Thoroughly OT - Musical Tastes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
celt5
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by celt5 »

My favorite stuff is the bands that mix Irish
trad and rock music together. I also love punk, some of the harder rock music(it depends), but I also enjoy bluegrass, zydeco, and klezmer music too.
cj

Post by cj »

Other than Joanie, I too enjoy some of the modern Celtic stuff like Loreena McKennitt, Secret Garden, Eileen Ivers, etc. My favorite music is rock-n-roll-- Heart, Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, as well as some 90s rockers like Melissa Ethridge and Sheryl Crow. Also dig Sarah McLachlan. Love the country/rock/blues hybrid stylings of Steve Earle and Lucinda Williams (it's a southern thang!) Also into old-time--enjoying the O Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack.
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Anything but Hip Hopa and Rap! All depends on what genre I'm in the mood for!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

indie rock stuff, "alternative" stuff, punk stuff, glam rock stuff, goth stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff. I'm sort of new to the whole celtic/trad stuff. I just got sick of all the glock in the rocknroll world. It really is pretty vapid right now, except for a few underground acts....

my cd collection is on my website, though I haven't updated it in a while...

http://www.eccentrix.com/misc/telegrams ... ction.html

(yes, I stole that background. Sorry, but it was too cool to resist... :wink: )

stooopid urls...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TelegramSam on 2001-12-12 16:34 ]</font>
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Err... besides celtic... Alternative-rock, Indie, Lo-fi, Punk. Nirvana, Korn, Smashing Pumpkins, Eels, Portishead etc.
Straight-ahead Jazz, Bebop, Swing, Bossa Nova. Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson, AC Jobim, Chet Baker, and of course Miles Davis.
Classical, mainly baroque and romantic styles. Bach's sacred music, Vivaldi's sacred music, Chopin, Beethoven etc. Chinese classical music as well, with pipa soloing especially.
Lately I've taken to listening some backgroundish oldies like Edie Brickel as well.
Many genres besides most gospel music, most gothic music, trance, bubblegum pop albums (that means 95% of the boybands, and Britney "I'm a Slave for you" Spears) and phoney new age stuff.

Eld-"showing off"-arion =)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

This week I've listened to:

Global Communications (Ambient music), Steve Reich's latest, Kronos Quartet "5 Tango Sensations", Arvo Part's "Litany", John Coltrane Quartet's "Crescent", Radiohead's "Amnesiac," John Williams "Steam," El McMeen "The Lea Rig."
And, just now, Charlie Brown's Christmas.
mikey

Post by mikey »

I'm new here (just learning the tinwhistle; I stink, but I love to play!). I really enjoy listening to South American folk music-I'm learning how to play the quena. I really enjoy all of you guys posts!
mikey

Post by mikey »

I'm new here (just learning the tinwhistle; I stink, but I love to play!). I really enjoy listening to South American folk music-I'm learning how to play the quena. I really enjoy all of you guys posts!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

<P>Aside from trad (vocals, ensembles, solo, all stripes thereof) I like some of the newer "Celtic" music - stuff by Shooglenifty, Mary Jane Lamond, Ashley MacIsaac, Tannas, Martyn Bennett and the Peatbog Faeries are a few bands whose names spring to mind.

<P>I listen to a lot of underground (or formerly underground) music, PJ Harvey, Joy Division, Bauhaus, the Pixies, Nirvana, REM, Sleater Kinney, Prick, Lucky Pierre, Ruby, Pere Ubu, Wesley Willis are all artists whose CDs I will not leave home without.

<P>I also find myself listening to 80s rock/new wave these days - The Cars, Queen...all the usual suspects.

<P>The Beatles, Vivaldi, and Hindi Dance are also favorites.

<P>~Firefly
mdhop

Post by mdhop »

Hi everyone... Yet another newbie to whistles and the board. I'm expecting a Burke Brass Pro D very soon (not soon enough), so forgive my excitement!

Regarding other styles:

My primary musical love is anything that magnifies the Creator. Everything else is about styles.

Stylistically, my favorite artists tend to be the ones you can't pin down to any particular label. A perfect example is Burlap to Cashmere. Check out their 1998 release: "Anybody Out There?" Every song is different... wonderful rhythms (give me that percussion any day) and textures (not to mention diverse vocal styles).

I also love Jazz, Big-Band... some traditional Latin, African, Indian music, too.

... almost any kind of music that requires genuine talent and makes me smile. :smile:

See ya 'round the board.
-md
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I have rather wide ranging tastes.
Firt there's American folk (the only stuff I play consistently). This could include Appalachian, Urban, blue Grass, Old Time, Irish, Genereal contra-dance, Cajun.

Additionally the general styles I like to listen to include:
Classical, Baroque, Romantic including Bach, Mozart, Bethoven, Liszt, Korsakove, Strauss, and so forth. Jazz and blues as well as 60's-70's Rock.

Here's a short list of artists I like:
Jethro Tuhl, Beatles, Who, The Doors, Traffic, Cream, Iron Butterfly, Eric Clapton, Sarah McLaughlin, Lothlorian, Lunasa, Matt Malloy, Tanahill Weavers, Altan, Solas, Clannad, Tangerine Dream, Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young), Lenard Cohen, Peter Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie, Carol King, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Arlo Guthrie, Fleetwood Mack, Stevie Nicks, Hendricks, Simon & Garfunkle, Phil Keagy (after Glass Harp), James Taylor, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Joe Cocker, Cat Stevens, Allman Brothers, Michael Hedges, Santana, Willie Nelson.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Other than Irish music, I like classical music, musical theater stuff, Kathy Mattea, John Prine, Ani Difranco, Indigo girls, and other people and groups that don't go together. I don't like Rock and Roll (so sue me), but I do like the Beatles and some other groups from around that time period. I don't like modern pop music. I like music that is easy on the ears, I guess.

:smile: Jessie
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I like the "new" country (not the older, twangy stuff). My husband got me interested in it. I also like musicals, classical music, and a few songs from some of the "boy bands" that have good harmonizing vocals.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Aside from trad. Irish stuff, which has become my most listened to type of music, I like old punk bands from the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's...don't really care for most of the current "alternative" stuff (in spite of their final popularity, Nirvana was good).

A few bands I like that are still out there (as far as I know): Sonic Youth, Fugazi, The Cramps, Pixies (disbanded I believe), Lard (?)...

I also kinda like some of the alternative country stuff like Wilco and Son Volt, and I listed to old time music on Saturday mornings on a local community radio show (it's growing on me).

-Brett
merlinthedog

Post by merlinthedog »

celtic, (some) "new age", folk - especially modern american. lately alot of irish and scottish as well