What's your board name mean? (revisited)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

I was named after my Great Uncle Vomit.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

emmline wrote:Has to do with when I first established an email account, about 10 years ago. My dad used to (still does) call me Emmaline, so I tried to use the name @flash.net (no longer in business.) After about 10 tries at creative spellings, since there were apparently some pre-existing emmalines@(not a real address)flash.net, I was getting careless and spelled it like that. emmline. It worked. Have stuck with it.
LOL! I had one like that for years! Back when we first got on the internet, I was mostly on vegetarian boards, and I wanted something that said "vegetarian." Of course, most variations on "vegetarian," "vegan," and "veg" were taken (and I didn't want something with a jillion numbers after it), so I hit on using my personalized license plate: "erbivrus" (sound it out...it works). I eventually stopped using it, partially because enough people on those boards knew me by my real name anyway (and netnicks had kind of fallen out of fashion) and partly because people kept assuming I was a guy (because of the "-us"). I've been either "Audrey" or "Redwolf" for years now, but there are still some people who call me "Erbie" (even people I've met in person and know socially).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Here on the farm, at the most inoppertune times, it's Cowtime!

time to chase 'em, time to work 'em, time to pull a calf, time to sell 'em, time to fix the fence, time to put up hay, etc.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Denny

Post by Denny »

My father ended a long tradition of naming the first born male Giles. Well, that and he isn't very imaginative!

Denny
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

school's mascot is the anteater.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
mcfeeley

Post by mcfeeley »

LimuHead wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:I would like to tell you about my handle, Bloomfield. But I can't. You see, a few months ago, I stood in my front yard at 3 am (Martin Milner's suggestion), and now I can't remember how I got the name. Must be getting old.
Here's the long version:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... c&start=28

Very entertaining reading. :lol:
This might be the shorter version:

http://www.alchemywebsite.com/bloomfld.html
-- Dan M.

There beside the weed and thistle, a man, a dog, and his tin whistle.
tripletdad

Post by tripletdad »

I have three 6yr old kids at home(Liam, Mary and Patrick). They are my life! :boggle:
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Amar' s my name, an indian name, and it means "immortal".
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Amar jii: kyaa haal hai, bhai sahaab? Kyaa aapko Hindi aati hai? :)

My nick means idiot or fool in Hindi/Urdu.

I worked for 16 years in a car factory in Luton, UK. Luton has a very diverse mix of ethnic groups: Irish, Indian, Pakistai, Bangladeshi, Chinese, Italian, West Indian, African... all make up significant fractions of the population, and the mix of work colleagues reflected this excellent variety.

Perhaps the most worthwhile thing to come out of those 16 years was the fact that some very patient friends taught me to speak, read and write Hindi and a little Punjabi. They also tried to teach me to read Urdu, but that was *too* difficult... After all, I'm English and we are crap at other languages. It's a relic from our imperial past - we still expect everyone else to speak English. Either that or we expect foreigners to understand us if we shout loudly enough.

If anyone is looking for an enjoyable language to learn (with a very cool writing script) I heartily recommend Hindi. It's easier than German!
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

buddhu, I'm sorry, but I don't speak any indian language :oops:
german, yes.:-)
My Dad is from Nagpur, he speaks marathi, hindi, urdu.
cheers!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Oh, man - I tried German when I was at school and couldn't cope... the words were just too long, they scared the hell out of me! :) My wife speaks German, though. She's obviously a tougher character than I am.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

"DaleWisely" roughly translates into "Dale Wisely" which means something like "open river valley smartly."

Yes. Makes you want to meditate.
glauber

Post by glauber »

My board name is German for "credulous guy". :wink:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

The rn part of it is well, cuz, I'm an rn. Which either stands for Registered Nurse or Regular Nuisance. You pick. The rebl part is from when I was a War Between the States re-enactor, and was a Confederate. It's also my license plate, which is why its rebl insted of rebel, since when I first got the plates the state only allowed 6 letters. I don't re-enact anymore, but I've kept the name and the plates. The license plates are always a good conversation starter.
buddhu wrote: we still expect everyone else to speak English. Either that or we expect foreigners to understand us if we shout loudly enough.
Oh man, my boss does this. We have a large Spanish speaking population in our county, and my boss doesn't speak a word of Spanish, and when she is trying to communicate with someone who doesn't speak English she just repeats what she is saying and gets louder and louder. It'd be kinda funny if it wasn't sad. And she even tends to speak louder when she's using one of our interpreters. I don't know why.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

rebl_rn wrote:The rn part of it is well, cuz, I'm an rn. Which either stands for Registered Nurse or Regular Nuisance. You pick. The rebl part is from when I was a War Between the States re-enactor, and was a Confederate.
I wonder which seems more unlikely - a Confederate reenactor in Wisconsin or a Union reenactor in South Carolina.