Bothy Band transcriptions/books

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

It's on the website too.

http://www.lunasa.ie/flash.htm
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

...groovy. I may just have to avail myself of this book. Thanks for the link!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

djm wrote:I'm not a big BB fan, nor of PK, either.
I'm racking my brains but can't figure out what PK stands for. Phillipino Kickboxing? I'm sure I'll feel stupid once I somebody tells me... Oops, never mind. I figured it out: Paddy Keenan.

Cheers,
Aaron
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Sorry, Aaron, didn't mean to tax your brain like that. The threads are best read in sequence. The previous entries had referred to the Bothy Band and Paddy Keenan, so BB and PK seemed pretty straight forward - to me, at least.

Cheers,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Speaking of transcriptions, it is instructive to transcribe an entire playing of a tune. (Not as tedious as it seems as there will be a lot of identical repeats.) It's interesting to see where the changes are made, and how. They're sometimes very subtle and slight, sometimes drastically different. Learning to play them sparks ideas on more possibilities.

The Dublin Reel on Planxty's Cold Blow and the Rainy Night, played by Liam O'Flynn on pipes, has amazing variations. Some of the changes are in just the phrasing (which note is accented or paused slightly) or just one or two notes totally changing the feel on the repeat. Makes it more fun to play that way.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Tony Higgins writes:
"Speaking of transcriptions, it is instructive to transcribe an entire playing of a tune. (Not as tedious as it seems as there will be a lot of identical repeats.) It's interesting to see where the changes are made, and how. They're sometimes very subtle and slight, sometimes drastically different. Learning to play them sparks ideas on more possibilities.

"The Dublin Reel on Planxty's Cold Blow and the Rainy Night, played by Liam O'Flynn on pipes, has amazing variations. Some of the changes are in just the phrasing (which note is accented or paused slightly) or just one or two notes totally changing the feel on the repeat. Makes it more fun to play that way."

It's great to focus on variation once in a while when just listening for pleasure. One of my favourite albums for this is "Music from Sliabh Luachra Vol. 6" which is just solo Jackie Daly on either accordeon or concertina (that should please the pure droppists! :wink:) It's easier to focus on when you just have a single melodic line to listen to (though he does use the basses, sparingly but with great effect, to add more variation). If I could only take one inspirational album to the desert island...

Cheers!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
naex_may

Re: Bothy Band transcriptions/books

Post by naex_may »

psmithltd wrote:Hey this is just a general question: Has anyone ever published acurate transcriptions of recordings say of the Bothy Band, or Planxty, or any of these bands, down to the accompaniment and all that sort of thing? Or have any of you done any of that sort of thing just for fun?

I am interested in fooling around with this sort of thing and was wondering if anyone had anything to say about that sort of full band transcription.

Philip
I transcribed all the bothy band dancing tunes (no songs, no blackbird slow air) I got hold of (1975, old hag, out of the wind, live). Only the line of the tunes (no harmonies). Whenever there were interesting variations I transcribed the whole thing. It was not a special project but the collection developed thorugh the years. I wanted to listen out as many details of their music as possible. The transcription was a side effect. Have them as pdf for personal fun. Publishing could be a violation of interlectual property rights. If you want to transcribe Bothy Band . . .

Alexander
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

naex_may wrote:"Publishing could be a violation of interlectual property rights."
===============================================

....hmmmm, this could be true, AND it might lead to other antisocial behavior. :D

I recently odered the Lunasa tune book, and it has arrived today. Good transcriptions of the tunes....but only the first ime around...the rest is left up to the individual performer...I'm liking it!
jb

Bothy Band Transcriptions

Post by jb »

Alexander, I got a copy of your transcriptions in Babbity's. They are excellent, you should see about getting permission to publish!