$5400 Raffle - What a great community! :)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

I am not sure how to say this, but Talbert has asked me to post something about why I removed his name and his endeavor from the raffle, so I will try to explain myself. When Talbert joined the forum a few months ago, he came in kicking and screaming, saying things in a strange sort of language that angered a bunch of people. He left in a huff a bunch of times, criticizing our members, and he sent people, including me, angry mail. (Yes, I know my own history...I know I used to get heated about things, but this was a bit different, I think.) Anyway, when I started the raffle, the response was wonderful and I have really been thrilled with the turnout. Talbert wrote to me, offering 150 CDs. At first I didn't think I should accept his offer, because I didn't think his association with the raffle would spark positive reaction, but then I realized that the whistle community at large may not have been aware of the previous problems, and I realized that the CDs could help generate ticket sales. I told Talbert that I could not possibly mail them, but if he wanted to do it all, I would accept his offer. I do think the CDs helped generate ticket sales and that Talbert has been totally gracious about it. He has done a lot of work getting the CDs to people, and I really do appreciate it (on behalf of Jerry, the recipient of ALL proceeds from this endeavor). But now he has attacked people again. Talbert endorsed a particular brand of factory-made whistles and when Bloomfield voiced a preference for a different brand of (handmade) whistles, Talbert told Bloomfield that because he (Bloomfield) isn't a professional whistler, he shouldn't offer opinions on whistles. This upset some people, understandably, and instead of apologizing, Talbert lashed out, using curse words and saying negative things about the community. I think the ticket sales benefit of Talbert's CDs has already been attained, and at this time I don't feel comfortable having him connected with this very positive endeavor. Sorry if that bothers anyone.
~JessieD
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I thought it was beautiful and generous of Talbert to offer his CD to support Jerry, and I am sure that everyone here appreciated it. While I understand your decision to remove the offer of Talbert's CDs, Jessie, the recent little tempest-in-a-teapot has nothing to do with our collective support for Jerry and Arlene, I'd say.

(And in general, let's forget the whole mess, and Talbert is welcome to make a fresh start of it here on the chiffboard, and no hard feelings.)
/Bloomfield
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Well put, Bloomer. I appreciate Jessie's organizing efforts and the contributions of the donors. The efforts of both, particularly in light of the goal here, are worth acknowledging.

Jef
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Well, if people don't have a problem with Talbert remaining involved and if he is willing, I could change it back. My aim is to avoid conflict, not to create it, and if I have created it, I apologize. I have kind of a full plate right now and am not perfect.
~JessieD
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I think he should stay, as long as he hasn't already fulfilled his 150 CDs he donated. The raffle is a collective thing of this board, not a reflection on who we think is naughty or nice. Just my ramble opinion.

Jessie, it's amazing that you can do this at all (the memory of the first 3 months with my little daughter are still very fresh in my mind). Don't worry.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Do whatever you're comfortable with, Jessie. (As long as I win lots of whistles, that is!)
/Bloomfield
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Could somebody please define "tempest-in-a-teapot" for me?
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

TelegramSam wrote:Could somebody please define "tempest-in-a-teapot" for me?
Idiom:
tempest in a teacup/teapot

A great disturbance or uproar over a matter of little or no importance.
/Bloomfield
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Nonsense. Tempest in a Teapot is an old southern recipe made with lard, swine genitalia, vinegar, and chewing tobbaco. We use it here to treat both head lice and shingles.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Jessie,
i am fairly upset over your knee jerk reaction towards talbert,
You probably understand why.
Whatever happened to live and let live, and to concentrate on what is really important,
For what it is worth despite talberts bomb blast regarding dales comments:
A. I believe he made a genuine effort to make ammends in the best way he knew how.

