OT: Man in Cathedral-Sex Radio Stunt Dies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

After I read this again I also want to clarify something, even though I said I wouldn't.

When I posted this I didn't think that people having sex in church was funny, I thought that the fact the man who did it had died was funny (even though that sounds worse). I just now realised that's what people thought (I'm slow).

And before I posted the story I'd never heard of Opie, Anthony or Sam Adams or any of the radio stations. I found the story on the front page of AOL.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

jim_mc wrote:Something someone said made me want to clarify a point. The couple in question did not have sex in the church as an act of protest or civil disobedience, they did it in order to win a contest.

Now, I blame the guys who planned the contest to a certain extent, as they were exploiting the contestants' exhibitionist tendencies. I also lay some blame at the feet of the sponsor who provided the prize, because he was fully aware of what was going to happen. Contestants were provided with a list of places and acts with corresponding point values. Churches were listed.

The sponsor of the event was Samuel Adams Brewery, and its owner, Jim Kuch (sp?). Mr. Kuch has since tried to distance himself from the events, but he knew exactly what was going on, as this was the second annual "Sex for Sam" contest. Sam as in Sam Adams beer. That's really what they called it.The prizes (as they did the previous year) included an expense paid trip to Boston and a guided tour of the brewery.

Other Opie and Anthony games and pranks included "Guess What's in My Pants," in which the hosts tried to discern how a female caller had groomed her pubic hair by the sound the phone made when rubbed on said area, and "Whip 'em Out Wednesday," or "WOW," in which women were encouraged to expose themselves out their car windows to listeners who displayed the WOW bumper sticker. They had a woman go to the live morning television show with Katie Couric (I don't know the name of the show) and expose her breasts to the camera. She had "WOW" written across her stomach. And they had listeners lined up at a Hillary Clinton appearance chanting "Show us your hooters!" and "Whip 'em out!" to Mrs. Clinton.

The show was an adolescent male's sex/breast obsessed fantasy that regularly degraded female listeners and callers. Drunkenness and drug abuse were treated as humorous or glamorous. Any males who criticized their actions were instantly labelled "fag." None of their humor was satirical, farcical or ironic. They actually seemed to think that what they were doing was funny on face value.

I support everyone's right to free speech, but as others here have suggested, there are many better uses for that freedom.
Jim,

The interesting thing is that this show was on a radio station that belongs to a huge media conglomerate. Even though it is the sort of media outlet whose owners profer conservative views and moral rectitude, it had no problem with the content of the Opie and Anthony show. It actually had no official reaction to the uproar until the folks at St.Patrick's threatened with a lawsuit.

PT
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Get help now Cranberry, before it's too late.