Branded?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

You guys are unbelievable. Tony, admit it, at some point didn't The Rifleman's son (Johnny Crawford?) make you wince with all those "paws"?

I always appreciated Clint Eastwood from the spaghetti westerns, through the Dirty Harry series, the little known but quite good Play Misty for Me, and up to his more recent acting and directorial accomplishments. There were so many pseudo high-brows who scoffed at his early stuff; look at it for what it is, not what you'd like it to be.

Even Arnold, who I think is less talented, (although talent has been described as one drop God-given and the rest hard work and perseverance) but ferociously dedicated and persevering in his accomplishments, is someone whose accomplishments I respect. Here's a guy with a wierd build and a strange accent who begins in an area considered by the mainstream as for freaks, and propels that from a cultist endeavor to a multimillion dollar mainstream appreciated industry.

Remember his first movie, the semi-documentary Pumping Iron, which became a cult classic? Even then he was saying seemingly mean spirited things. Remember that scene where he makes fun of Lou Ferigno's speech impediment while at breakfast with Lou and his dad? They both accepted it.

Then he made the Conan movies; I actually liked the first one (with half the offensive line of the Oakland Raiders and James Earl Jones) for what it was - a campy cartoon basically. Then he did all those horrible Raw Deal and Commando movies (where he can accurately fire two large machine guns from atop a moving armored vehicle whilst 50 villians can't seem to hit the mark from stationary posts all around him); even those had glimpses of that sardonic (?) humor. Remember when he drops the bad guy off the cliff and someone asks where the villian is, Arnold replies "I let him go." The precursor of "Ill be back" and "hasta luego baby."

He also did a fine movie called "Kindergarten Cop" in which he was really good. And then the "Terminator" which I consider a classic if only for its relentlessness of pacing.

He's such a perfect Republican what with all those catchy sound bite sayings. And a Republican who marries a hot Democrat and becomes governor of California!

You can disagree with his politics and sensitivities but give the man his due. Same for Clint.

I guess I diverged, but all those Clint bashers made me retch; the early post-spaghetti westerns were also hints of greatness (e.g., "The Outlaw Josie Wales")

Phil, I love westerns including John Wayne, but don't think he should have gotten a medal of honor without actually serving, O

Uh oh, should this be merged into the political thread? :oops:
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

"El Paso".
Unbelievable. (Are you pulling my leg? I was born at night, but not last night.)

Phil, I forgot about Outlaw Josey Wales. Killer movie. When he made his horse lie down like he and the horse were dead until the soldiers rode by. Fabulous. You're right about that kid calling, 'Paw,' all the time. A little off track, but I loved the interaction between Will Robinson and Dr Smith in Lost in Space. That's how kids should be done on goofy shows.

And, yes, I loved Arnold's humor. Pumping Iron was great fun. Was it in that movie that he tells of advising a novice body builder contestant to come on stage screaming and howling like a gorilla to impress the judges? And the judges thought the guy was nuts, of course. (Can I admit I thought it was kind of funny when he tweaked all those noses recently with 'girlie men?') Terminator- saw it at least four times. Reminded me of a bad dream I used to have. (Kind of miss that dream.) Predator was pretty cool, too.

I was hoping the Google ads would be for something kinky with all this discussion of Branded.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

TonyHiggins wrote:
"El Paso".
Unbelievable. (Are you pulling my leg? I was born at night, but not last night.)
Marty Robbins
El Paso

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.

The rest is at http://www.thesonglyrics.com/r_song_lyr ... yric2.html
Marguerite
Gettysburg
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
I can only read those words hearing Marty Robbins' voice singing it. (She sure is beautiful in my imagination.)
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:D :D

Thank you mvhplank.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
station

Post by station »

hi everyone
station

Post by station »

hi everyone
station

Post by station »

hi everyone
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

station wrote:hi everyone
:o

Bless my Soul,It's the Blessed Trinity.Here. On the Board. :boggle:

Slan,Slan,Slan.
D.

W.B.Yeats
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

In the name of the father the son in the spirit Amen, tis a blessed board.
:lol:
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

If you're looking for another song to get stuck in your head, how about the theme song from The Rebel, sung by Johnny Cash, starring Nick Adams?

"Johnny Yuma was a rebel, he roamed through the West...".

For some reason that show hooked me more than Bonanza or any of the others. Judging from the age bracket poll going on right now, a few people here should remember that one.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol: :lol:

Jaysuz Duffy,The crack in the wild west was never this good.
'Tis truly a miracle and a wonder to behold, I've gotta grab me whistle and play a hymm.

" Faith of our Fathers holy Church,
We will be true to thee till death.."

Should be worth a plenary or two.

Slan,
D.
:boggle:

W.B.Yeats
irishduffy

Post by irishduffy »

dubhlinn wrote: Jaysuz Duffy,The crack in the wild west was never this good.
Faith of our fathers, living still
In spite of dungeon, fire and sword!
O how our hearts beat high with joy
Whene'er we hear that glorious word!
Faith of our fathers! Holy faith!
We will be true to Thee till death! :lol:

Or I could of said in grandmas words, Jaysuz Marry and Joseph. She just made the old hymns simple.:lol:

Yup the crack was not, this good in the old west.

and a few sessions did result I to just whistled a few hymns :)
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Tony, right, Predator is another fun movie. Didn't Marty Robbins cut that single "Ballad of the Alamo"? Lyrick - how could we forget Johnny Yuma?

Remember "Wanted: Dead or Alive" with Steve McQueen wherein he toted that sawed off shotgun around in a holster? I don't remember any music ?

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
station

Post by station »

what do you mean dubhlinn its the Blessed Trinty on the board, and what do you mean about the wild west, i would like an answer THANK YOU, and DUBLINN you need to play more than a hymn,