B i have been all too impressed by his posts and their content IN GENERAL.
Give the guy a go i believe his intentions were genuine

C. strong personalities will always clash, it seems on this board there are many strong personalities

D. sometimes we all say things we regret later, but it shows we are human.

E the expence to talbert would be quite sizable in his endevours to assist a fellow whistler,

f some people communicate better then others, this is a fact of life, I see in the post in question talbert did not want to go any further and appeared to back down in the best way he knew how, dont be surprised if attacked further an equal and opposite reaction occurs,

Words are words , but actions speak louder
:thumbsup:
The focus here is on Jerry and his wife and not petty trivialities
Lets get on with it, and if talbert wished to continue despite recent occurences i will be even more impressed
Regards
David / boomerang
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

You wonder why I might have a knee-jerk reaction to something???

I sleep about an hour a day/night total, my daughter has gas and cries between every feeding, I am pissing blood, my gastrointestinal system is screwed up by the antibiotics for the kidney infection that had me hospitalized for a few days this week, I am freakin' exhausted, dealing with hundreds of raffle-related e-mails (most of them containing questions like how to send a payment (can people READ?!?), I am operating on empty and I DON'T WANT CONFLICT. If Talbert wants to pipe in and say he still wants to donate the remaining CDs, I will repost his stuff.

I am not interested in a lengthy discussion of Talbert's qualities. I was not involved int eh conflict and I don't want to be.
~JessieD
emmline

Post by emmline »

JessieK wrote:I am freakin' exhausted, dealing with hundreds of raffle-related e-mails (most of them containing questions like how to send a payment
Allow yourself a bit more of a sabbatical. Your body, baby, emotional health require it. File all raffle emails in a folder to get to later if you need to. No joke.
JessieK wrote: If Talbert wants to pipe in and say he still wants to donate the remaining CDs, I will repost his stuff.
This is reasonable. Most here understand the latest tiff to be of little importance, and would welcome Talbert's continued participation if he'd like to hit that ball back.

DO NOT allow anything having to do with C&F to get in the way of the prime directive: sleep when the kid sleeps.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Yeah, I think I would be just a little cranky too, Jessie!

Prime Directive #2:

Sleep when Hubby is at home and he isn't. I did this for Renee when we had little ones and it helped immeasurably.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I'm concerned about Jessie.

It's a wonderful thing she's doing, and I've been worrying that she has too much on her plate with Joey Rose coming early, and especially now with the hospitalization.

I would like to request that all this discussion about Talbert's continuing participation or non-participation in the raffle be set aside so that the taskload and aggravation we're creating for Jessie can be kept at a minimum.

I think there's been enough discussion of options regarding Talbert's involvement. He can communicate his own choice with a simple message to Jessie. Any further public discussion, in my opinion, will only be unnecessary, continued stirring.

I am very appreciative of Talbert's contribution to this project, and I think various board participants, including Jessie, have made it clear that he is valued and welcome here. I think, with more time and participation, he might discover that we're an OK bunch, and that there are ways of getting along amicably even when there are differences of opinion.

Also, just a reminder, in hopes of minimizing unnecessary emails for Jessie to answer,

JESSIE'S MAILING ADDRESS is posted at this link:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/mail4jerry.html

The link is also given in the first message in this thread, though you may have to do a bit of reading to get to it. It's the first of only two links in the message.

I believe Jessie posted her address as a GIF file on a separate post so webcrawlers and uninvolved parties can't grab it and generate junkmail.

Again, with my heartfelt thanks and best wishes for all,
Jerry
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

contribution to raffle.

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Jesse,

I would be very HONORED if I could keep my OBLIGATION towards my contribution for the raffle. Jerry Freeman is really the primary and sole reason why I offered to assist! I care for this man's family. I feel for his hard times. I have also been there. I'd rather not see anyone in a situation like this. He really deserves the very BEST!!!! LET GIVE IT TO HIM! - Thank You.

Bloomfield, no hard feelings on my end as well.

Board members, I appologize sincerely for the "choice" of word's. Look forward to seeing you all on the board.- Thank You! :) -T.S.C.
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!