrote: They sure seem to go through fiddlers, though. They're on their 3rd or 4th one. I think they really should have held on to their last fiddler, Kathleen Keane, who was also an incredible whistler (and cute to boot).
Kathleen was at Milwaukee Irish Fest playing fantastic fiddle and whistle with 'Bad Haggis' I'd also seen her before with Storm. She's really good. I'd like to hear her in a more traditional setting although I've had no objection to seeing her with either group in the past.

I was so busy trying to catch other groups in Milwaukee that I missed Storm all three appearances. They're fun to watch and hear but drifting further away from Gaelic toward some sort of cult sound. I still like them but ITrad over-ruled this year.
Last edited by Duffy on Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

[quote="Bloomfield"]
I think they were picked (and I doubt by James Cameron himself) because whoever did the picking didn't know the first thing about Irish traditional music. Just my two cents. [quote]

They should have consulted a true Irishman like Leonardo O'DiCaprio! :lol:
"You have my undivided attention"
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:They started off extremely trad...
LOL
I suppose that was pushing it a bit. But The first time I went to their concert at Duke, at least 50% of the music was almost like being in a session. They were playing sets of tunes that you'd hear in any pub. I mean compared to, say, Ashley MacIsaac, they were fairly trad until the 2nd CD. But, then, I enjoy fusion.
Bloomfield wrote:I think they were picked (and I doubt by James Cameron himself) because whoever did the picking didn't know the first thing about Irish traditional music. Just my two cents.
According to Patrick Murphey, James Cameron himself did indeed ask specifically for them. But he could have been just tooting his own horn. Of course, all this really proves is that Cameron may not know the first thing about Irish music, but that was already evident from the Soundtrack. Ugh.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Bloomfield wrote: (I've played with "the guys" too in sessions a couple of times, but at least I don't brag about it in my resume. ;) )
Well, I played with Jack Murphy in sessions a few times. Jealous, eh???
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Azalin wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: (I've played with "the guys" too in sessions a couple of times, but at least I don't brag about it in my resume. ;) )
Well, I played with Jack Murphy in sessions a few times. Jealous, eh???
Az, don't challenge me into name dropping, I've done my homework very recently.... :)
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

my home more like it :roll:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Peter Laban wrote:my home more like it :roll:

Hehehe. And it was fun!
/Bloomfield
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

it was to be sure 8) but we won't tell them anything :D
Steve-o
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Anyone else here like Gaelic Storm?

Post by Steve-o »

izzarina wrote: When was the Pittsburgh Irish Festival? Wasn't it the first weekend in Sept? I unfortuntately forgot about it, and didn't drive the 45mins to see some of it. I was hoping to get a new whistle, but at least I have the consolation that they were only selling Feadogs! But I would have LOVED to have seen Altan. Oh well...maybe next year!
Steve, you live in P'Burgh?

Heather
The Pittsburgh Irish Festival was Sep. 10-12. I was able to get there for most of Saturday night. I go to school at Duquesne which is right in Pittsburgh...do you happen to know of any good sessions in the area? I love playing, but i can't seem to find anyone here to play with.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

fearfaoin wrote:They sure seem to go through fiddlers, though. They're on their 3rd or 4th one. I think they really should have held on to their last fiddler, Kathleen Keane, who was also an incredible whistler (and cute to boot).
http://www.kathleenkeane.com/ for her gigs & CD. She plays in a more traditional setting at sessions in Santa Monica, CA, mostly fiddle.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org