What's your board name mean? (revisited)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Since there has been some debate on another thread as to whether or not Tyler Morris is my real name, I won't confirm or deny anything (I'm practicing for a career in govornment :P ), but I will explain it a bit...

A "Tyler" is the bloke who stands outside a Masonic lodge with a big damn sword to menace away and guard against cowans, drywallers, framers, concrete workers, lumber salesmen, door-to-door salesmen, and Stonecutters.
"Morris" is Welsh in origin, and in Cymraeg (from "Mawr" and "rys") it means "a hero, a warrior, brave man." It shares it's root with the word 'Marth', meaning great, and 'Marvors' meaning warlike.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My name, I.D.10-t, is a military job title. It is the people that launch the dihydrogen monoxide bomb (B.A.1100N). Our job has included supplying sky hooks and grid squares and other maintenance items (people thought our job was not important until they ran out of break light fluid). The worse part was one of our sorting jobs. People would mix-up metric and standard adjustable end wrenches (don’t even get me started in the left handed verses the right handed debate). I did do some on the side work calculating the conversion charts for lbs. to psi. (That took me three weeks to do)

The only bad part is that the job title looks like it spells idiot.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I.D.10-t wrote:My name, I.D.10-t, is a military job title. It is the people that launch the dihydrogen monoxide bomb (B.A.1100N). Our job has included supplying sky hooks and grid squares and other maintenance items (people thought our job was not important until they ran out of break light fluid). The worse part was one of our sorting jobs. People would mix-up metric and standard adjustable end wrenches (don’t even get me started in the left handed verses the right handed debate). I did do some on the side work calculating the conversion charts for lbs. to psi. (That took me three weeks to do)

The only bad part is that the job title looks like it spells idiot.
I thought your job was G-14 Classified....are they sending the black helicopters? :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Tyler Morris wrote:I thought your job was G-14 Classified....are they sending the black helicopters? :D
I always wear a AFDB when I post.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
doogieman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by doogieman »

My name is Douglas - Which I've been told means "From Dark Waters". I always liked that. My nick name has been Doogie for years (ya know one of those college "late night" revalations - If you say the ou in Doug like the ou in Through it would be Doog)

whatever

Doogie - that's me
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
mukade

Post by mukade »

Mukade = Centipede.

When I first came to Japan, I lived in an apartment nicknamed 'THe House of Mukade.'
I shared rooms with several Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans, which are much larger than centipedes in the UK and they also have a rather nasty bite.

The name stuck. :puppyeyes:

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I chose an 'assumed' name because 'Throat Warbler Mangrove' was just a bit silly for use as a board name. :D
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

At one point in my C&F live I was NorCalMusician. See page 1 for that explanation. I am now IDAwHOa.

If you are REALLY observant you will notice two things about that screen name. One is the work IDAHO. I now live in Southern Idaho, in Doc Jones' back yard (well, sort of). We moved here in the fall/winter of 2004/05 and just love it.

Another part of the word is WHOA. Yup, that delightful acronym for the mental state that just will not let us alone until we have purchased, traded or borrowed (dare I say stolen? :o ) yet another whistle. Me, I am sort of in recession right now although I have requests for information out on a Goldie Bari Bb and a Rose high d in pink ivory wood. I guess it is kinda like Alcoholism except this support group tends to feed the problem instead of relieve it. :roll:

Special thanks to jsluder for coining the IDAwHOa name in a contest I held just before we moved here.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Goshdurnit, Steve, we woulda never figgered it out, hyuk hyuk... :lol:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

The Weekenders wrote:Goshdurnit, Steve, we woulda never figgered it out, hyuk hyuk... :lol:
I did it for the "hair-color challenged" members, you see. :D
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

'Sally Ann', or my mother's level, 'Sarah Ann' (there should be a quiet yet highly menacing twist to that verbal request for my skinny posterior (well... at the time) to come within her reach for whatever youthful stupidity of a transgression I had most recently performed) ... hence
'annie', for my middle name, and the pet-name my husband uses for me plus 'mcu' for the first three of the thirteen letters of our last name (a combination of my maiden name and his ...um... batchelor name) for at least the last 23years and 1 day (had our happy anniversary yesterday!).

Like amar, I can't be bothered with the shift key, and having always admired e.e.cummings, see no need for capitalization of my name.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Tyler Morris wrote:"Morris" is Welsh in origin, and in Cymraeg (from "Mawr" and "rys") it means "a hero, a warrior, brave man." It shares it's root with the word 'Marth', meaning great, and 'Marvors' meaning warlike.
I wouldn't have thought there would be a need for a Welsh word for "hero, warrior, brave man..." Oh no, what have I said...knickers...twist... :o

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Will O'B = Will-Oh-Bee

A nickname I like to believe Will O'Ban would have had if he ever had a childhood.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

SteveShaw wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:"Morris" is Welsh in origin, and in Cymraeg (from "Mawr" and "rys") it means "a hero, a warrior, brave man." It shares it's root with the word 'Marth', meaning great, and 'Marvors' meaning warlike.
I wouldn't have thought there would be a need for a Welsh word for "hero, warrior, brave man..." Oh no, what have I said...knickers...twist... :o

Steve
It's the origin of the term mawrys dancer. You'd have to be heroic to dress and carry on like that in public. :wink: