Need Help! Tin Whistle Recommendation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Need Help! Tin Whistle Recommendation

Post by ytliek »

Christophe wrote:Hi Freckle Girl, may I suggest a french maker, GMP whistles :

http://www.gmpinstruments.com/gmpinstru ... cueil.html

I actually own one of his high D a like it a lot. It's sweeter than the dixon trad, especially in the second octave. It's a bit louder, but not that much, and plays as easily. It's well in tune with a oxxooo fingering for c nat. The brass tube is as large as your dixon trad one. Il like the overall look with the wooden top, mine being boxwood. It should cost subtentially less than your limit, around 130 Euros. You should give them a look.
I also second the Killarney, I had one and enjoyed the sweet second octave.
Is GMP listed above on the whistlemakers list? I'd love to hear more about these whistles.

@Freckle Girl... you've already figured it out, not one whistle but three... at least! Any of those you mentioned will do.
Freckle Girl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Freckle Girl »

Seems I have to withdraw from my dream, to carry the one and only whistle with me and be happy whenever I take it out of my pocket.

Now I know, why there are multiple whistle bags to buy :oops:

While wandering through the whistle universe, I stumbled across Mick Hoover Whistles, which should be more suitable for living room playing. Has anyone experienced them? I dind't find sound examples or photos. Read, that the natC by OXXOOO should be a bit difficult. Should I add this one to my list?

The french one looks nice as well, but I found no sound example either.
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

Freckle girl, you may find the oxxooo fingering easier to play than cross fingering, unless you're really used to the latter. As for GMP sound samples, you'll find one in my soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/christophe17
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

Hmm, I thought OXXOOO is called cross fingering. I'm confused...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Don't be confused. Both OXX OOO and OXX XOX, as well as other combinations are cross fingerings for C natural. What works best depends on the whistle's design and the context of the note in the tune you are playing. Best to know and be able to play a few fingerings as your playing skill grows. Half-holing the top hole, DOO OOO is the one fingering that works on all whistles. Get comfortable with that one too.
Freckle Girl wrote: I stumbled across Mick Hoover Whistles, which should be more suitable for living room playing. Has anyone experienced them?
Sure, everyone has to have one or more of Mack's whistles. Mack Hoover is well known for his quiet whistles. He tends to make sweet sounding whistles. I have frequently said that Mack makes whistles with a very high giggle quotient. Yes, his whistles make me giggle. They are so darned sweet and pleasant to play that I can't help but break out in a laugh when I play them. Yes, put one on your list.

But again, remember, it's all relative. Mack's whistles are on the quiet side but may still be too loud to play in some situations. It depends on what you mean by "quiet". Mutes and the whisper method are your best solutions for playing at lowest volumes. And any whistle can do that. An O'Brien Rover made in Torrified Tiger Maple with a simple mute could be the one whistle to rule them all. Bilbo Baggins carried one in his pocket, or so I've been told. :D Or was that Bofur?
Freckle Girl wrote:Seems I have to withdraw from my dream, to carry the one and only whistle with me and be happy whenever I take it out of my pocket.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Whistles are social instruments. Whistles need the company of each other. You have to have a lot of them around each other to be happy. :D
Freckle Girl wrote:I would say I'm more the kind of one who likes the natural look and feel of a well made instrument. For that reason a pvc / full delrin whistle would not be my first choice. Carey Parks says, the sound of a whistle depends not so much from the material but from where the material is not - which means the holes. I'm far away of being wiser than carey, but I believe I can hear if the flute is made of wood, metal or plastics. That shouldn't become a religion but metal or wood comes closer to my vision.
While I can understand and support your vision I would also suggest that you keep an open mind regarding materials.

Work your way through the wood and metal whistles that are attractive to you first. But you may still find yourself singing like Bono. You know, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". Then look at alternative materials.

It is true that many whistlers, like yourself, believe that they can hear the sound of wood or brass or aluminum or plastic or unobtanium for that matter. I've made whistles out of many materials and to the same specifications. They sound substantially the same. The material will color the tone but the design and craftsmanship define the tone. Some materials limit design choices while other materials will enable particular design choices. You never know what combination of design and material will result in the whistles that allow you to express your music best until you find it. You might want to keep an open mind on the material. Buy 'em all. Try 'em all. Keep the ones that let your voice sing.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Feadoggie wrote:You might want to keep an open mind on the material. Buy 'em all. Try 'em all. Keep the ones that let your voice sing.
That's the way to go.
Freckle Girl wrote:I would say I'm more the kind of one who likes the natural look and feel of a well made instrument.
Yes, I'm in the touchy feely and natural look aesthetic camp, wood especially, but, bottom line is the whistle has to be in tune with itself and play well. If you think the Sweetheart whistles are too expensive that eliminates quite a lot of beautiful playing whistles that are same price level or even more expensive.

FG, take your time while on the hunt, browse the collections here on C&F, search the listed websites on the whistlemakers list and find a whistle you like... one whistle at a time. You can search any name whistlemaker here on C&F and threads will provide valuable insight into whistles and even clues for what not to look into any further.

