Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Devondancer update

Post by devondancer »

Full shoulder rebuild to come in April - I shall be bionic indeed!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Keep well then, and gain strength, my friend. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cork

Post by Cork »

It's good to hear that you could be a qualified candidate for a "rebuilt" shoulder.

In this case, I'd say the doctors are not about to make a mistake, not at all.

Look forward, to beyond the operation!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Oh, I am! I am currently strapped up so tightly I can't even twitch the fingers in my left hand - how is anyone supposed to play an instrument lie that? Well, my instruments, anyway, which all need two hands! I need my arms back!!
Still, with so many bionic bits there will be a lot less of me to go wrong in the future! And at least I can still listen to music - Berti, my heart goes out to you!
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

hi lesley, great to read that you got the green light...........hopefully things will go smoothly from here onwards and before you know it you will be playing again! sure you will be motivated to start rehab after the surgery ;) hehe.....
it's great to be bionic, I tell you.
now where is that six million?
maybe you can write tunes meanwhile? just tell ro the abc's ;)

take care lesley and hugs
berti
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Glad to know things are still heading in a positive direction.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and hoping that everything goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thank you, everyone. I am wandering around here with one arm and no functioning legs, reminding myself of the "What goes 99 bonk?" joke - a centipede with a wooden leg! Just what I feel like! At least new EC2 is behaving - a credit to me, in fact. Scary!

Ro is having to take over the cooking again, poor man, as one arm - and that one tied up with a stick - does not peel carrots well. I am the instructor! What fun. We get all the meals I like without me having to cook them! I could get used to this.

Has anyone else ever stirred their cooking with a whistle, incidentally? I have done it more than once, luckily with an elderly Gen which lives in the kitchen for just such eventualities. The spoon and the whistle look very similar, (they do?) and if the whistle is not actually in my mouth at that moment it is an easy mistake to make. Just wondered?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Has anyone else ever stirred their cooking with a whistle, incidentally? I have done it more than once, luckily with an elderly Gen which lives in the kitchen for just such eventualities. The spoon and the whistle look very similar, (they do?) and if the whistle is not actually in my mouth at that moment it is an easy mistake to make. Just wondered?
I've not done that, but I do have an old Feadog that makes a good back-scratcher: fact is, it's about the best back-scratcher that I've seen (that doesn't run on gasoline).

:wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

peeplj wrote:I've not done that, but I do have an old Feadog that makes a good back-scratcher: fact is, it's about the best back-scratcher that I've seen (that doesn't run on gasoline).
Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one... :oops:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

How many surgeries are you going to put us through? We've barely recuperated from the first one much less all the other ones. We're all going to have to take up deep breathing or something. Ro, you're going to have to get a new set of running shoes for this new marathon.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

Hi Lesley and Ro,
Stirring your cooking with a whistle? An elderly Gen? At least your sauce won't B flat.
Best wishes to you both :thumbsup:
Dennis
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Quote from mute: "How many surgeries are you going to put us through? We've barely recuperated from the first one much less all the other ones. We're all going to have to take up deep breathing or something. Ro, you're going to have to get a new set of running shoes for this new marathon."

Ah, but look how tough and experienced you are now! Not to mention that I am also tough and experienced! I can assure that it is not my first choice of things to do in April - I have seen too much of hospitals this last year - but I would like my arm back, and to be able to play again, and the pain is pretty mean, at times. The whole joint is mashed up and bits keep coming off and poking me. Luckily they saw it "live" on the scan, so realised what was happening. I was beginning to think I was going mad! No one realised at the time, and I certainly didn't, that the dear lady had done so much damage to the shoulder, because my stupid neck was so obviously damaged. Still, I shall be the bionic whistler soon, and at least the new shoulder will be artificial, not someone else's! I couldn't go through all that soul-searching again!

And my sauce will "C" better days, Dennis: it's a C Gen!
Denny

Post by Denny »

well that's a step up from Bb, innit
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

devondancer wrote:Oh, I am! I am currently strapped up so tightly I can't even twitch the fingers in my left hand - how is anyone supposed to play an instrument lie that? Well, my instruments, anyway, which all need two hands! I need my arms back!!
Lesly-- you can turn a whistle easily and non-permanently into a tabor pipe (sort of) and play it one handed.
Cover the top three holes with tape (not on wood, please). Put your fingers on the remaining three lower holes. Do not play the lower register.
Overblow and,removing one finger at a time, play D,E,F#,G. Now put the fingers back down, overblow even more and play A,B,C#,D.
There are a lot of bagpipe tunes that only need this one octave. That'll give you something to do while you recover from your total shoulder.

BTW-- we do those in our hospital OR, and people do very well with them. Good luck.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Cork

Post by Cork »

Good thinking, brewerpaul, a tabor pipe, a great idea!