Pakistani Drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Pakistani Drones

Post by PJ »

Most of the criticism I've heard about Pakistani pipes relate to the chanters and regs. I recall Antaine's article mentioned the extensive reworking done to the chanter and regulators by Tim Britton. However, what about the drones? Since the drones aren't keyed, how much trouble reworking do they need? Even Antaine mentioned that his drones were beautiful and stable once a little blutak was added.

Could Pakistani drones be a viable option?
Last edited by PJ on Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brianc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianc »

The ones I played (several years ago) were not at all balanced, difficult to keep in tune, and had a buzzing quality that I found rather irritating.

That was in 2000, so perhaps they've improved their workmanship, or perhaps not.

As for the set I played, I'd have to say that in regards to "viability", they were indeed viable.

As firewood.
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

I have the same ones as Antaine, and have fitted them with brass and styrene reeds. They have been extremely stable since (4 months without a single tuning issue), and are very well balanced with each other. To me, they could stand to be a bit louder relative to the chanter, but I think that's more an issue with chanter reed setup. Mr. Britton himself said that the drones are pretty good and didn't require much work at all, unlike the rest of the stuff. I plan on building a full set around them sometime.
David Lim

Re: Pakistani Drones

Post by David Lim »

Deleted

David
Last edited by David Lim on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Apologies. My intention was not to offend, merely to abbreviate. I've edited the original post.

PJ
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I was going to say the same... The reeds are really the only problem with the Pakistan drone's, New reeds and they work well...
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Also, cosmetically, they're not even too bad. Generally new reeds, a bit of polishing and some waxed thread for the joints and you're all set. Of course, they may vary from case to case.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Thanks PJ, I've removed my initial post.

David
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The drones on this recording are Pakistani made.

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... osephS.mp3
Paddy Finn

Post by Paddy Finn »

i dont know about uilleanns, but Pakistani GHB pipes drones could be aged more, harder the wood the better.
....oh mother dear, i'm over here. And I never will come back, for what keeps me here's the reek o' beer, the ladies and the craic.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Bíonn caora dhubh ar an tréad is gile. :roll:
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

Thank you Joseph :party:
{][_||_______||_][___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__]]_]
         \\
           \\
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Paddy Finn wrote:i dont know about uilleanns, but Pakistani GHB pipes drones could be aged more, harder the wood the better.
True dat. I would stay away from an Bagpipes made in Pakistan because buying from Pakistan is like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get. Over there they don't have a little thing called quality control so you could wind up with some thing decent (decent not good there is a fine line between the two) or some thing so bad it is an insutl to call it an instrument. When buying from Pakistan you are taking a huge risk. Yes I have experience with Pakistani pipes (not Uilleann but Smallpipes) generally with lots of work you might get some thing decent why waste you money you are better getting some thing like the Daye budget drones at least you know they are consistient. Remember Pakistani Pipes usually don't copst more than $50 to make so some thing good is usually a fluke.
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Ive never seen a set of Pakistani Uilleann Drones that couldnt be made to work "well even" with just a good set of reeds and the occasional bore change, sleeving the bore smaller/ or opening the bore with a d-bit or gun drill... but as for the Highland Pipes and as you mentioned smallpipes they do tend to need a lot more work to play....
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:The drones on this recording are Pakistani made.

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... osephS.mp3
I've heard them in person and they sound very good....very mellow and soft, which is what I like. I don't like a lot of buzzing...

-gary