Boy names?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

gonzo914 wrote:
JessieK wrote: This kid is making me too sick (STILL) to deserve a pretty name.
Boy, we didn't hear any of that kind of resentment the first time round, but then, the second kid always gets the shaft.
The first kid stopped making me sick at around 5 months of pregnancy (what a novelty - I am in my 7th month now and haven't felt human in quite a long time). The first pregnancy did not require IV hydration. It's not so much resentment as fear of possible personality.

A local friend suggested Ignatius. Iggy. We considered it, but it didn't make the cut. Saxon makes me think of Anglo-saxon. Millard is neat.

We looked at a map last night, looking for ideas. Nothing.
~JessieD
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: He got the short straw, being named Neil.
In fact, Neil is my 3rd son's middle name, I like it a lot!
Named after Neil Armstrong, first man to walk on the moon. :party:

M
I like the name Neil too, actually it might be a lot better for blending purposes to be named Neil rather than Saxon. I think Neil lost a bit of street cred after The Young Ones.

I just meant that after calling one son Saxon, they might at least have called the second Meat Loaf or Def Leppard.

I'll get me coat.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Martin Milner wrote:Meat Loaf
An acquaintance of mine used to call me Meat Loaf, under pretense that I looked like him. He's the only person that's ever said that, though, and no one else (myself included) seems to think I look like the man. Also, I don't wear ruffled shirts very often.

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

JessieK wrote:
gonzo914 wrote: Millard is neat.
Millard is very neat. I wish I had thought of it. In fact the more I think on it, the better it sounds.
djm

Post by djm »

I've been trying to think of uncommon or unconventional boy's names, since that's what you seem to be bent on. I remember a guy I knew named Frith, which is an Old English boy's name. When I looked this up, it lead to a couple of interesting web pages you might want to peruse:
http://www.ealdriht.org/names/Englishnames.htm
http://www.ealdriht.org/names/Norsenames.htm

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

djm wrote:I've been trying to think of uncommon or unconventional boy's names, since that's what you seem to be bent on. I remember a guy I knew named Frith, which is an Old English boy's name. When I looked this up, it lead to a couple of interesting web pages you might want to peruse:
http://www.ealdriht.org/names/Englishnames.htm
http://www.ealdriht.org/names/Norsenames.htm

djm
I think I'll go with Heathcliff :lol: . Since no one reads anymore it's unlikely to be recognized.

I don't care for the name Millard myself:
In his rise from a log cabin to wealth and the White House, Millard Fillmore demonstrated that through methodical industry and some competence an uninspiring man could make the American dream come true.
Also, it rhymes with nerd.

I think Alexander is nice. I like Alec for the nickname. And Neil as well. It is not used that often I don't think.

Once a child is named I think one shouldn't mention weird associations, that would be terrible. But before the name is chosen it seems like a good idea just in case. I have a friend whose has a grandchild named Livia. I cannot get the impression out of my mind of a murderous Roman woman (whether true or not), but they've never heard of her so I certainly wouldn't mention it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cynth wrote:I think I'll go with Heathcliff :lol: . Since no one reads anymore it's unlikely to be recognized.
Hey! You know, Mr. Darcy's name in Pride and Prejudice was Fitzwilliam. I totally think that someone should name their child that. :lol:

But seriously, doesn't the "Fitz" part of that mean "son of"? So, it would be "Son of William"?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Izzarina wrote:doesn't the "Fitz" part of that mean "son of"?
Yes. There's an old joke about the Irish gay couple: Patrick FitzWilliam and William FitzPatrick.
Cynth wrote:I think Alexander is nice. I like Alec for the nickname
If the nickname for Andrew is Drew, isn't the nickname for Alexander Der? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Congratulations wrote:Also, I don't wear ruffled shirts very often.
And whyever not?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Cynth wrote:
In his rise from a log cabin to wealth and the White House, Millard Fillmore demonstrated that through methodical industry and some competence an uninspiring man could make the American dream come true.
I would agree. You might as well put a sign on him that says "Beat Me Up and Take My Lunch Money. Please call for an appointment."

Same with Dillard and Willard.

Besides, none of these three names pas the "Shout it from the back porch" test.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denver.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:Denver.
better than Minneapolis innit? :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Denver.
better than Minneapolis innit? :D
Only in name. :P

Besides, Denver's a real honest-to-goodness namey-type name. But speaking of names that towns have, it's a darn sight better than Borup.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

gonzo914 wrote:
Cynth wrote:
I would agree. You might as well put a sign on him that says "Beat Me Up and Take My Lunch Money. Please call for an appointment."

Same with Dillard and Willard.

Besides, none of these three names pas the "Shout it from the back porch" test.
Millard is also easily changed to Mallard for ample abuse by classmates.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
ravensdream

Post by ravensdream »

Hi JessieK.
How about Cade Alexander? Joey & Cade sounds good together and Cade party of three works too! :lol:
Raven