How many years have you been playing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How many years have you been playing?

I dont play. I lurk..
1%
<1 year
31%
1-3 years
38%
3-7 years
8%
7-10 years
6%
> 10 years
15%
I advised Clarke
2%

Total votes: 109

pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pthouron »

5 months. It is a struggle for playing time between the whistle and the guitar and those pesky 8 hours spent at work ( :( )every day!...
janice

Post by janice »

My Mom brought me back a whistle from Ireland in 1983 (I'm a sax player, how hard could it be to play a little piece of tin with no keys? :lol: ). I didn't start to seriously pursue playing trad until 1987, and got my pipes in 91.

I'm now about to start pursuing research (that will hopefully lead to my dissertation) on informal music education and adult learning with traditional music as the focus.....the point being that you never know where life will eventually take you, and that serendipity is a good thing!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

It is only 7 months since I started playing the whistle. I bought my first
Whistle about 10 years ago which sat on top of the fridge for all that
time. I still have it. It is my favorite. It is a Feadan, which is no longer being made, and I treasure it.
It plays well and has a great sound.
Guitar 48 years
5 String Banjo about 40 years
Ron Kiley
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Eleven years on whistle and bodhran, six good months on flute. Janice has an interesting idea for a thesis. It was serendipity that led me to ITM and serendipity that got me and a bodhran hooked up eleven years ago.

The whistle playing is so --so, but my flute playing is making my whistle playing better. Aackwards bass-- :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I should add too, that while I've been playing the whistle off and on for about (yikes!) 28 years, I haven't been playing Irish trad (at least that much) for anywhere near that long. When I first started playing whistle, I couldn't find a tutor anywhere, and I didn't know (or know OF) anyone else who played it, other than Will Millar of the Irish Rovers and Paddy Clancy of The Clancy Brothers. I figured out how to play some tunes I knew (mostly camp songs and hymns, and a few folk tunes) more or less on my own. Some time later I did find a tutorial (Robin Williamson's "Pennywhistle Book"), which helped quite a bit, but even then, most of the music was English and Welsh. While I picked up a few things from my Irish LPs (most of which were vocal rather than purely instrumental), I didn't start focusing seriously on Irish Trad until about a year ago.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

This is interesting! something I have wondered about people. 13years for me.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Playing 'seriously' for about two years.Really just starting to get a slight 'grasp' of Irish trad. instrumental music over the last year or so.
Previously mucked about with sax., Bass Clarinet,Boehm Flute(Jazz,Blues,Improv.)-though hadn't played anything for about ten years prior to re-discovering Irish music.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think this is an interesting question, and I'm glad so many folks have posted clarifiers to their votes. For example:

I've had a tin whistle since probably 1990 or so, a Hall crystal flute and a few bamboo flutes since 1993 or 94, but I didn't get serious on any of these instruments until last August. AND, I've only gotten truly, truly serious with ITM in the past 4-5 months. I voted less than 1 year, but I've been playing pub songs while my wife sings on the whistle since 1990, so it just depends on how you count the years.

As for other instruments, I'm an old sax player (school bands, semi-pro local jazz band), part-time mandolin picker (more off than on though) since 1988, and beer bottle blower since 1985... :wink:

Eric
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I've toyed with cheap whistles for years, but never really considered myself a whistle player until I joined Chiff and Fipple and got infected with WhOA. It did amazing things for my stress level. Case in point: I woke up in a foul mood this morning. As I was walking out the door, my wife handed me my Low D and said, "Here. You need this today."

Amazing discovery. The homeless guys leave you alone if you walk down the street playing a Low D. :D

Aerandir
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Whistle for about a year.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

6 years
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

It took me a while to actually work out how long I've played whistle, but I've finally figured it at 11+ years. I have vivid memories of living in an apartment when I first started playing whistle and having the elderly lady who lived upstairs commenting/asking, "Are you making those whistling noises? I keep hearing whistling noises. Are you making those whistling noises?"

One whistler's music is an upstair neighbor's whistling noise! :lol:
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Gee, I'm older than most and played longer than most...no wonder I don't need to ask as many questions, so I don't have 1000 posts yet!
Lolly
klezmusic

Post by klezmusic »

Since 1977-78 I think, or close enough. The end result was the breakup of a long term relationship. It was harder to lose his family than him. He never did cotton much to Irish music, but his mom and niece loved it.
Wendina

--
B sharp, C?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

lollycross wrote:Gee, I'm older than most and played longer than most...no wonder I don't need to ask as many questions, so I don't have 1000 posts yet!
Lolly
Touche.
Reasonable person
Walden