Best whistles for kids?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Yakas

Post by Yakas »

Personally, I would go with a Dixon. When I first started playing (two months ago.. how times flies) I had a Sweetone, a Clarke original, and a (pretty bad) Generation. For some reason they all sounded sort of bad to me, mostly because I couldn't play at all (though I know I hate the Generation even now. Or at least its upper register). This was really frustrating, because in addition to not being able to get notes right even when they were fingered right they still sounded bad.

Luckily I decided to stick with it, decided it was probably the whistles (it's always they're fault) and ordered a Dixon. The thing is really beautiful, it just always sounds good. When I first played it I distinctly remember thinking "Wow, this is really a nice whistle!" Having played it for a while and learned the basic technique I'm starting to get a little annoyed that I can't make it do anything really interesting, but that's the price that has to be paid. For a kid just starting I'd really recommend one, as from my experience younger people have a harder time getting into things. Dixon's also look like real instruments, which probably lessens the "forget it and lose it in the couch" possibility (that's what happened to the Clarke I got when I was about 7. Poor whistle :D)

Anyways, the plain high D non tunable ones go for something incredibly cheap like $15, and they're pretty darn durable (they're PVC whistles). Having one sitting in front of me, I highly recommend them to anyone picking up (or being coerced into picking up) a whistle for the first time.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're quiet. From all I've heard about Susato whistles, they're pretty loud instruments. For anyone learning, this is a bad thing (especially for anyone near them), for kids it's probably even more important. Unless you're a vengeful grandparent. In that case get a Susato =).

-Gabe
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

If you're considering as much as a $15 whistle, why not give a Serpent Brass Polly? They're fun, colorful, kid friendly whistles, but they're also excellent instruments, from the reviews I've seen and listening to the sound clip. Seems to me, they'd make a perfect gift whistle for a child.

http://www.serpentmusic.com/brassypolly.html

Best wishes,
Jerry
Numex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Numex »

Many thanks everyone--- there does seem to be general consensus towards the Sweetones, which, given the low cost, we could do more than one key, too. Since it wouldn't break the bank, it might leave enough left over for Mom to get something from Santa too :P .
For those of you with children that have taken to the whistle, do you pretty much give it to them and let them explore it on their own for a while, or do some informal lessons? Any parental/teacher approaches you've found by experience that kids respond with enthusiasm to?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

For many reasons, I'd rather tape a wooden recorder extra holes, than give my son a plastic/tin whistle. I believe in something magic in the contact of wood, esp. for children.

There's a source for cheap, cute wood whistles: they don't play that bad (a member of this board just yesterday commented how pleasantly surprised he was with his Adler-Heinrich), and they look cute at http://www.adler-heinrich.de/index_eng.html :

Best alternative: consider a 5-hole* pentatonic NA flute in a high key like B or C. They can't go wrong with harmony (even if both kids start "concerting"), they just can't reach upper second octave, and never get shrill.
Finally, they just look so nice to kids, esp. with a nice "bird" (totem).
This is my choice for my 7 1/2 years Sasha for Christmas.

* Or 6-hole taped to five.

For instance http://www.highspirits.com/mcart/index. ... e=3&cat=12 :

Also, just contact Vaporlock here on this board, ask him what he can do on time for Christmas...
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Serpent's polly whistles are excellent whistles, but I'd start them off on the sweetones, personally. The Pollies require much more specific breath control to play decently. If you don't mind putting up with a lot of squawking for a week or two until they get the hang of it, go with the polly, otherwise I'd stick with the sweetone.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Check with Mack Hoover to see what he would charge for twin non-tunable CPVC whistles, or splurge a bit and buy Whitecaps...
Just my $.02...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Check with Mack Hoover to see what he would charge for twin non-tunable CPVC whistles, or splurge a bit and buy Whitecaps...
Just my $.02...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

When I used to do a lot of fairs, I would sell Clarke tin whistles.
one day two kids came along with a grandma, she being a kindly old soul bought them each a sweetone, 15 mins later I came across the little girl playing away on the whistle, and her brother happly digging with his.
So best whistle for kids Clarke, fer ifin yer get fed up on it yer use fer a shovel :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Numex

Post by Numex »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:When I used to do a lot of fairs, I would sell Clarke tin whistles.
one day two kids came along with a grandma, she being a kindly old soul bought them each a sweetone, 15 mins later I came across the little girl playing away on the whistle, and her brother happly digging with his.
So best whistle for kids Clarke, fer ifin yer get fed up on it yer use fer a shovel :lol:
:lol: Well, the possibility of a similar scenario always exists. Since there's just a tad bit of sibling rivalry, they may try to outdo each other playing it. But at least the things aren't quite large enough for a serious weapon. Though others may disagree :P