Watchya listenin' to?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Watchya listenin' to?

Post by OnTheMoor »

So what's everyone got in the cd player/computer/discman/walkman/tape player/gramaphone/a-trak/MP3 player/i-pod etc,etc,etc. at the moment?

I'm switching between The Kinnitty Sessions and Stan Rogers' Home in Halifax.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Ok. I hate these. They always out me as not only un-hip, but not even all that whistley.

The truth is I've spent the past week obsessed/possessed by The Phantom of the Opera. I can not play the cd, but then I'm compelled to sing it, which is worse, and if I don't do that, the songs play endlessly in my head anyway.

ps: i have a new Old Blind Dogs cd, but I have to wait 'til the Phantom releases its grip.
Last edited by emmline on Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't need no stinkin' Walkman. This one reel keeps going on and on and on in my head today, and what's driving me extra-batty is I don't know its name.

That, and all the voices.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I downloaded Tony Higgins' Port Gordon from the Clips & Snips Slow Airs page, and I'm playing it over and over in iTunes, because I find the harp version on the 110 Ireland's Best Slow Airs CD too confusing, as it's not just the melody.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
dapple

Post by dapple »

The following are loaded on my MP3 player:

1.) Mike & Mary Rafferty, "The Old Fireside Music";

2.) Brendan Ring, "Troublesome Things";

3.) The Positively Testcard, "Gas Up My Hotrod Stoker";

4.) Glenn Gould, "Goldberg Variations" Great Performances 1955;

5.) Oscar Shumsky, "The 21 Hungarian Dances"; and

6.) Joshua Redman Quartet, "MoodSwing."
~ David
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

emmline wrote:Ok. I hate these. They always out me as not only un-hip, but not even all that whistly.

The truth is I've spent the past week obsessed/possessed by The Phantom of the Opera. I can not play the cd, but then I'm compelled to sing it, which is worse, and if I don't do that, the songs play endlessly in my head anyway.
There is NOTHING wrong with that! It happens to be my absolute favourite musical and I have spent much time in my life obsessed with it...I own 10 recordings of it, 5 in foreign languages (Vienna, German, Japanese, Korean, and Dutch recordings).

After the recent postings slamming Solas, I suppose I'd look worse than you think you do for admitting what was in MY CD player and discman this week. *shrugs* I love the group, seeing them next week, and looking greatly forward to it...today I listened to some of The Hour Before Dawn and The Edge of Silence (which, although very far from traditional sounding...like...not at all...I still enjoy)...as well as Sharon Shannon's Out the Gap. Yesterday it was Tommy Peoples (Waiting for a Call) and Liz Carroll (Lost in the Loop).

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

emmline wrote:Ok. I hate these. They always out me as not only un-hip, but not even all that whistly.

ps: i have a new Old Blind Dogs cd, but I have to wait 'til the Phantom releases its grip.
Don't know if you had heard but they're making the Phantom into a big screen movie (a musical). Saw the preview at Vanity Fair... my girlfriend made me go.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I can't wait.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There's been a discussion of Solas on the flute board, plus I'm learning the set with the Miller's Maggot, so that's what I've been listening to. Other than that, Eliza Carthy's Anglicana, Joni Mitchell's Hissing of Summer Lawns, a bunch of Tom Waits and Frank Zappa -- Billy the Mountain may be dated, but it's priceless.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The past month or so I have been on a serious Lunasa listening binge...pretty much non-stop. Man, I gotta get some sleep.....right after Otherworld (again). :D
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas. Not what I grew up with but the more I listen to them, the more I get out of them. Just got a car with a casette player so was digging thru some old tapes, The Cure's Kiss Me... and The Special's first album, uh, the Beastie Boy's Paul's Boutique, among others. I see Elvis Costello has 2 albums coming out tomorrow, one a pop album and the other a classical. mike
JillyKB

Post by JillyKB »

Got Old Blind Dog's "Gab O' Mey" recording going at the moment. May switch to something else soon.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

hmmm....I don't know if I want to admit to a lot of this! :o Lately I've been on a Cherish the Ladies kick (well, this really isn't lately...I want to be Joanie Madden when I grow up :D ). Also, some Altan, Gaelic Storm, and the Wolfe Tones. Throw in the Beatles and a bunch of other garbage that my kids love for good measure, and that about sums it up.
Oh, and Em, I can relate to your Phantom fetish. I swear, I could listen to "My Fair Lady" over and over again....Just you WITE 'enry 'iggins, just you WITE! :wink:

Heather
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Three weeks ago I added a 2 mile walk to and from the train station to my office. It's been a breath of life listening to my walkman Cd player. I have two CD's I've been switching between. Both are filled with MP3's of various albums.
Here's the albums.
  • Ceol Aduaidh - Mairead ni Mhaonaigh and Frankie Kennedy
    The Tunes - Slainte
    The Best of Altan - Altan
    Broken Hearted I'll Wander - Dolores Keane and John Faulkner
    Wooden Flute Obsession - Various Artists (disk 1 and 2)
    Ready for the Strom - Deante
    Whisper of a Secret - Deante
    Dance Music of Ireland, Jigs and Reels (Celtophile)
    Music at Matt Molloy's - Various artists
    Traditional Irish Music in America: The East Coast - Various artists.
    In Good Company - Kevin Crawford
    Sunny Spells and Scattered Showers - Solas
    Lunasa - Lunasa
    Otherworld - Lunasa
    Ghostwood - Lothlorien
In addition, on weekends I've been listening to tracks out of 4 CD set called Blues: Juke Box Hits, 60 songs. Artists I've been partial to include John Lee Hooker, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Memphis Slim among others.
Last edited by LeeMarsh on Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Alastair Fraser "The Road North"
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.