The best customer service by a whistle maker?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mike J
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mike J »

I’ve definitely got to add Mack Hoover to the list of whistle makers with outstanding customer service. At the end of September of last year, I moved from a house into an apartment and found that all of my whistles were too loud to play without disturbing the neighbors. The only times I could play was when they weren’t around.

In December, I contacted Mack about making me a quiet whistle and explained my situation to him. He said that his December list was full, but he broke his own rule and put me on January’s list even though he normally would not start that list for another few weeks. Not expecting him to start the whistle until January, I didn’t send payment right away. Then, out of the blue, a few days before Christmas, the whistle showed up in my mailbox even though I hadn’t paid for it yet.

I had told Mack the voicing I would like in the whistle, but for the $45 cost of the whistle I didn’t expect him to spend much time on custom voicing (and told him so). The whistle that arrived hit every single one of my voicing requests dead on. When I told Mack that he had gone too far above the call of duty and offered to pay more for the whistle, he said no: the satisfaction that he got in making the whistle the way I wanted was enough.

Mack is an absolute first rate guy. I now own four Hoovers and play them to the exclusion of all the others. I’ll definitely be buying more.
Stu H

Post by Stu H »

I have in my time been fortunate enough to deal personally with three whistlesmiths, Tony Dixon, Bernard Overton, and Stacey O'Gorman. What they all seem to have in common is a very generous nature, a passion for their products and a deep and genuine interest in the people who play them.
If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably me - playing a whistle!
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I don't think it's a competition. And I am generally reluctant to use "Best", both because it makes it sound like a competition and because it implies I know every whistle maker in the planet well enough to make a meaningful comparison. But that's just me - computer programmer and annoying would-be-grammarian.

I will say that I've had excellent service from the one whistlesmith I've ordered from directly, the three online shops I've ordered from, and helpful email exchanges with other whistlesmiths.

Not that it's all sweetness and light out there, I imagine. But civility and good service seem to run higher in this community than the world as a whole.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

DCrom wrote:I don't think it's a competition. And I am generally reluctant to use "Best", both because it makes it sound like a competition and because it implies I know every whistle maker in the planet well enough to make a meaningful comparison. But that's just me - computer programmer and annoying would-be-grammarian.
:lol: I wouldn't have guessed!

But seriously... is it difficult to obtain citizenship of Grammaria? I'm sure Amar would consider it for obvious reasons.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

GaryKelly wrote:
DCrom wrote:I don't think it's a competition. And I am generally reluctant to use "Best", both because it makes it sound like a competition and because it implies I know every whistle maker in the planet well enough to make a meaningful comparison. But that's just me - computer programmer and annoying would-be-grammarian.
:lol: I wouldn't have guessed!

But seriously... is it difficult to obtain citizenship of Grammaria? I'm sure Amar would consider it for obvious reasons.
Gee, Gary - I'd have thought you'd be more interested in becoming a citizen of Lemuria. :twisted:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

DCrom wrote:Gee, Gary - I'd have thought you'd be more interested in becoming a citizen of Lemuria. :twisted:
:D An ex-girlfriend of mine (a lovely lady but a trifle ditzy) honestly believed Bulemia was an eastern European nation until I fell off me chair laughing...

But back on topic. My first contact with a whistle-maker was a delight. I was amazed when, having asked if that maker could produce a whistle to my specific requirements, he said no, but he knew another maker who could and put me in touch. No flim-flam, no false promises, no trying to sell me something I didn't want.

It was then that I began to realise that whistle makers are indeed a worthy bunch, and a goodly cut above the rat-race as Dcrom has said.

Though they are of course quite mad.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The only whistlesmiths I've had first hand dealings with were/are Serpent and Jim from Copeland. Both were/are first rate.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

I just have to add Colin and Brigitte Goldie to the list. When I ordered a Low F anodised from them Colin rang me to find out exactly what I wanted from the whistle and then played a couple on the phone to help me decide. When the whistle arrived it was perfect and they slipped a bar of Christmas chocolate into the package!!
Montana

Post by Montana »

Well if we're making a list and checking it twice, add Paul Busman to the list. I know many folks are afraid of wood so not many get to deal with him.
And I guess I would like to add one whistle tweaker to the list: Jerry Freeman sent me a spare whistle body free of charge when I told him I had a Gen that had been bent... and I hadn't bought the Gen from him.
Nice folks all around.
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

It looks like there is a growing list!

I have to say that Phil's "Whistleworks" CD is great! It's wonderful that he decided to shared that with us.

I have to add ALBA Stacey O'Gorman to the list of great customer service whistle makers. I have received 2 free whistles from her and will soon be getting a third free one in the mail! How Wonderful is that!!!? I won a Q1 and she sent along an Alto G for me and now I have won Chiffy's Twin in the Low D Tour Contest. I haven't even had to pay the shipping for any of these whistles!!! Thanks Stacey!!!

Also I would add Serpent to the list. I also won a trio of whistles from Bill and when he designed a new and improved head for his whistles, he had me send him my trio back and he refit a new head for the set at no charge. Thanks Bill!!!

Mack Hoover is a wonderful whistle maker and very generous too. I received a sweet sounding Bb praise whistle from him as a gift. Thanks Mack!!!

I think that the whistle world is just full of wonderful and generous people. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
glauber

Post by glauber »

blackhawk wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Not to take anything away from Phil's service, but I think that good service from whistlemakers has been the rule, rather than the exception, of late.

Dale
Very true. Even more than service, too. Sindt comes to mind, sending out his whistles without requiring prepayment.
That's what Glen Schultz did to me. At a certain point i had 2 of his whistles with me and he hadn't received a penny from me yet.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

fiddlecrazy wrote:
The whistle world is blessed with many more makers who consistently do good things for their customers.
Not only the whistle world, but the ITM world in general. Almost everyone I've met through ITM has been so nice! (what would I do with out this music!?)

Max
Well, that's right. A psychologist ought to do a study as to why there are so many nice, funny, and generous people in ITM. Maybe we can find a psychologist....

Dale