Meanwhile, play the whistle(s) you already have and enjoy them! Have FUN with your whistling. :)
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

Meanwhile, play the whistle(s) you already have and enjoy them! Have FUN with your whistling. :)
I agree - I should turn over to play and have fun instead of worrying too much about what whistle would fit me best. The thing is, that playing with my Dixon takes away some of that fun because when I reach the higher pitch it starts to bother me. So ideally, I would make a decision soon - and return to playing.

But if I understand aright, many aspects are relative as feadoggie said or well, a matter of taste. I got an idea of that, while reading the reviews at "Wandering whistlers music archives", which I'm sure are well-known in this forum. It was hard to find a review of a whistle, that completely suited the author. So it seems to me feadoggies statement about whistles being social instruments is really true. This really made me laugh and I will begin to sew my multiple whistle pouch.
While I can understand and support your vision I would also suggest that you keep an open mind regarding materials.

Thank you for preventing me to be too closed-minded. In fact I heard a lot of very nice whistles made of composite material and I love my Parks Bb. What I mean is - there is a german saying what means: if a meal looks good, it tastes even better. I'm sure you have a similar wording overseas. For that reason I'm creeping around those beauties like the Milligan, O'Brien or Bleazys.

Maybe it's a good idea to talk to the makers and tell them what i like, so they could tell me if they can help me. This is something I haven't considered so far, but you encouraged me to do so.

Well, I hope I soon will be walking through the woods with a nice whistle in my pouch and feel like Bilbo Baggins. My feet already look as I'm a hobbit as I broke the right one two weeks ago, haha. Seems this is the perfect time to worry about what my new whistle would be...
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Freckle Girl wrote:While wandering through the whistle universe, I stumbled across Mick Hoover Whistles, which should be more suitable for living room playing. Has anyone experienced them? I dind't find sound examples or photos.
I think you might mean "Mack Hoover". If so, I've a couple of his whistles. He makes a nice narrow bore D which I think would be quite suitable for (quiet) living room playing. Me I like the quieter sound of his narrow bore D whistles; very easy to play and pretty sweet well up into the second octave and quite playable well beyond.
Read, that the natC by OXXOOO should be a bit difficult. Should I add this one to my list?
You should add any and every fingering permutation that will give you the precise tone, the colour and the intensity you want in a particular circumstance, and for preference will also mesh well with the previous and following fingerings. One nice thing about playing a simple system instrument is that there are many ways of fingering almost every note: you may find that oxxooo is a little sharp or a little flat of where you want to be -- and some whistles are made to finger Cnat this way while others are not. It'll be up to you to figure out which fingering(s) are best for your whistle and for the sound you wish to get out of it: you can try closing more holes, you can try half-, third- or quarter-holing one or more holes. Eventually you'll find something you like!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Brus

Post by Brus »

Feadoggie wrote:Whistles are social instruments. Whistles need the company of each other. You have to have a lot of them around each other to be happy. :D
I always wondered why some whistles were called "session" whistles.

Now I know.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
maki

Post by maki »

I've got many Mack Hoover whistles.
White Caps, a narrow bore brass, a wide bore brass telescopic, and others.
Great whistles all.
socar52

Post by socar52 »

My Mack Hoover "White Cap" is one of my favorite whistles and sounds particularly nice. It has a nice clear tone, sweet and pretty, and is relatively quiet. I like it best fitted on a metal Generation or Feadog type of body rather than the PVC body that I also got with it. I believe you can order just the White Cap head for around $35. It's an essential part of one's whistle portfolio.
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

I know I may reflect on the whistles that was talked about yet. But what so you think about the Lon Dubh Whistles? Would that be an option too for my living room and fondness for a soft 2nd register?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If the main thing is a very sweet 2nd octave, and moderate-to-low overall volume, might I suggest

-Sindt

-Killarney

-Freeman Feadog

Yes a narrow-bore Burke has a nice balance, pure 2nd octave but still full in the low octave.

None of the above ever clog for me, and I can clog an Overton in a few seconds.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
maki

Post by maki »

pancelticpiper wrote:If the main thing is a very sweet 2nd octave, and moderate-to-low overall volume, might I suggest

-Sindt

-Killarney

-Freeman Feadog

Yes a narrow-bore Burke has a nice balance, pure 2nd octave but still full in the low octave.

None of the above ever clog for me, and I can clog an Overton in a few seconds.
Jerry Freeman stopped making tweaked Feadogs a couple years ago.
Big Whistle carries an O'brien tweaked Feadog that is very good though.

http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/whistles?manuf=19
Freckle Girl

Post by Freckle Girl »

If the main thing is a very sweet 2nd octave, and moderate-to-low overall volume
YES! That's the main thing for me.

From that point of view, maybe a Burke would become my favourite. But the only thing I would miss there is a bit of that special "irish" tone. Not as much as the Generations or Feadogs have, but just a hint of this special tone, that sounds like yearning.

What do you think, which whistle comes as close as possible to this? The Hans Bracker, O'Brien Rover, Dave Milligan, Bleazey or Killarney?

Sorry for getting on your nerves. There is no shop where I can try these.

Thanks!