Am I the Only One Who Thinks

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

King of the Hill is like Beavis and Butthead without the offensive bits. As Walden said, a kind of a long running joke on rednecks. Not that there's anything wrong about that...

Simpsons rules! The good Futurama episodes are very good too, but Simpsons is really the yardstick all adult humour cartoons measure against, in the USA.

I like all of them, but Simpsons is the one i buy the DVDs for (and i even listen to the director's commentary in all episodes).

The leader is good, the leader is great, we surrender our wills as of this date!

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Na-na na-na na-na na-na Na-na na-na na-na na-na Leade--- *ahem*
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

fancypiper wrote:
Walden wrote:when they are eating at Whataburger
That was my favorite eating place when I was in flight training at Sofley Field in Pensacola, FL. Are they still in business?
http://www.whataburger.com
Reasonable person
Walden
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Why is it that not a single person has mentioned "Family Guy!" what is wrong with you people? I've been watching the simpsons since The Tracy Alman(sp) show. But family guy is the stuff right there. While the simpsons has humur that will make children as well as adults life, family guy is only for adults! But it sure is funny!
Cy
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I read that high DVD sales have prompted the Family Guy to go back into production, albeit on cable.
Reasonable person
Walden
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

You're damn tootin it is. They are making at least two new seasons. i'm just not sure if they are going to air of Cartoon network, or Fox. You have to love a Dog that drinks Martinis, a Baby with a football shaped head and a diabolical mind, and a Father who's chin looks like a set of... giggle berries.
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Personally, I thought the best adult cartoon was The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

They were funny when I was a kid and when I grew up some, they were roll in the floor funny.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

fancypiper wrote:Personally, I thought the best adult cartoon was The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

They were funny when I was a kid and when I grew up some, they were roll in the floor funny.
The ABSOLUTE BEST for entertaining the kids and keeping the adults in stitches too is:

BUGS BUNNY

Talk about hidden and subversive humor!!! I cannot think of anything at the moment but that cartoon is just chock full of inuendo and side jokes for adults. Funny thing is that even though the humor was geared to the times, a lot of it still applies to today's climate as well.

Actually, Warner Bros. cartoons in general were quite funny and irreverant.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

The Disney folks were pretty wacky as well.

I have a recording of Donald Duck getting a Lewinski that's hilarious.

I wonder if Walt ever heard Mel do that one?
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

fancypiper wrote:Personally, I thought the best adult cartoon was The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

Rocky and Bullwinkle would be quite funny on their own, but I think all of the side-bits (e.g. Fractured Fairy Tales) really gave it a kick! :lol: :lol:

Another show I find especially funny is Batman. I swear, there must be a gag every 30 seconds or so in every episode! :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Boobah frightens me severely.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
emmline

Post by emmline »

TelegramSam wrote:Boobah frightens me severely.
Kind of like the Pink Elephants nightmare sequence from Dumbo.

Is it just me, or are the drawings in the cartoons first mentioned in this thread really really ugly?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

emmline wrote:Is it just me, or are the drawings in the cartoons first mentioned in this thread really really ugly?
I think King of the Hill and Daria are okay. The Simpsons style doesn't appeal to me much. None of them are particularly well animated, though.

It seems to me that American animation technique simply evaporated at about the time the Flintstones and Rocky & Bullwinkle showed up. For my taste, nothing beats Tom & Jerry in that area. I was a big Foghorn Leghorn/Henery Hawk fan in my youth.

Regarding King of the Hill being a long Texas joke, I've been accused of that, myownself.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:Rocky and Bullwinkle would be quite funny on their own, but I think all of the side-bits (e.g. Fractured Fairy Tales) really gave it a kick! :lol: :lol:
Yeah, Rocky, Bullwinkle, Æsop & Son, Fractured Fairy Tales, Dudley, et al, were very entertaining. The modern movie imitation was a disaster, though it was nice having the original voice talent in Rocky's part.
Darwin wrote:It seems to me that American animation technique simply evaporated at about the time the Flintstones and Rocky & Bullwinkle showed up.
Pioneers of low-budget television limited animation. Then again, Japanese low-budget limited animation seems to be all the rage these days.
NorCalMusician wrote: The ABSOLUTE BEST for entertaining the kids and keeping the adults in stitches too is:

BUGS BUNNY
I think that the reason Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies sometimes don't get credited with the sophisticated humor that is clearly there is the sheer volume. People have grown up so bombarded with it that they pay it little attention. They saw it so many times as children, they fail to see it as adults. It remains popular, people remember enjoying it as children, and their children watch it, but they somehow tend to overlook it.
Reasonable person
Walden
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain were excellent, modern, Saturday morning cartoons . . . and that is something of a rarity. I remember Warner Brothers trying to recapture the "spirit" of the orginal Loony Tunes in the modern verson, "Tiny Toons" but it was childish and boring. Ick.
There was a "Slappy Squirel" Animaniacs cartoon about Woodstock and all its now famous music acts setting up outside Slappy's tree. I can imagine all the eight years olds watching it and going, huh? but the parents falling over laughing.
The best cartoons capture the interest of both adults and kids. I would rather watch a cartoon than the news. It ends up as a power struggle for the spare bedroom TV, as my mother can not constantly put up with Homer's stupidity, and I can't deal with Access Hollywood and the stupidity of the mass media.

Does anyone like Teacher's Pet as much as I do? I don't get to see it anymore but I love Nathan Lane as the voice of Spot and Jerry Stiller as the parrot. The movie is coming out of DVD . . . and I have to see it.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon