My Daughter just Graduated (Updated with Pictures!)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

You can't go wrong with a Prince Charlie jacket and vest. All of the bling helps too. He looks familiar. Does he play with a band? Is he an islander or a mainlander?

I thought grad usually happened later in June? Congrats nonetheless. Even if she is already of age, you are officially the parent of an adult.

So did you craft a special "graduation" whistle?

Cheers,
Aaron
jbarter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jbarter »

What age do youngsters graduate from High School and College in the US?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
emmline

Post by emmline »

jbarter wrote:What age do youngsters graduate from High School and College in the US?
Typically, they are 17-18(depending on birth month*) at high school grad, and four years older at college grad.

*age at school entry varies from state to state--some allow all students born in a certain year to start at the same time, others may require that a child turn 6 before entering first grade.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

And this prom thing is at (or near) the end of High School? Forgive the confusion but we don't have this in England (and I don't consider it safe to believe everything you see in TV series or 'teen' movies.) :-?
(BTW, my name is John)
Steven

Post by Steven »

The prom is a formal dance for the seniors (about to graduate) and sometimes the juniors (next class down), and usually occurs a couple of weeks before the end of school. Of course, jbarter, don't forget that you're asking questions about the US system, and Sandy (and her daughter) live in Canada. It is actually a different country, with a different school system. :wink:

:-)
Steven
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Steven wrote:Of course, jbarter, don't forget that you're asking questions about the US system, and Sandy (and her daughter) live in Canada. It is actually a different country, with a different school system. :wink:

:-)
Steven
Guess that means I just flunked Observation :D
(BTW, my name is John)
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Redwolf wrote:Your daughter has the handsomest, best-dressed gent there! Doggone it, guys...why don't you all start wearing the kilt? There's nothing that gets a Scottish lassie's heart pumping like a man in a kilt!

Redwolf
http://thebards.net/nagians/free_stickers.shtml

:lol:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hmm, I wonder where Amar is? After Sandy posted those pictures of her daughter, I was expecting him to offer to come visit....

:lol:
Steven
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

hey...what pictures....? can't see any?????????

oi. I just saw the pictures, what a beautiful daughter you've got sandy... 8)
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Thanks Amar!

Answers about the Canadian School system:

As long as a child turns 5 on or before Dec. 31, they can begin kindergarten. Kindergarten is held either in the morning or afternoon and is basically an introduction to school. The real stuff begins in Grade 1. Children generally graduate grade 12 at the age of 17 or 18 depending on when their birthday is. If their birthday is from Jan-June, they graduate at 18. In some of the Eastern provinces, school used to go up to grade 13. I don't know if that is still true.

The kids have their Graduation Ceremonys just before the end of the school year, not after. I think it is so that the school can fit it into their schedule before summer. This is just a guess! The students don't actually get their final graduation certificate until they receive their marks from their final, provincial exams. The certificates are generally posted to the students over the summer. I think this is a drag, but the way it is!

There were 150 grad students in my daughter's school this year! (The picture of them in cap and gown is at their old elementry school)

Walk-up is the ceremony where they get their temporary certificate and recognition of graduation. They wear the cap and gown and sit through awards and Bursary's.

Banquet is a fancy meal usually just for graduates and their dates but here, the school puts on a big meal for the parents as well. Here you see the side show, video etc.

Prom is a fancy dance just for the Grads and their dates. They get all dressed up and rent limo's (optional!).

My husband and my Mom are both English and have a hard time adjusting to all of the festivities as well! For me, I couldn't imagine putting in all that time and not being able to celebrate it. Though the best celebration of all is that first morning when you don't have to get up for school. (Of course, the moment is short lived as you now have to get up for work!)

The piper is from our pipe band, Duncan Legion Pipes and Drums.

I think that is it!

Sandy
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Congratulations Tabi!
Congratulations Sandy!

Great accomplishment, and it sounds like you have a fine school system.

I missed seeing both of my daughter's graduations. Our school district has a rule, miss 9 days and you fail (regardless of grades). So both quit early and got their HS diploma by exam from the state. They both grew up in the city and had more cosmopolitan views than their high school classmates. For example my oldest, was berated by the teacher in class at length because she was not attending a basketball pep rally on Saturday. She had a womens group to attend, a concert that her band was playing in, and was signed up to work at Food not Bombs, that feeds the homeless in Baltimore. She came home fuming. More importantly, the respect that the teachers lost would never be recovered. At 16 and a half, they were telling her, despite getting B's on her finals, that they were failing her again and she would need to attend for another 3 years. She quit, took her exam, scored in the top 10 percent, and started community college the next semister. Unfortunately our high school was all about getting money from the state, based on student attendance. Student achievement was way down thier list.

So tell Tabi she is triple blest. Good school system, good support from her parents, good effort on her part all went into that graduation.
Now she ready to start the really interesting learning experiences.

Congratulations and here's hoping both have opportunity to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Snuh

Post by Snuh »

Sandy Jasper wrote:Thanks Amar!

Prom is a fancy dance just for the Grads and their dates. They get all dressed up and rent limo's (optional!).

Sandy
At my old high school in Ontario, Prom wasn't just with limos. We had a full blown parade. Everyone would try to out-do each other from year to year. Horse back, fire trucks, fancy cars, a milk truck, scooters, even one guy carried in a chair by four friends dressed in togas. It's quite a spectacle.

For my prom, I went with three friends in a car we painted ourselves. It was pretty 'classy.' ;)

A.J.
Sandy Jasper

My Daughter Graduated! (Now Pics!)

Post by Sandy Jasper »

message from tabi, sandy's daughter...

hey mom
thanx for being there for me all thro my long years of high school, and thanx again for the time and money u put into it to make my graduation a dream come true.

Also i wanna say to everyone else that i enjoyed reading up on everyone else's graduation experiences. some how i feel privaleged to have gone to the school i was at. now the end is near and some how i feel as if i took too much for granted. It's a comfort to know that i have so much support from all my friends and family...and yes grandma! u2! i saw what u said! ne way, thanx again everyone, and its been a great year! :sniffle: :wink: :)

~tabi Jasper
Hils

Tabi

Post by Hils »

Hi Tabi,
You are welcome. Now put away all those school books and bring out your whistles, lets get serious. OK?
Grandma.