Durty Flute Style

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

Tom, I can't find the "elder statesmen" ( ;) ) files on my computer, so I don't remember exactly who's on it, but here's one place you can get Conal O'Grada's CD if his is one you're interested in:

http://celticgrooves.homestead.com/CG_OGrada_Conal.html

Susan
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Blackbeer wrote:Boy this thread is turning me on to players I`ve never heard of. I listen to the 32 mp3s of the geezers at least once a day and many of them I would consider "down and dirty" players. What would be the best source to start grabbing these guys` CDs? Or is it a website cruise? Tom
Many of the "geezers" from that collection never recorded commercially; those recordings are from radio interviews and concerts. I can't remember exactly what all is in the "Geezer" collection; it was put together by bil mckenty in Philadelphia a few years ago from a couple of tapes, one that was originally compiled by Bill Dennehy in San Francisco (called "Flute Styles for Suki," because he made the tape for S.F. flute player Suki O'Raghallaigh), and the other was sent to him by a friend in England. These were all concert and radio interview recordings, mostly from RTE. A few of those "geezers" recorded albums, such as Josie McDermott and of course Paddy Carty.

Speaking of RTE, the "Come West Along the Road" video that Tony McMahon put together (and which is available in the US from Ossian USA or Celtic Grooves) shows Seamus Tansey playing a reel and Josie McDermott playing an air. This video is a classic if you're into the older stuff...it's got a short clip of Willie Clancy playing the pipes, several bits of Seamus Ennis, Kerry sets with Denis Murphy and Johnny O'Leary, and lots of other wonderful moments and musicians. There's nothing like watching these people play instead of just listening to a recording.
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by brad maloney »

Thanks for those links, good stuff. Re: Harry Bradley On a second listen I think he does fit the dirty specs, I like his band flute playing too. Gnarly & very Ballsy. I've ordered the Kevin Henry CD, I'll probably like it. Outside of the "Few Tunes" book/cd does John Skelton have any solo recordings?
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Outside of the "Few Tunes" book/cd does John Skelton have any
solo recordings?
Just to save others the trouble, yes. The first cd is I think out of print, and
from Brad's website -
<<
The new CD by John Skelton and Kieran O'Hare, “Double Barrelled,” will
be available directly from John and Kieran at the summer schools they
are doing (individually and collectively): Swannanoa, East Durham,
Augusta, and Lark in the Morning (for more details on these schools,
check out the July and August listings on the online Irish Flute Calendar).
John and Kieran are also setting up a Web site for orders, which should
be up and running by mid-July, at www.barrelmusic.com. John Skelton is
also releasing a book and CD set called “A Few More Tunes. ... ”
>>

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of any Irish flute players who are
considered to *not* play "dirty"? so as to compare the tonal differences.

Cheers, Lesl
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Not dirty? I would think Chris Norman would be at the top of that list. Very nice & clean playing. I don't think Kevin Crawford is very dirty either. But away from players like those I think of the "Huffy puffy" players like Josie McDermott as being the other end of the spectrum.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

I would consider Brian Finnegan would be a 'clean' player, unless you consider the tongued ornaments dirty. Jean-Michel Veillon would also easily fall into that catergory. Mike McGoldrick is also one of the cleaner guys around.

Gary Shannon seems to do both as well - play sweetly and clean one minute, then huffing and bleeting the next.

Regards,
- Ryan
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thanks Susan and Brad. Yes indeed it will be nice to see some of these guys play. I think I`ll just start getting some of these CDs. By the way as far as clean players go I have an album by Matt Molloy accompanied by Donal Lunny and I would say Matt plays pretty cleanly on it.
I had another breakthrough on the old Dixon last night about midnight. Yah man this is getting fun!!!!! :D

Tom